ad: M2Ant-1

IARU predicts end to mandatory code tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5LDW, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5LDW

K5LDW Ham Member QRZ Page

The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) is now confidently forecasting that Morse code will be removed as an international treaty obligation for amateur radio licences.
    The issue has been discussed at the World Radiocommunication Conference in Geneva and no national delegate has sought to have code tests continue as a mandatory requirement.

IARU Secretary Dave Sumner K1ZZ said it is clear that the outcome of the conference will be to leave it to the discretion of radio administrations whether or not to have a Morse receiving and sending requirement.

A proposed new wording for the ITU Radio Regulation Article 25.5 is:
    "Administrations shall determine whether or not a person seeking a licence to operate an amateur station shall prove the ability to send and receive texts in Morse code signals."

The next stage is for this wording to be considered further before adoption.

The IARU policy is for the removal of the mandatory code requirement. Some nations will choose to continue with code tests, particularly those aligned with Russia.

Up until now the Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL) has not supported the removal of code tests in the United States, and abstained from voting on the issue.

A number of countries, including Britain and Holland, are already planning for the early removal of code tests, while in Australia VK radio amateurs are likely to be stuck with it until 2005 due to radio administration inertia

30th June

2. KE4MOB

KE4MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! I'm the first to reply!

Wake me up when this thread is over!

3. KG4TDM

KG4TDM Ham Member QRZ Page

The ONLY question left to answer in the CW saga is:
    So what is the date the FCC will end the CW testing requirement? Anyone have any idea?

4. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hip Hip Hu Ray! Sign me up for the test questions. [​IMG]

Morese Code is like learning another language, And I'm terrible with second languages. But, I will enjoy the use of the HF bands after passing the technical test. [​IMG]

Rod K9ROD

5. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4TDM @ June 30 2003,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The ONLY question left to answer in the CW saga is:
    So what is the date the FCC will end the CW testing requirement?  Anyone have any idea?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Are you kidding? Now we have to go through all the horse crap again on the national level.
    Now's the time for the ARRL to stand up and show its true colors by resisting the dropping of Morse as a requirement at all costs.

KC7JTY

6. NY7Q

NY7Q Guest

It is a very sad day for Ham Radio. I am so glad I had my time of fun and good operating. Even as I monitored the operators in field day this past weekend, I knew the clear end was near. I heard operators use "my personal is", seventy thirds ole buddy, very often. the caliber of operators nowadays is "sickning" to say the least. It all falls back on the "get it free" with little or no work or pride, attitude of our society today. I have spent many many hours of my time trying to help operators use proper procedures, but now, its just no use. People are for the most part lazy, no pride, and lets steal it attitude nowadays. CW has always been the "Gate" to hold out the riffraff, but face it, they have the numbers against real hams now. They have the votes. There's a new game in town, and I don't want to play their low life ways. Goodbye ham radio.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4TDM @ June 30 2003,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what is the date the FCC will end the CW testing requirement?  Anyone have any idea?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How long till the FCC drops the code test? That depends on several things:

First, the treaty has to change, which is probably already a done deal.

Second, The Congress has to ratify the revised treaty. Usually that's a rubber-stamp process, but it has to wait its turn on the agenda like everything else.

Third, FCC has to decide whether the issue requires a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) or not.

If FCC decides on an NPRM, that process could take a year or more, AFTER The Congress ratifies the revised treaty. There would be the NPRM, comment and reply comment periods, then a Report and Order (R&O) on the change, if any.

But FCC doesn't have to do an NPRM. Not all rules changes require NPRMs, particularly those that "remove a burden" from those affected. FCC may say that the whole code-test issue was discussed prior to the 2000 restructuring, and that they are simply following up by dumping what's left of code testing. This process could take only a few weeks after The Congress ratifies the new treaty. If FCC goes that route there won't be any comment period, and there won't be much anybody outside FCC can do about it.

FCC has been trying to reduce/eliminate code testing since 1975, so this should come as no surprise.

Now for the tough questions:

If code testing is completely dropped, what other changes should be made to the license structure? Should there be instant upgrades for some? More HF/MF privileges for Novices and Techs? Changes to the writtens?

73 de Jim, N2EY

8. N3JUJ

N3JUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems we are missing one of the main points of Amateur Radio, to provide communications in the event of an emergency. CW provides one of the most stable forms of communication, to eliminate CW as a requirement would eventually create a loss of this means to communicate.

Bob Hoeller
    N3JUJ

9. KC9CAU

KC9CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] i don't know about geting red of the code test i am just a tech i have only been a ham for a year even if they get red of the coed test i am still gonna learn code to try and keep code alive i hope to get upgraded before the change

thank you

christopher smith kc9cau tech hopefuly general soon

ps morse code for ever [​IMG]

10. W1PMC

W1PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

If CW is dropped as a testing requirement, I'd like to think that the FCC would replace the CW portion of the test with something else or else make the written test more difficult. I hope they don't just take away CW from the test and leave the written test alone!

11. IZ3ESV

IZ3ESV Ham Member QRZ Page

What we need is a petition!

SAVE HAM RADIO: NEED THE CODE!

--... ...--

12. Guest

Guest Guest

what is all the arguments about the removal of morse for
    full HF access. It is a mode like any other, and as long as
    the relevant exam is passed, this is enough for full HF
    access.
    I agree that it will not die out, but it is some what an out dated mode now, and should be left to the individual
    as to if he uses it or not.
    Does morse make you a better ham ?, I think not

13. kd5rpo

kd5rpo Ham Member QRZ Page

If element 1 is removed as a part of HF access, it should be replaced with a new part of the tests which covers correct operating proceedures. It should not be easy either.
    Maybe something covering what we all hear from a few currently licenced hams.

14. N3WJL

N3WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

5wpm isn't all that hard! It only took me a month of listening to the code tapes at lunch to get to that level.

I was however very happy when 13wpm was done away with!
    that was a god-awful speed! (give me 10 or 15 any day over 13&#33[​IMG]

IF they drop code I'd still like to see the code sub-bands saved.

15. KC9CAU

KC9CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

hey morse code is a must just this past weekend during field day we had a storm come in and wipe out all but 2 radios for the nightmy 6 mtr and our cw rig since 6 was dead for field day all we had was cw so we could keep working that night

leave morse alone

-.- -.-. ----. -.-. .- ..-

-.-. .... .-. .. ...   ... -- .. - ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.