ad: Retevis-1

IC-705 QRP SDR Transceiver update, available in Japan around April 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it will be around $1100 in the US.

2. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep - agree with so many other guys here. Gonna be $1500 by the time we see it in the USA. I've been to Akihabara too many times in the 1970s and 1980s ... saw prices on ham gear there ... only to find out the price went up at least 25% by the time it reached the USA. I assume (oh, I know not to) the same goes for UK and Europe, too. The Ken TS-820S was a perfect example that I clearly remember. That said ... Even at $1500, I would definitely buy the Icom before considering the KX2 (or 3) ... I've had so much good luck with Icom ... but also no complaints about the K2 (other than geez, it sure was expensive) either.

3. N9EAT

N9EAT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This will sell amazingly well in Japan, where the class 4 entry level license has a power limit of 10 watts. Likely a big reason for icom to make this rig. It's too bad it isn't full-duplex on vhf/uhf though.

4. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems Icom has recently targeted a a few of it's products more to the Japanese market. Some neat features on the R30 receiver are not usable in the US, but are very popular in Japan. I would have loved an APRS decode option.

5. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a Xiegu G90 for $299 delivered to the door in an Amazon Black Friday promo...very impressed for what I need. I have the Icome 703 which is awesome but I can part with over a grand for QRP. If the Xiegu doesn’t have major problems then it will be a great vacation radio, probably not an Icom but still a lot of fun for mobile or vacation with 20 watts.

G3SEA and KE0EYJ like this.
  6. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a nice enough portable but as I've said before, I just don’t think that Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu or Elecraft get it when designing field gear. What we really need is a more rugged HF/VHF/UHF radio – and I mean military type ruggedness in a class such as that of the Harris Falcon III, Barrett, or Codan radios. And not so many big knobs sticking out – they tend to break easily. Also not so many jacks/wires poking out of the sides. Its too messy and won’t easily fit into a case with stuff plugged in. And a true field radio will have universal power input – it will operate from internal batteries, or accept an input from 10-30vdc, or 110/220vac. All in one box. With today’s power supply technology it can be done fairly easily and keep weight reasonable too. Lastly, dump the touch screens. While okay on your tablet or smart phone, they are a real pain and a big mistake magnet on a field radio. The US Navy just dumped all of its touch screen navigation controls on its destroyers in favor of proven mechanical systems for the same reason. Such a radio would likely cost about the same as a tricked out KX-3 but would be much more value for dollar.

So the ham radio which still comes closer to these goals in this class is the good old Yaesu FT-817/818.

KF7VUT and KQ6XA like this.
  7. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever, I still want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I pre-ordered one months ago from HRO. Great Value. I bought a KX-3 when it came out as well.

9. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

A new ham will be sorely disappointed with lack of contacts due to QRP. This might make a nice 2nd rig for the new ham but I think that after he make contacts with his 100 watt rig this would only collect dust. QRP ops are a different breed. 73 de w8nsi jim

WD0BCT likes this.
  10. K7CAR

K7CAR Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP radio at the bottom of the cycle? LOL...... If they offered a 100 watt radio then I'd say it would be worth jumping on the band wagon...... 2-3 years from now it might make a dent in the QRP market. I recently purchased a Yaesu 991a 100 watt radio for $1000 in the USA. Always good to see a new radio hit the market it pushes the "older" radios down in price. My Icom 706 Mk 2, is still relevant after what....25 years?.....Another excellent radio will be hitting the used market in a few years.......Wahoo!.....:)

11. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since QRP is strongly associated with CW, a new ham would have to get up to speed on code to have a good chance. Using SSB on a QRP rig is much tougher. It is definitely harder to make contacts with QRP, but each one is a real adventure and amazing that signals can go so far with such little power. It is a sprawling hobby with many interests and niches. As they say, YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    W8NSI, G3SEA and WW2PT like this.
  12. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

10w of Icom is equal to about QRP 5w of Elecraft, anyway, due to the low average power output (regardless of the peak output).

13. N2PLI

N2PLI Ham Member QRZ Page

14. N2PLI

N2PLI Ham Member QRZ Page

For $1300.00 I hope it has a radio to snap on this control head.am a Icom person all the wAY.I THINK THAT YAESU 818 is a much much better choice.for its durability in outside usage

KF7VUT likes this.
  15. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

BUT, can you get the radio proposed above for the same price as the 705? Triple the price and MAYBE!

W8NSI likes this.