ad: Mountaingoat-1

IARU predicts end to mandatory code tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5LDW, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB1GYQ @ July 08 2003,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just ban preassembled HF rigs... forcing people to build their own will keep the unmotivated out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    KB1GYQ:
    Are you anywhere near Newington? The president of the ARRL sent me a personal E mail in which he stated that he was going to post his opinion. I wonder how long it will take him? Maybe you can stop by personally and ask.
    KC7JTY
    P.S. Good idea on the ban of preassembled rigs. The surface mount boards will be a real challenge though. I wonder how many of the CODE BOYS ever did any surface mount work?

2. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">kc7jty: Are you anywhere near Newington? The president of the ARRL sent me a personal E mail in which he stated that he was going to post his opinion. I wonder how long it will take him? Maybe you can stop by personally and ask.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Mecca is about an hour away... don't hold your breath, the ARRL is trying to walk the fence on this one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The surface mount boards will be a real challenge though. I wonder how many of the CODE BOYS ever did any surface mount work?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Give me a real-man's hair dryer, will solder! [​IMG]

3. N0PU

N0PU Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aj3x @ July 08 2003,11:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was a licensed 11 meter operator when the FCC required testing[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here we go again...

CB TESTING?

Would you please describe this test to me?

CB, never had testing that I am aware of... Just fill in a form and sign it and send it in with the fee...

Oh, wait, I think at one time you had to check some boxes on some of the forms that said you understood some material like rules and such... was THAT the test?[​IMG]

Or was it the signature part...

4. Guest

Guest Guest

W5USB <--- proud K2 owner #3503

Thanks Elecraft!  [​IMG]

5. KC9AZL

KC9AZL QRZ Member

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n9nds @ July 01 2003,14:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree that CW has its place along with PSK, RTTY, SSB, FM, AM, WSJT, Packet, etc. I have been a no-code Technician since 1991. This July 5th will be the 6th time in 12 years that I have attempted to pass the 5WPM test. I have put lots of effort into passing this test. I work 6m and 2m on CW and SSB. To treat us (no-coders) as CBers is an unfair representation. I have worked long and hard to understand proceedure and how things are done before I started operation on a band or mode. I send CW pretty well but my hearing of it is not too good. A lot of times I use software to help on the translation of CW. It doesn't work all of the time when the signal drops out and that is where my ear works to finish the job. I want to work CW but I'll be damned if I am going to go to a Dr. and claim a disability to try and get around the requirements. Many of the no-code Technicians I know are as good as any General. Advanced, or Extra operators out there. Take a look at the enforcement and see how many of these General+ license holders behave badly. I welcome the dropping of the code requirements. We are a declining breed of people. The saying is use the bands or we may loose them. Well look at the debate, "we don't want them around messing things up for us!" When they start taking away your bands for commercial interests remember those you sought to keep out. You get what you deserve.

Brad Roberson
    N9NDS[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you're hard of hearing you can take a sending test instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The president of the ARRL sent me a personal E mail in which he stated that he was going to post his opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    KC7JTY, since when did Jim Haynie start talking to freebanders. Give us a break and go away.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The president of the ARRL sent me a personal E mail in which he stated that he was going to post his opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    KC7JTY, since when did Jim Haynie start talking to freebanders. Give us a break and go away. [​IMG]

8. W4GID

W4GID Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote:KC7JTY
    K4WRI
    Can we see your picture?

Sure Boxcar you can see my picture.Go to www.cootersplace.com  

All comments are and will always be politically incorrect and subversive
    K4WRI

9. W4GID

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">W5USB <--- proud K2 owner #3503

Thanks Elecraft![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

K4WRI<---proud owner of a 10KW HF AMP
    Thanks DaveMade

K4WRI

10. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    I'm justy an instigator here...

FA is the one doing the work...
    When HE files and IF they assign it for comments, just make sure you are on the comment list...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If it's made known, you can bet I will be..

11. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k4wri @ July 07 2003,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">W5USB <--- proud K2 owner #3503

Thanks Elecraft![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

K4WRI<---proud owner of a 10KW HF AMP
    Thanks DaveMade

K4WRI[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    OH, now that's scary. 10KW sure is a big heap-o-par, sure you can handle it? Or better yet, can your Moonraker 4 antenna handle it?

Robert, the gig is up dude. You value your ticket as much as we value ours, you are just having a little fun with us. You aren't stupid. You know that we (and the FCC) know where you live...so tracing your 10KW "amplifar" enabled shack will be a breeze. And if you move without filing your 615 form, there are thousands of hams out there very adept at "finding folks" like you. So please don't hesitate to fire that baby up whenever you get a chance, ya' hear?

All comments are what I truly believe, no BS here.

Art

12. W4GID

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">W5USB
    Robert, the gig is up dude. You value your ticket as much as we value ours, you are just having a little fun with us. You aren't stupid. You know that we (and the FCC) know where you live...so tracing your 10KW "amplifar" enabled shack will be a breeze. And if you move without filing your 615 form, there are thousands of hams out there very adept at "finding folks" like you. So please don't hesitate to fire that baby up whenever you get a chance, ya' hear?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That sounds like real fun for a change.Wow I can just picture it now.Thousands of hams with there plaid, high water pants and foam front call sign caps with pitch forks and flaming torches.It will be great when y'all come over so I can show you what you can do with your cw keyers.
    O.K the amp is now at full duty cycle and the moonraker is glowing red!!Damn that echo sounds good on the HF bands.Can't wait to exchange QSL's with you Art.10-4 Good Buddy

Anytime you want to stop out here in the swamps of christmas and pay me a visit you more than welcome.

All comments are and will always be politically incorrect and subversive!

K4WRI

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Robert, that wasn't a threat...I don't threaten people. I was merely stating the obvious.

Amateur radio folks are serious about their hobby. They have been entrusted to "self-police" the bands allocated to them (us). They WILL report, without hesitation, any witnessed violations. If you think that you can sit there and pump out 35,000KW ERP night after night...then you haven't done your homework. Like I said, "pump it up" by all means. We look forward to seeing the story..right here on qrz.com. Florida ham BUSTED! equipment confiscated and fine levied.

Well, its getting late and I would hate to be responsible for making you late for your breakfast schedule, with James Best. Tell him HI from me. Handle it! Handle it! <--- Boss Hogg speak.

Art

14. N0TTW

N0TTW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] A sad day [​IMG]

I started as a Novice, then a Tech+ and I'm now a General. The sad part about this is now all you have to do is memorize the answers and get your license, if the code requirement is removed. Not a good thing for this TECHNICAL HOBBY. I know many Ham Techs that can't even design and build a simple Power Supply!!

Before someone says I'm one of those die hard code lovers, I am not. I petitioned the FCC for the reduction of the code speed before they even considered it. It's a skill that can be mastered at 5 WPM easily and teaches basic radio communication. I learned that speed in one week and passed it. I still use it to this day. So I hope the FCC doesn't remove it.

[​IMG] Here's a thought [​IMG]
    What really should be done is to provide endorsements to licenses (if they didn't get rid of the code) for SSB, PSK, FM, (Digital and Voice in all modes), even CW and such. I hear too many stations totally out of control with speech processors, or overdriving the mic, or using digital signals outside their bandwidth. That is what we really need, to keep this a technical hobby. Make the testing requirements for these modes as a demostration type, not multiple choice question and answer test. I know of many recent Hams that would fail this kind of test.

And let's get rid of multiple choice test all together, fill in the blanks would be good. If you can't understand electronic or radio theory, you don't need to be in this hobby. The Technician class is for getting the feet-wet (Novice in my time frame).

I'm all for code as a requirement, as well as testing for other modes.

Just my 2 cents....
    Chris

15. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cbbasher @ July 08 2003,14:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The president of the ARRL sent me a personal E mail in which he stated that he was going to post his opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    KC7JTY, since when did Jim Haynie start talking to freebanders. Give us a break and go away.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Are you saying you don't believe me no code boy?
    KC7JTY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.