ad: elecraft

Icom 7300: How to Properly Set Mic Gain

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Jan 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that is because out of the box, compression is enabled and set to a rather high value (5 or even 8, if I remember correctly). I was very sursprised about that, that this was the default "out of the box" setting.

M1WML likes this.
  2. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

While I will agree that the default compression setting is 5, I must disagree about it coming out of the box with compression enabled. I’ve bought three , brand new IC-7300s and not one of them came out of the box with compression enabled.

M1WML, K4XJ and K0UO like this.
  3. K3CWE

K3CWE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I been trying to figure out some of this on Ic-718 I recorded some of my conversations and there is some distortion. I am going to start with it sounds like it work. Enjoy the video.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well said
    I’m glad you loaded this up
    I’m planning to buy a 7300 for a little fun soon
    This is a must have for great audio

thank you so much

Sharing is Caring
    Kudos my dear radio friend

M1WML likes this.
  5. VE1RPX

VE1RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. I would like to add that there was a policy change on Nov 18, 2020. Text quoted below from the policy. All youtube creators received this as part of a policy update. It basically says that they can run ads on any video that has been uploaded. Cheers

YouTube’s right to monetize. As noted in the changes to our Terms of Service, YouTube has the right to monetize all content on the platform. YouTube will begin placing ads on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Program as part of this. Learn more in our blog.

M1WML likes this.
  6. AC4FZ

AC4FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is also the option of leaving microphone gain at default 50, leaving the processor off, not shouting into the microphone, and not having to listen to yourself all the time with the monitor turned on.
    I am just saying those are some options to consider with the stock hand mike.

W9WQA, WD4ELG and W8LGZ like this.
  7. W2JBL

W2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy LWC is on something or knows little about radio. Most ALC systems (with the exception of "look ahead" types in some SDRadios) actually generate distortion and flattoping instead of preventing it. ALC spikes caused by a slow attack time have been causing splatter for years. The correct setting is for ALC is on occasional voice peaks. Nobody uses a 'scope anymore it seems but it's very easy to see junk like that on a scope. Scopes are faster than peak reading wattmeters too. If the guy who made the video had a 'scope he would see he's alreay at 100 watts out before the ALC meter ever moved. The other big one is APC (power control) spikes. If you turn the output power down that too generates spikes. Add that to the junk from over used ALC and you get all the fine splatter you hear on the bands today. There's a reason they call it amateur radio...

W8LGZ, KC2YMO, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  8. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My 7300 is already set fine at mic gain at 60% and compression at level 3

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. WA9PND

WA9PND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's were I am set too, but after reading this thread, I may take it down to 50%/2 and see how it works.

10. K3PI

K3PI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found that you really need the Compression to be on but not any higher than 2....maybe a 3.
    My audio sounded really bad with compression any higher. The sweet spot is Comp between 1-3 and mic gain 40-60.

NV3C and KA0HCP like this.
  11. KW5USA

KW5USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Another great video, my friend!

12. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I always turn mic gain down until the power drops, then turn it back up slightly. Been doing this for 45 years now. And guess what? I just hit the Multi button and it shows 40%. This makes too much sense.

KB3JAE, WD4ELG and W8LGZ like this.
  13. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

breaker breaker for an audio check.
    go ahead breaker...
    thanks for the break, this is the little trucker east bound on the super slab....

memories...

14. K4SAX

K4SAX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very helpful. Thanks!

15. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to run a PR781 Goldline and ICOM does not like Dynamic Microphones. However, on my old Flex 6300, the WOWs I would get on every QSO was astonishing. Not every mic is made for every rig. You have to try different things. I find that the AB5N micmod to the HM-151 that he does on the stock ICOM 7000 Mic is absolutely Amazing! I can't find a better sound mic for that rig. I am not sure about the IC7300. I do own an IC705 and I am thinking of reaching out to AB5n to see if he can do a mod on the QRP mic that is included with the rig.