ad: elecraft

HF NVIS Data Modes on a Budget

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4OBE

KE4OBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Then make a video for yourself incorporating things you want to see. That would be a solution. I have watched videos made by Julian and others as well. It doesn’t make sense to talk down to the man, as all one has to do is turn the video off or watch something else. Julian’s videos are really quite interesting.

WD4DXQ likes this.
  2. N6WJL

N6WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave constructive criticism - he came back by calling me names.
    But yeah! I was the one talking down, right?

The assumptions being made in this thread are beyond wild and I will now disengage.

3. W0JPO

W0JPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna used is not relevant for the purpose of the video. The video is about the truSDx radio and integrating it with a computer h/w and s/w for data modes, not the antenna. Everyone has their own antenna choices to make depending on their own criteria or can get antenna info, specific to their needs, from many other sources. The information provided by OH8STN on how to use this low cost/data-capable portable radio cannot be found elsewhere. We owe him some gratitude for doing as much as he's done here, and in other videos. I learned a lot watching one he did on RPi/FT817 integration. Everyone has different needs, can't cover them all in a short, digestible video. Give him a break!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  4. N6YWU

N6YWU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So? Unless he's a paid employee of yours, making something you want to see is not his job.
    (You can always pay for someone to make videos to your preferences, or DIY if you're good enough at that type of thing.)
    Maybe he made a video that covered what other people wanted to see, and it looks like he might have succeeded fairly well at that.

5. KD8ZWI

KD8ZWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you should re-watch the section beginning at 4:04, or even 4:38 - and ongoing... but I digress...

Frankly, I have seen many "ham made videos" and most of them are sub-par when compared to Julian's videos. Not only are his videos specific, applicable and well made - his style, creativity, manner of communicating and topic selection are always sharp and on point.

You, sir... started off by saying that Julian's opinions are not worth anything. I can honestly say that I value his opinions as published within his fine video's (and above) - far more so than that of yours' posted on this thread!

N0JRK and WD4DXQ like this.
  6. WD4DXQ

WD4DXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed...Julian's videos are excellent and I usually learn something new from most of them.

Keep up the good work Julian.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  7. KE5OAB

KE5OAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Would like to see budget videos that cover complete setup. Including antenna. It's not complete without transmission path. :)
    I have a YouLoop antenna for receive.

KE5OAB

8. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i'm 'e'. dumb and learn differently than others.