ad: Retevis-1

(HUMOR) Top Ten Reasons for the Use of QRO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2WH, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Top Ten List for the Use of High Power

Over the last 2 years, I have read a lot of posts about the use of or indiscriminate use of high power.  The pros and cons.  The users and non-users (non-believers).  And then you have the “QRP” crowd that sees low power as a religion and high power as the devil incarnate.

Well, I decided to put together my top 10 list for the legitimate use of high power.

Question “Why do hams insist on using high power”.

Number 10 – It’s the warm glow of the tube(s).
    Number 9 – It keeps heating costs down in the winter.
    Number 8 – We don’t like to wait in line for the rare one.
    Number 7 – We like to relegate other signals to utter insignificance.
    Number 6 – It keeps the antenna elements dry through IR losses.
    Number 5 – its fun to watch the bird’s feet smoke on transmit.
    Number 4 – Ionosphere?  What’s that?
    Number 3 – It makes the beer taste better.
    Number 2 – It fills the need to feel superior.

And the #1 answer “Why do hams insist on using high power”?

IT'S BETTER THAN SEX!!!!!!!.

(Music plays)

2. KC5ZQM

KC5ZQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Didididit didah dididit didah!

3. KB9OJS

KB9OJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a QRP'er, BUT I only run QRP when my parents and neighbors are home, but when they are at work or in bed, ANYTHING GOES! QRP is a challenge, but most of the time it is a challenge for me to not start throwing things and yell after the guy down the street can't hear me. I wonder if I just save up my breath, open the window, and yell out it, if that will work better than QRP. Sometimes it feels like a Verizon wireless commercial "Can you hear me now? No." One day when I get out of college, I'm gonna get me a KW. Right now, I just do my best with 100 watts on my IC-718.

One day when I finally get that amp and I consistently work DX on 20 meters with no problem while mister "5 watts of fury" can't talk to his neighbor 2 feet away, all you will hear me say to him is "EAT MY RF!!!!"

QRP-"Quit Runnin' Power"

Couldn't resist, kinda like a kid in a candy store.

73's all de John Bunyan, KB9OJS Amateur Extra Class  [​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2WH @ July 09 2003,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IT'S BETTER THAN SEX!!!!!!!.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Cant of had any good sex is all I can say.

5. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

(1) QRO removes the "Huh?" factor..

(2) The other operator never has to ask his logger if he heard what you said..

(3) No one ever tells you "Can you repeat the call?? The static took out your last transmission.."

(4) If someone gives you a 1-4 signal report, you know he's lying.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. N4INU

N4INU QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2WH @ July 09 2003,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Top Ten List for the Use of High Power

Over the last 2 years, I have read a lot of posts about the use of or indiscriminate use of high power.  The pros and cons.  The users and non-users (non-believers).  And then you have the “QRP” crowd that sees low power as a religion and high power as the devil incarnate.

Well, I decided to put together my top 10 list for the legitimate use of high power.

Question “Why do hams insist on using high power”.

Number 10 – It’s the warm glow of the tube(s).
    Number 9 – It keeps heating costs down in the winter.
    Number 8 – We don’t like to wait in line for the rare one.
    Number 7 – We like to relegate other signals to utter insignificance.
    Number 6 – It keeps the antenna elements dry through IR losses.
    Number 5 – its fun to watch the bird’s feet smoke on transmit.
    Number 4 – Ionosphere?  What’s that?
    Number 3 – It makes the beer taste better.
    Number 2 – It fills the need to feel superior.

And the #1 answer “Why do hams insist on using high power”?

(Music plays)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I must admit that i like the idea of QRP. It actually is very rewarding to the ego by making one feel smug, superior, and skillful. But it is also very frustrating. Far more often than not, a power output of 5W simply does not suffice to cut thru any QRM mustard. A power output of 100W is more than enough and 50W is quite ample. Experience indicates that 25W is a very good practical level with a dipole. I have talked to both South Africa and Japan on 25W. More is not needed unless you are one of those that likes to fire up the amp and go "ske-e-ewarsh, Haw, haw, haw"!!  As power diminishes below 25W the interaction between output power and fun changes from inverse to direct. So "low power", not "QRP", seems to be the optimum. I have never in my life operated above 200W and only rarely over 50W. More power than that is simply not needed. And K2WH's reasons 1,2, and 7 seem to be particularly applicable.

7. K6AER

K6AER Ham Member QRZ Page

Never call CQ with the amp on. Every one with a marginal antenna and station will call you back thinking you can work them because you’re the loudest station on the band. The 23 dB of signal difference between you and the QRP station is too much work. They have arm chair copy and you’re trying to dig them out of the noise. Twenty meters is different. Most of the stations are using a beam and amplifier and as a result copy is more square.  [​IMG]

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

On microwave, watch your antenna closely. Instant "Squab on the half dish!" (LOL)

9. AE4FB

AE4FB QRZ Member QRZ Page

10) The rules say 1500 watts for a reason. That’s the ante. You want in this game or not?

9) You don’t have to put up some weenie calling CQ on top of your 7 person round table.

8) You love check ins from 100 watt stations who just put up an antenna and can hear you 40 dB over who insist on speaking in long diatribes even though you told them you can barely hear them above the noise and haven’t managed to get their call yet.

7) If you don’t keep the ionosphere heated up good the 75 meter band will “go long”.

6) If an 8877 is run below 1500 watts it will start to foul with carbon and eventually clog your coax.

5) For the best reception you need to keep the carbon blown out of your feed lines so you can pull out the weak ones.

4) When you check in on 3843 the Head Possum won’t be telling you, “73 and Get a Signal, Bozo!”

3) Our boys are fighting in Iraq to keep you in cheap energy so it’s your, by God, patriotic 'murkin duty to “PUMP IT UP!”

2) South of the Mason Dixon 75 meters is considered the part of the NASCAR circuit.

1) Thanks to Riley’s wisdom and in a compromise for lowering the code requirement a 20 wpm Extra may now run 6000 Watts, a 13 wpm Advanced or Extra may run 3000 Watts and a 13 wpm General may run 2000 watts. Of course the slow code riff raff may only run 1500 Watts.

To show our appreciation for Riley’s sense of fair play we need to keep the fire in the wire!

10. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2WH @ July 09 2003,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Top Ten List for the Use of High Power[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    [ flame proof suit on ]
    How about because it's like 11m keydown contests! After all, the law states minimum power to make the contact, not the max all the time.
    [ flame proof suit still on ]

Have fun guys [​IMG]

11. AE4FB

11) You relly have to go for it to get that warm red glow out of a pair of 8877s.

12. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Hello there young man.

Quote (K2WH @ July 09 2003,11:22)

Don't knock it until you try it.

13. AE4FB

N4INU is correct! You just don't need to put more than 200 watts into your Alpha 77SX.

MMMM! Smoked Bird Feet. They are considered a delicacy at Dayton.

14. KA7MPX

KA7MPX Ham Member QRZ Page

My trademark on my QSL cards for the last 21 years and my web page ............PUMPING THE WATTAGE INTO YOUR COTTAGE !!! This can apply to 1 watt or 1500....
    God bless QRP (and QRO when needed)
    73's all
    Russ

15. kc2ftn

kc2ftn QRZ Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.