ad: HamHats-1

How could somebody find my mobile number?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by M7UYB, Jan 21, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M7UYB

M7UYB Ham Member QRZ Page

Please advise; Someone I spoke to on a local repeater today messaged me (they thought from my email address on my qrz profile) and it came through via text/imessage.

Please can someone explain how this is possible? Is my telephone number listed on my profile?

M7UYB.

2. N3HFS

N3HFS Ham Member QRZ Page

iMessage? As in Apple?
    If so, it's easy enough to be messaged via your email address if you have added it (maybe your AppleID) as an identifier. I have a handful of email addresses and phone numbers that can be iMessaged, and all come into my Messages app on my iPhone. Look for the blue background on the message. I'm not sure you can tell which of your identifiers they used to messaged you this way. Also, blue background is Apple user to Apple user messaging only, although I think there's talk about this changing in the future (it's up to Apple).
    If it's green background then it came via SMS and therefore I should think they have your phone number.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    M7UYB likes this.
  3. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you a member of a local club? If so, odds are you're in a directory.

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Callsign leads to FCC database. FC database gives city and maybe your address.

Any number of online "ID checking" sites will make the connection between your address and telephone number(s).

Any real privacy died years ago.

I've demonstrated more than once that as a good 'web digger' - I can build a multigeneration family tree in a couple of hours with just the year and high school you graduated from. Some folks find this scary but will not eschew web usage.

5. M7UYB

M7UYB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your response. I think this is the answer. I’ve never experienced an email come through as an iMessage before. The sender was as confused as I was, as the sender’s address was also his telephone number which he didn’t consent to being made available.

For anyone else who may experience this; I have now changed the email address on my QRZ page to one not associated with my Apple ID. Seems to have done the job.

N3HFS likes this.
  6. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How someone from the UK can end up in the FCC database, is another matter ;)

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

KL7KN likes this.