ad: ProAudio-1

HOA's Take Aim at Our Hobby!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA2SQQ, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What town and state is that.
    PRB-1 has been statutory in most states for years, so municipalities cannot restrict amateur radio antennas unreasonably.
    Here in Los Angeles, the city ordinance allows towers for hams up to 45' without a permit, and taller with a permit; and this is the second largest city in America...and it's all in the code.

2. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

How can property values go down if the Parity Act passes, if every restrictive covenant in every neighborhood will be subject to the same level of scrutiny? Did property values go down after PRB-1 or OTARD allowed OTA antennas and dishes to go up? The fact is that "reasonable accomodation" will mean that the HOA can say, "okay, you can put up a 5/8 wave antenna on 2 meters that isn't visible from the front of your house. If you put anything else up, we'll sue you and you will possibly go to JAIL if you don't comply"

Don't believe it? Read this:

https://homes.yahoo.com/photos/docu...of-backyard-play-set-photo-1439541170869.html

Article:

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/space...ver-color-of-backyard-play-set-004012326.html

That is from a neighborhood just south of my QTH. No new neighborhood built in the last 30 years in the Kansas City metro area allows amateur radio antennas, yet our amateur numbers are growing faster than most midwest cities. It's either violate your covenants, hide the antenna in the attic, or go mobile.

3. W6GH

W6GH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good. If it was slightly taller and had more real estate for a ground radial system, he could load it on 160 meters.

4. KM5GJ

KM5GJ QRZ Lifetime Member #78 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Eyes wide open, with the exception of someone who receives his license already in a restricted area, why would any ham move into such a area. And again "with eyes wide open" if you do don't expect someone else to bale you out. My XYL and I are both licensed. We are looking for a retirement home on one of three area large lakes. She is also a licensed real estate agent. My first question is "are there deed restrictions or HOA rules". Second question "Show me in writing" and if such are in place "NO thanks, we will look elsewhere".

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The argument about moving into an HOA, with or without prior knowledge of any existing antenna bans is not relevant.

The proposed objective behind the introduction of this bill currently in the Senate, is to create a new set of provisions for HOAs and hams to follow, which would replace existing antenna restrictions at HOAs. These new provisions would become effective regardless of any prior HOA land use preclusion's anyone may, or may not have signed in the past.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are all US Hams as stupid as this bloke? What exactly is a "prepared" member of the amateur radio service?
    Agreed... hams like this one and his obnoxious rant are the reason hams can be very unpopular with other homeowners.

Regards,

Rob
    zl1dfc

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, USE their Ammunition against them!! Use the link below, and MAKE SURE you Change the wording of BOTH sections and the Subject to SUPPORT the bill!!!

http://www.capwiz.com/advocacycenter/issues/alert/?alertid=64272626&type=CO.

These HOA Busybody Nazi's really irritate me, bunch of COMMUNIST SCUM!

(and the HILARIOUS part of this, is look at the Company that makes the email form software;
    CQ Rollcall!!!)

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams are declaring war with the HOA's
    WHUT???
    Nobody expected the HOA's to fire back??

Seriously......

9. WP3BM

WP3BM Ham Member QRZ Page

I work EMCOMM relay station and yes, I work from my home, because this is where I will be when emergency strikes. My HOA don't give a damn about antennas and that will not change in the future, why? because we believe that when you buy a property it is yours. Our HOA works only to keep our community safe from crime and to keep public areas nice and dandy. We have our share of hurricanes and severe weather and when that happens, even the government ask for the use of our repeaters and HF links. We do a lot of phone patching and help neighbors who need to communicate while the services are down. 73.

