ad: elecraft

(HUMOR) Top Ten Reasons for the Use of QRO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2WH, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4CNG

W4CNG Ham Member QRZ Page

The most important power level to get to is 500 watts (when needed). After that it is less than 3DB to the top.....QRO when needed (not required). I do not push the 4x811's more than 70 watts, results are most excellent.
    Steve W4CNG

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc2ftn @ July 10 2003,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">100 watts is QRP on six-meters!

KC2FTN[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Maybe if you're using a dipole, it is.

5 elements on 6m has netted me stations in the UK, Portugal, Spain, France, Greenland, and several other countries in both Europe and South America. That beam was only 30 feet above the ground, BTW.

I've also heard guys with 10 watts and horizonal loops work the UK. Maybe it took them a bit longer, but they made it. That's all that counts in my book.

I never run more than 100 watts no matter what band I'm on. If I don't make the contact, I find something else to do or try another band. It's not the end of my life if I don't work somebody.

YMMV

3. KB1IAI

KB1IAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Im probably gonna get it for this, but:
    You guys didnt get it. It was a joke, so
    laugh already and move on. What a bunch
    of grouches.

Opportunity only knocks once,
    Temptation leans on the doorbell.

4. KB5SXH

KB5SXH Ham Member QRZ Page

While I took note of the humor meant in the original post, I thought I'd throw my two cents in here. (Why not, everyone else has)

My dad, who was a Novice back when the novice ticket was good for a year and you couldn't renew it (he never upgraded, either) keeps asking me why I don't set up a yagi running the legal limit. Since I now live in an apartment and only get on HF while mobile now, I guess its a moot point, but I always told him that "If I can't talk to him on 100W, I don't want to talk to him."

For thirteen years I've never put out much more than 100W, and I've been happy with it.

One of these days, maybe I'll run a gallon after I get someplace where I can set up a decent beam and won't melt the neighbor's satelite dish...

Whatever your into, have fun!

73's
    John

5. AE4FB

AE4FB QRZ Member QRZ Page

Who's the mobile?

6. AE4FB

Hell, Riley runs 1500 Watts AM Carrier with 80% Moudlation on 3885. Who doesn't? [​IMG]

7. AE4FB

Face it. Eventually you're going to want 480V 3 Phase....

8. AE4FB

For those nights when the CQ Wherever Contest Conflicts with your Rag Chew As Usual Contest... [​IMG]

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I forgot to add:

" Life's too long for QRO!"

Have fun, one and all!

10. KB7UXE

KB7UXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to run QRO,
    But after the fire, smell of burning feathers,
    setting the trees on fire,
    the neighbors complaining of their motion detectors,
    garage doors, cable boxes, baby monitors, car lights
    and all those kinds of things going off with every QRO QSO,
    I've decided to only run 1500 watts out...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

OK, a quick 10 more.  You can probably tell, I run a lot of QRP.  But, in all honesty, Reason #1 is true, in my case.

10.  I LOVE THE SMELL OF ARCing IN THE MORNING!

9.  All that money going to the power company… that’s “helping the economy,” right?

8.  Only weenies make RF exposure calculations!

7.  Living in an “RF bath” saves time washing!

6.  Openings?!  We don’t need no stinkin’ openings!

5.  The neighbors didn’t really need to watch “Everybody Loves Raymond,” did they?

4.  My Microwave broke.  ‘Gotta cook somehow.

3.  With this much RF, who needs birth control?

2.  A few genetic mutations never hurt anyone.

And the number one reason to run QRO…

I just spent over $4000 on an Icom PW1.  I had better use the darn thing.

Peter, N4LI
    Memphis

12. KC5AV

KC5AV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2WH @ July 09 2003,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Top Ten List for the Use of High Power

IT'S BETTER THAN SEX!!!!!!!.

(Music plays)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Speak for yourself. If it's better than sex, you're obviously doing something wrong somewhere.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. N8HE

N8HE Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody got any suggestions....Everytime I fire up my "kicker" that a freebander sold me, It melts the legs off my Tower. This thing was supposedly made from an X-ray machine bought used from a Major hospital. Takes 2 KW to drive it. [​IMG]

14. W3AB

W3AB Ham Member QRZ Page

The #1 reason for QRO.

Commerical interests say that if the bands aren't being used by hams, then they want them.

QRO will definately show that the bands are in use. No matter where they are, you WILL be heard, even if they are listening
    5 Kc away. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what you guys need:

SBE Water Cooled Newsletter

Scroll down and look at the Harris DX600 and the 1.5 Mw tx. also the 1.5 Mw air cooled dummy load which takes 9 inch hardline.

Rob
    K5UJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.