ad: M2Ant-1

IARU predicts end to mandatory code tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5LDW, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0NVI

KC0NVI Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Well, I find this interesting... Once again we have something about the code requirement posted and it's like a feeding frenzy for sharks. The new guys all saying "Hurray!", and the experienced all saying "There goes the neighborhood".

So I figure I'll put my 2 cents in here as well, why not everyone else is.

I may only have a tech class ticket, and I'm not bitching about the code, either way here, do what has to be done to make the hobby live on. No matter what it takes. I've been listening on the HF bands for years, and it seems that learning the code is like a favorite past-time, because there are selected few that still use it to communicate. I know several Extra class that can't not even remember the letter "K". Seems that HF is really more of a long distnace simplex operation if one were to put it in a simplistic term. Yeah, there are those frequencies that only CW is used, and I say great, allow them to be used for that purpose. However, there are so many new general class tickets being issued that allows them the HF abilities, and CW and yet I hardly ever hear any of them say yeah I talked to a guy via CW in such in such place. It's always I contacted so and so over in such in such on 10M or 40M, he said he HEARD me 5x9. Where is the code at in I'd say 80% of these contacts...? Sitting in the drawer is where, the book used to learn it, now has 2 inches of dust on it. Now this is not the case for many, but for the majority it certainly appears that way. I may not be able to transmit on HF, but anyone can certainly listen in, and there are a lot of us that can not transmit that are learning from the examples most of the HF operators out there are doing, and I here, well may as well turn it over to the CB'ers... Seem that it already got there, and the CB'ers are even there ...

Now what is the excuse for the way that most of the HF operators are acting and doing?

Not a pretty picture if you really look at the WHOLE picture is it?

Keep the code, get rid of the code, eother way is fine. Just let me know when the barking is over and the main dog has moved in...

Till then, I'll be listening and learning...

The truth is, let's keep the hobby alive, we have to many other forms of competion out there, cell phones, email, the internet... All of which are well known by many around the world.

Keeping the hobby alive is what matters in all of this...

Just my .02 cents worth.

[​IMG]

2. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w1pmc @ June 30 2003,16:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If CW is dropped as a testing requirement, I'd like to think that the FCC would replace the CW portion of the test with something else or else make the written test more difficult. I hope they don't just take away CW from the test and leave the written test alone![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I purpose two classes:

1) pre-build, type accepted equiptment; tested on operation and practical problem solving, not electronic theory; limited in bands and power

2) build your own equiptment; tested on ablity to build equiptment; full privileges

All existing licenses grandfathered to "type 1".

3. N0OV

N0OV Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NY7Q @ June 29 2003,13:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is a very sad day for Ham Radio. I am so glad I had my time of fun and good operating.  Even as I monitored the operators in field day this past weekend, I knew the clear end was near. I heard operators use "my personal is", seventy thirds ole buddy, very often. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's time to move forward.  I agree we should not have to pass code to work on phone bands.

However, it's important not to forget about the past.  Code is what separated many hams from "others"

We should keep "code" in the band plans and encourage folks to keep "this art" alive.  

Special events, contests  [​IMG], maybe even an award for completing a specific number of contacts "milestones to encourage use"

I appreciate the "Elmers" who help us new folks learn best practices. That extra effort makes this hobbie worth doing!

Personally, I am very interested in digital and plan to focus on packet.  (then practice beating my computer against the desk in code when my power or operating system fails   [​IMG] )

Don't give up on all of us yet.

4. W0LC

W0LC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Where can I send my $2 and application to get one of them there ham licenses?"
    *Break*

5. AC0BE

AC0BE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm reading some good ideas here. I'm personally divided on this issue and the more I read, the more I think the answer is somewhere in between, like moving the code requirement up to Extra or giving the techs some of the HF bands, or [​IMG]

The FCC is obligated by the Regs to "...maintain..." the pool of qualified radio amateurs and they are going to look for ways to keep or increase our numbers. That's the law and they have to act on it.

This is good for us. Politically there is safety in numbers.
    But...whenever I think to myself that it is time to let go of the code requirement, something sticks in my craw.
    We have PSK and other digital means to punch through bad operating conditions all of which require a computer of some kind or another.

What about emergencies? The elegant simplicity of code in an emergency situation has a timeless value and somehow we need to keep it around not only by voluntary operators who are preserving an important part of our past, but also by some requirement. I ask myself how I would feel if I heard a distress call in code and I could not help because I did not have code. Even my wife who is not and is not going to be a HAM can appreciate the difference of this mode.

Lots of discussion is needed on this one before we completely we let go!

Steve KC0OZU

6. W4GID

W4GID Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it when I see people writing about how the removal of the code will cause havic on the airwaves.These are the same ops that never turn there hf rigs on but once a week to get on a net or get there 1010 numbers.Shake the mold and dust off,It'll be Allright!!!!
    From the swamps of christmas,florida.
    All messages will, and always be subversive!
    Robert K4WRI

7. KZ1X

KZ1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't really matter. All the good DX and contesting is on CW, as are most of the interesting and knowledgeable operators.

People in CC&R properties, or apartments, can't communicate when the sunspots are down because they can't put up antennas big enough to be useful on phone, on the bands that still have propagation. CW on 160, 75 and 40 will be 'it' for several years.