10. W0TRS

W0TRS Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE READ ALL OF IT BEFORE GOING NUTS

As someone who IS in a HOA I can say this...I hope they do NOT pass it..And before everyone goes off as I said I LIVE IN A HOA..Want a HOA that is hardcore come move next door..I can not even hide a antenna in a flagpole or anything else..Any antenna outside my house if found and out I go..However again before anyone goes off I do NOT think it should be passed..I chose to live here..Everyone who picks a HOA to live in did so of their own free will..The HOA did NOT go out with guns in hand and force people to live there..If you do not want people telling you that you can not have an antenna then it is easy...DONT PICK TO LIVE IN A HOA!!..Once again I live in a HOA and wanted to do so..I also knew by moving here I would NOT be able to have my dipole up or any other antenna..Did I lose my ham radio....nope still can get on the air now if I want just have to work a little harder to make a QSO..Do I agree with Judith Duncan from that letter..........NO I do not..Her lies are that of a fool and nothing more..However KY5U also has a very good point..Not just HOAs need to be reasonable but we as hams must as well..How can we beat the war drums of "All Else Fails" if we ourselves refuse to be unreasonable and not will to give a little as well..Would I ask to put my dipole up if it passed.....YEP and to say no I would as much a fool as Judith Duncan..If we refuse to to move well past "All Else Fails" or to be reasonable as well how or why should we demand a law to so we can have our way..Sorry I know this will not be well received however like anything else truth sometimes hurts..Though I do agree everyone should have a right to put a antenna up if they wish to I do not agree we should force it in a way that makes ham radio look bad or unreasonable..Does ham radio have a role to play when the lights go out or comms go down sure we do and always will but at what point are we being unreasonable..Remember in the end if you live in a HOA you CHOSE to live there the HOA DID NOT CHOOSE you....

K2NCC likes this.
  11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do and here's the thing. They are already losing the battle because they are not being reasonable, or even rational and everyone can clearly see that.

You might have noticed what we are seeking, has absolutely nothing to do with any of their objections. (70 foot towers? HOAs loosing all control? etc.. etc..) So basically since this bill in the Senate has none of that in it, they are looking pretty darn silly at the moment for objecting to things that doesn't even exist.

Let me give you the basic run down how this bill goes:

HOA: We object and don't want any 70 foot towers in our communities.

Hams: Sure no problem, we will just install a wire that is barely visible in the backyard instead.

HOA: We don't want to lose control over maintaining our communities, and we don't like any government interference and intervention.

Hams : Sure no problem, we will have the FCC draw up the rules in such a way that HOAs will still maintain controls in how reasonable antennas will be installed.

etc..etc..etc..

Additionally, I doubt anyone they are lobbying and sending letters to in these HOA developments, have even read this bill involving our proposed reasonable, and in many cases, entirely hidden antennas either.

I suspect if they actually did read the bill we have in the Senate in it's entirety, they would quickly discover the HOA are not telling them the truth.

I think the HOAs know this too. That's probably why they are now scrambling around in circles, trying to figure out what to do about it. So they decided to start a misinformation campaign, but that too is eventually going to become a losing proposition for them after people start finding out the truth.

Quite frankly, the bill as it is written, leaves them in a position where they are defenseless on the matter. They cannot provide any rational or valid logical argument to deny reasonable antennas in their respective communities. In fact, they already have to allow antennas in HOAs by law for that matter. For example, it's not logical to accept TV antennas on a pole in the backyard, and somehow come up with a rational explanation to deny the very same pole, but with a slightly different VHF antenna of a similar size and physical dimension as a TV antenna, installed on top of the very same pole instead. The only difference is one is a TV antenna, and one is a Ham radio antenna. They are almost identical antennas from a visual impact perspective but one is allowed, and the other is not.

Also keep in mind, a thin and practically invisible wire stretched across the backyard, has far less visual impact than any satellite TV dish or even a TV antenna on a pole does, so what could possibly be a valid argument against this type of antenna exactly?

Anyways, keep writing those lies and misconceptions, and thank you for making yourselves look bad, which only further assists us to reach one step closer to reaching our desired goals and endeavors.

