ad: CQMM-1

IC-705 QRP SDR Transceiver update, available in Japan around April 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Everybody wants a Porsche for the price of a Hyundai.

G3SEA likes this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Yep you are so right... as I just finish a voice QSO with the Slovak Republic (4800 miles away with a solar flux of 68) on 6 watts and a wire... I digress. Yep band conditions are just horrible.

WD4IGX and WN1MB like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Yep we are a different breed. We believe in quality and not quantity. I won't trade my 4800 mile QRP QSO for anything. Highlight of the year actually. Each weekend this Summer I would have a dozen or more 1000 mile contacts on 6 watts and a wire. Those mean more to me than all of the 100 watt contacts I've made. Not all of us need things easy.

WD4IGX, WN1MB, N1OOQ and 3 others like this.
  4. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As an Elecraft KX3 & PX3 owner I put in a reservation for the IC-705. I greatly enjoy using the KX3 and won’t sell it even after I get the 705. The 705 is going to be a welcome addition being that everything is combined (radio & spectrum scope) and the controls will be familiar to my 7300 and 9700. Although it’s only four connections, bolting the separate display to the KX3 for portable operation is kind of inconvenient but that was the only option of it’s kind for a highly portable radio with those features at that time. I suspect that the KX3’s receive and filtering capabilities will still outperform the 705 as it does against the 7300 but having everything in one box except the tuner (at least as we know it at this point in time) will be more convenient. I already have a few auto tuners that can be used with the 705 and while it’s still a couple of connections it’s not like I’ll be going back and forth between the KX3 and PX3’s controls.

Everybody wants a radio that’s perfect for them and for the most part that radio will never exist. There’s always going to be something that you’d like it to have or do. Sure, it would be nice to have a built in tuner and while that appears to be a slight disappointment at this time unless something changes, it’s not a deal breaker for me. Just think how many Yaesu FT-817’s were sold over the years and how it lacks an internal tuner. Granted this is at a higher price point but the 817/818 also doesn’t have a real time spectrum scope or built in sound card and a large display that’s easy to read.

Most of the complainers would never buy this radio anyway. That happens every time a new radio is released. It’s their way to justify to themselves that they aren’t buying one for whatever the real reason may be all while trying to make other people think that the radio that they will be buying will be inferior. It’s sort of like the inner 12 year old comes out. Every time a new Flex comes out we hear, “I don’t want a radio that I have to connect a computer to”, “that’s a garage door opener with a monitor connected to it”.

Someone that’s truly into portable operation and loves the thrill of making QRP contacts understands the advantages of a radio of this caliber and while not perfect, no other manufacturer has yet to release a radio as advanced as what the 705 will be when pertaining to portable operation. I am by no means an Icom fanboy. I have radios from each of the big three along with a couple of small brands and those radios fit my operating style for the application that I use them in. If Kenwood or Yaesu would have released a radio similar to this I would have preordered it. What’s sad is that some people are strictly Kenwood or Yaesu and the fact that it doesn’t have that brand on it will keep many people from buying it and making an excuse as to why it’s not the radio for them. We all know people like that. For now this is going to be the best option that we have until one of the other manufacturers steps up. That’s probably going to be Yaesu before Kenwood.

WD4IGX, W9JH, WW2PT and 1 other person like this.
  5. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is so much fun. It helps an operator understand how important the antenna is to the system. I seriously doubt most of those that posted so far ever worked as a QRP station, or even regularly throughout the year. Still, they're having their fun believing they need to run 100 watts or more, power to 'em, literally. I use low and high power and I'm having fun.

The 705 is on my list. Using a wire antenna already tuned for one or more bands also works for me. Still, for the non-QRP operators, or operators wanting an entirely different radio, why are you even posting on this thread? It is as foolish as a hardcore QRP operator bashing in an amplifier thread.

Also, the current price Icom noted about this radio in Yen is just over $1100 U.S. Buy what you can afford. Enjoy what you have. If you're having fun, you're doing it right. There will always be those that suppress one way or another to make themselves feel good. That does not seem like a healthy mindset.

Some operators simply do not understand operating QRP and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, making a contact 2500 miles away and more in this solar cycle and getting back an accurate report for a phone contact is quite satisfying. Please do not shoot me a 5/9 when we are not in a contest. You see, getting a 3/3 or 1/1 with 5W is fantastic, because "we know" what 100 watts could do. (No, I do not run FT8. PSK31 or RTTY is fine for me as I can type and enjoy a QSO)

WD4IGX and WN1MB like this.
  6. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What they say about the Zed is absolutely true. You could post something about how water is amazingly clear out of a mountain spring and get 100 trolls jumping in the fray in a heartbeat, talking about how their spring is clearer - or debating the opacity using the latest techniques which nobody drinking the water really cares about. And they probably drink soda instead of water, anyway.

If you're not interested in it, move on. Don't rain on the parade of folks who are - clearly, Icom has tapped a fair amount of market share in introducing the 705. Am I interested? Nope. Not my cup of tea. But I work QRP operators nearly every night on the watering hole frequency (7030 KHz) and I can tell you that there are a ton of folks interested.