The laws don't matter. Physics matters. If you want to be a ham, learn and use CW, and communicate. Forget what the laws say about whether you have to learn it or not, you still have to, if you want to have any fun on the radio. Otherwise, you probably want another hobby.

8. W4GID

W4GID Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats right blame all the CB'ers.99.9 % of every licensed operator has been a cb'er himself at one time or another.I say since they are doing away with code get rid of the general and extra to.Make everyone equal to make these pre'madannas heads shrink back down to size a little.If someone wants to pound his,well keyer than more power to them.I could really care less.dit dah dah.

All comments are always totally politically incorrect and subversive in content!
    Robert K4WRI

9. AB2KT

AB2KT Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0NVI @ June 30 2003,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been listening on the HF bands for years, and it seems that learning the code is like a favorite past-time, because there are selected few that still use it to communicate.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0NVI @ June 30 2003,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been listening on the HF bands for years, and it seems that learning the code is like a favorite past-time, because there are selected few that still use it to communicate.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Huh?

Just this weekend, during Field Day, the HF CW activity was so intense, it was scarcely possible to find a clear 250Hz spot to land on. It was so dense on 20 meters, people were running well up into and past the conventional digital segments.

It's like that for any contest that allows CW.

If a band is open, even with no contest happening, there's plenty of CW going on. If there's rare DX around, the pileups are so enormous you can hardly pick out individual signals.

I just don't understand where the idea comes from that CW is dead and nobody is using it anymore. Maybe from people who've forgotten what is sounds like?

Frank
    AB2KT

10. WA8BZC

WA8BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

When FCC drops the CW requirement the only place you'll find me is on CW or MARS frequencies. Any regimentation will filter them. Give the ham bands to kids and lids.

NO CW IS JUST CB!

11. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

AB2KT has it right, CW is very likely the second most popular mode after voice. Try finding a spot to send out a CQ around 7.040 any night, and you won't be able to. What's even more suprising is that 7.040 is all QRP users, just imagine how many you can't hear. If you are having trouble finding a CW signal, you should have your radio checked out.

12. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0OZU @ June 30 2003,18:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The FCC is obligated by the Regs to "...maintain..." the pool of qualified radio amateurs and they are going to look for ways to keep or increase our numbers. That's the law and they have to act on it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yup! That's why morse code is going away as a requirement! Try to get a job as a radio op today, they don't want code...

It has it's place, and should never be banned, but it's simply not in demand or in use today by commercially viable, "qualifed radio operators".

13. Guest

Guest Guest

well i think its about time this has been waring for too long i already see people griping about this anyways. all you other fellow hams r right this dayand age we need a little spice now and again yes i used to be a cber ill admit it but i think that now that the code is gone u people will be afraid that all of the cbers will be getting on board i realy dont think so y cause some of them like to swear alot and cause problems steping on this one and so on well i have heard some hams that act just like cbers. so whats the diff on what happens? we all have to move with the times . just my 25 cents .

14. K8YS

K8YS Guest

Just because the IARN or ITU calls for the end of the international requirement does not mean that the FCC must follow!

The FCC has showen in the past that they will do as they please. Remember that CB is a hobby service and the international treaty says that all hobby services below 30MHz must exhibit morse knowledge.

It is time for all that want to keep the morse requirment to make your voice known at the commission.

15. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KE4MOB @ June 30 2003,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey!  I'm the first to reply!

Wake me up when this thread is over![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    KE4MOB, I'm afraid you are in for a LONG nap. This thread will never end... just die out, perhaps.

1. The ITU needs to actually vote and make the elimination of Morse code proficiency for HF operation official.
    2. The IARU then needs to act on that decision, and will most likely approve the recommended elimination of the International Morse requirement.
    3. The FCC needs to issue an "NPRM" (notice of proposed rule making) and hold hearings before there is a decision to eliminate the reequirement, or how to modify the requirement as it now stands.
    4. A final order will be issued changing the Amateur Rules.

Beaurocracy will take time. And there's no guarantee the FCC will eliminate the code requirement for all license classes.

Like it or not, the ITU makes one of the ultimate decisions in this matter. And they are NOT just Amateur Radio. They represent ALL the various International Radio Services. They are not just looking at this from an Amateur Radio standpoint, or a "I want the tradition to continue" or "I had to do 20 WPM, so everyone else should also." I doubt any broadcast engineer, TV station manager, or whoever makes up the ITU gives a darn (unless they are also an Amateur) about the Amateur tradition or what/how we use our frequencies. I truly believe they are simply looking at when will lead to the most efficient use of our allocations, which in their eyes, mean accommodating the greatest number of users. But before anyone jumps on that statement, I realize CW is the most efficient mode. BUT, does it accommodate the greatest number of users? An extremely efficient mode is not very useful or practical if most operators do not use it.
    I believe there should be some Morse requirement somewhere in the U.S. Amateur Service for the forseeable future. (That would most likely be at the Extra Class level.) But in addition, besides B****ing and moaning about the likely ITU elimination, we SHOULD be making plans on how to constructively DEAL with the change, rather than going kiscking and screaming to the FCC, and ARRL. If the rule passes the ITU, it WILL be inevitable; just a matter of time. Let's work to make Amateur stronger in the light of this, not tear it apart from within.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.