12. N1XDS

N1XDS Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

As far as someone else that lives in a deed restricted that has HOA's I been fortunate to be let to put up only one in antenna behind my house and nothing else. No one else complains about it some of the neighbors think it's pretty cool that I have a antenna in the back yard. Yes, I had to ask permission to put it up and why I need to put it up and about a week later I was approved for the antenna installation as long it didn't cause any complaints from the neighbors or concerns.

K2NCC likes this.
  13. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

HOA's are Probably thinking along the old addage's

Give an inch-take a mile...
    opening pandoras box....
    floodwaters....
    etc
    etc
    etc
    Can't blame them.....

14. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Even as a "HAM" (I wonder why people do that?), it's nice to know I can choose to live where there isn't a neighbor's metal monstrosity out my window. Maintained appearance is one of, if not the point of living with CC&Rs.

I doubt anyone will complain about anything you can put up to help during an emergency. But does that mean I must have it cast a shadow on my joy for the the years between intended uses?

Very few of you will ever really help in an emergency, yet you're willing to undo a legal agreement to put up an antenna for "just in case"? Even worse, asking the government to come in and do so? Upset the harmony of potentially millions of people, just so you (the .003% of the US) can be ready for something that likely will never happen. Much more likely you'll be checking into nets and chasing awards.

Which of course doesn't hurt businesses who sell awards, manuals and orange vests.

I know some of you have horrible HOAs and restriction. But still I'd wager many more of you have promoted this Bill than have even tried to talk to your landlords or HOAs to find a happy medium.

Some HOAs have installed centralized ham-shacks so all licensed members of the covenant can use it. Similar as some do with TV, to get around letting everyone put a satellite dish up. (If a proper equal alternative is provided they can do so, as part of the same FCC ruling.) Maybe you can talk to your landlords about setting up a centralized comm-station. This Bill will never pass, so might as well get started.

Finally, there's always something else you can help with beside operating a radio.

15. N1XDS

N1XDS Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think the reason why people that live in deed restricted neighbors and want to have HOA's is because they want to live in a classy neighborhood to where they do not want someone to come in and buy or rent a house in the community and destroy the community. I'll give an example our neighbor two doors down the live in boyfriend decided he wanted to open a car mechanic shop that opens at any time in the morning and closes at any point of time in the hours and yes it got very loud in sound when hes out side working on the cars. He would park the cars in the streets, on top of the grass, blocking side walks nobody can get around unless they want to walk in the street to get around. The owner of the house never knew about what he was doing and he had the local sheriff office come by and check on the house to see what was going on.

One night the live in boyfriend of the daughter decided he wanted to work on the cars at 3:00am in the morning with loud air compress tools and I guess one of my neighbors saw what he was doing with all seven of the cars half in the road and half of them parked in the grass nobody could get around them called for the Sheriff office to respond so they did I guess the boyfriend got warned about loud ordinance violation from what everyone was told.

Few days later he started doing the same thing before it went on and on for the next week and I guess someone told the owner of the house the family was renting from showed up with the sheriff office and they evicted the family and same with the boyfriend cause they wouldn't stop the boyfriend from doing the same old things he was doing with working on the cars. The house looked awful they wouldn't take care of the grass, the yard, the house looked like run down they never did anything to help up keep of the house cause they were busted a few times by the HOA team for not up keeping the house to the proper standards.

Our neighbors are mixed type which means some are nice and speak to each other when everyone is out doing whatever in the front yard and some will just keep to themselves and won't speak at all when saying Hello or How are you doing or etc. Some are older couple's, younger couple just starting out and some are Military families only here for a short while.

One of my neighbors came over when I was putting up my antenna in the backyard he thought it looked great and ask what it was for I told him it was for Aircraft ADS-B it was a Airplane hobby of mine to see where all the airplanes flying over were at and etc.

A lot of families are putting up their homes up for sale and some the houses are sold and people moved in already in the recent months and past months. We are thinking of doing the same next year maybe moving up north some where.

K2NCC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.