My $0.02. Your mileage will certainly vary.

WD4IGX and K3SX like this.
  7. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably could be made reasonably priced, say $1200-1500 or so. Its not a matter of the electronics inside - that has already been mastered. Its a matter of ergonomics and ruggedness. For example, with a Yaesu FT-817/818, Codan 2110, etc. I can operate the radio with gloved hands if needed. The Yaesu has dedicated band and mode buttons along the top, and three function buttons. These all require a positive keypress, not a touchscreen tap or swipe. Ditto the Codan and others like it.

Yaesu, Icom, Elecraft et al all know how to make cases, controls, and connecting ports for their radios. So its just a matter of moving the I/O ports to more appropriate places, making the cases more rugged, and ditching the touch screens in favor of traditional controls.

The IC-705 is a very nice radio indeed, but I personally don't think that it is a serious field rig.....

K3FHP likes this.
  8. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Apples & Oranges - I personally have never thought to myself...you know I want to enjoy some radio time while out in the rain and mud. I have and will continue to operate outdoors with snow on the ground, but I have gloves that fold back allowing my fingers to manipulate the radio controls.

Serious field rig...I am unsure where Icom compares the 705 to a Codan 2110 in any literature, so why are your expectations and comments in this thread set for that. Still, the price difference is considerable. I wish you or anyone well in making a ergonomic and rugged $1200 - $1500 or so radio like the Codan 2110. I have used a friends Codan 2110 and it is a great radio for its expected use environment. I would purchase one from you and so would others. I also like my 817. It is another tool in the bag and has served me well. I'm still going to purchase the 705 because of the features it has over the 817 as well as the Codan.

Serious field rig? Your expectations seem improper for the Icom 705 or to expect that from a $1500 radio. Below are two images used to market the Codan and the Icom 705. One of those radios cost more than $1500, much more. Guess which one is the Codan folks. Also ask yourself if Icom is marketing this radio as a "...serious field rig..." if you are unsure.

Apples & Oranges

[​IMG]

VE7JBX likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

In 74 the family boat here was a 72 Olds 98 Custom Cruiser wagon a 5400# tank, the radio was so blah I dont even remember it.
    After replacing or removing a lot of the bolt on stuff with parts from a non smogger 69 98 455 the gas mileage went from 6-8 everywhere to 16 on the highway. It was so reliable we put 32oK on the odometer before selling. At 450K he junked it due to severe rust rot and wouldnt pass inspection. The engine and transmission were never overhauled.

Id love to see a serious IC-705 review especially on VHF/UHF.

Carl

W1YW likes this.
  10. KG5PTO

KG5PTO Ham Member QRZ Page

My quote was from exasperation. Have had a 703 for years. Get tired of other operators telling me to turn the power up or get off the air. I have made some really long contacts with it. Guess I’m just going to give up this whole thing because of the constant disrespect for people in the current era. It’s not all that fun to get a tirade from a guy running max power and chewing you out cause your signal is only an S5. Has happened more than once. My point being these operators can hear me.

11. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Such is true and I agree with most all of your points. But my point is that I do believe that it is possible to make a radio more rugged and field worthy in the $1200-$1500 class and it would likely be a good seller in its niche. As I've said, the IC-705 is a nice radio, but would not be MY choice for field use or even home use due to placement of the I/O ports and the touch screen.

But ya know what? That's just MY silly little opinion. Yours and others mileage may vary :)

W6KKO likes this.
  12. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You make a very good point. Why does an op run an amplifier? To be able to make a contact when less power won’t get through or simply to have a very strong signal. I’d guess that running an amp is more likely correlated with phone operation. If an op doesn’t like trying to dig a signal out of the noise, that’s his preference. When I hear a weak signal, I’m very curious, because it’s more likely to be DX or QRP, or both.

Getting back to the original point of this thread, the interest in the Icom 705 is very great, and in the absence of information, speculation is all we have. Maybe that’s Icom’s deliberate strategy.

K3FHP and WW2PT like this.
  13. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Weak signals? I pay EXTRA for those!

14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing a fancy modern QRP rig offers is bells and whistles; its 5W signal is no different than the one from my 1939 Meissner Signal Shifter with plug in coils to change bands.

The RX most often used is a 1934 National FBXA with a little help from a WW2 BC-453 for increased selectivity. I also have other vintage receivers with better performance when needed.

No, its not tiny, compact and portable which is of no concern to me.

All CW of course which is the only true way to operate QRP since it is the operator doing the actual work.

It took me almost 30 years to finish 9 Band DXCC with 5W....plus good antennas.

Carl

15. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don’t flatter yourself. I work both CW and phone via QRP. Without that built in internal amplifier neither is possible. I never flatter myself that I can do it via CW. I have friends that can’t chew gum and walk but can send and receive 20+ worlds a minute after 10 beers. Both CW & Phone require timing more than anything but phone is actually less forgiving when it comes to getting your signal heard on the other end.