ad: elecraft

HF Mobile Install (Ram 2500)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jun 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI, and I know it's not the best...but worth mentioning for the non-lazy for ecomm's... my 891 can run full power with a cig lighter adapter from Powerex in my 17 Camry

WJ6F likes this.
  2. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know!

3. WB5WLZ

WB5WLZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In 2003 I installed the FT-857 and ATAS-120 in my Dakota. Grounding does make a big difference. One thing I found on the mount was paint overspray on the bottom. I removed the overspray and was good to go. Thanks for the video. Bob WB5WLZ

WJ6F likes this.
  4. WS5W

WS5W QRZ Lifetime Member #140 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

did you have any inition/computer/fuelpump noise in your ram? I have a 2014 1500 and it is unuseable w/o the noise blanker
    Steve

5. N4GST

N4GST Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I followed the information guidelines found on the K0BG.com website, and i couldn't be any happier with my installation for my 2017 Chevy Silverado. I also did the same type of install on my 2011 Chevy Silverado that I had before the 2017. LOTS of great info for mobile installations. I receive 5-9++ reports from DX contacts all over the world. Of course Im using a different antenna and radio, a HI-Q 5-80 Piranha with a Kenwood TS 480 HX.
    Good video as well.

73 de W7GST

NX1Q and WJ6F like this.
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I will look at that website! Thanks for the info! I have thought about getting a Hi-Q.

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep... Everyone should run a 100 watt radio from a cig lighter plug. It's obviously the correct way to install the radio in any vehicle.

WJ6F and G7NFP like this.
  8. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall many moons ago when a mate drew too many amps through the cig socket.

The wire got so hot that the insulation went on fire.
    The car interior rapidly filled with smoke.
    Was a 2 door mini with 5 of us in it.

Never seen such a panic when 5 guys were fighting to exit that tiny car.
    I was fortunate enough to be in the front. I was leaving the car before it had come to a stop :)

9. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I sometimes run a 4w cb off my cigarette lighter but the noise from the car is terrible. I wouldn't trust the wiring on anything more than 20w.

10. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're funny. I said mostly the opposite...on purpose. Starting flame wars in your spare time? Not going to happen.

11. N9AMC

N9AMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the ATAS 120, and it's working pretty well for me. I have an 891 also. (By the way, it's easy enough to make your own remote kit) I've attached photos of the ATAS on my old Expedition. The advantage to this is that it doesn't interfere with the liftgate in any way. In fact, because of the quick release knob, i could actually stand the antenna up on the open liftgate and get a little more height. The mount is a Comet, and it's full articulated to meet most any need. You'll note the SO239 coupler is way too long. It's 2" and a 1" would be more than enough. It was the only one i had lying around.

Attached Files:

G7NFP likes this.
  12. KF0XU

KF0XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ive installed ft857d with atas 120a in a 2019 ram and a 2020 ram, made a lip mount that radio sits in center console totally away from everything. I use this as i travel, been through alot of states and have to say atas 120a works flawless! best setup a guy could dream of for mobile, and ive had hustlers, and ham sticks. All worked pretty equal, but atas 120a is a breeze!

13. N9ZYL

N9ZYL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! I'm running that same radio/antenna. Grounding is definitely the key to success with that antenna!
    Good luck & good DX!
    73's
    john - n9zyl

14. KF0XU

KF0XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have the 857 and atas 120a have traveled the country and works flawless. ive had huster, hamsticks, and atas120a is a great antenna, to bad ya had bad luck must been bad ground 5 yrs later it still works wonders on all bands!! Been in an 03 Durango 2019 Ram 1500 and now 2020 Ram 1500. Have alot of gravel roads and still works flawless