ad: NI4L-2

HF antenna stealth dipoles for QRP, portable or home QTH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KE4YMX

I agree with N4NSS, building these antenna are super simple and probably with materials you have laying around. I built these dipole with PVC pipe that i cut in half and straighten flat with a blow dryer,, i purchased the so 239 chassis connector on ebay and wire you can get from local hardware store. I chose to use 20 gauge wire for weight and space saving. Don't worry about the appearance, but the performance :). You will learn by building your own antennas which leads to a sense of pride once you put it on the air,, at least that's how I feel.

Attached Files:

NH7RO and K8CBC like this.
  3. KG7OOM

KG7OOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy building antennas but some of you must remember that not everyone likes to build antennas... Will probably buy one just to get a closer look at it.

W9AMM and KE4YMX like this.
  4. W9AMM

W9AMM Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I make some of my antennas and yes they're easy to build. But I'm a gear geek and like buying some stuff as well. I purchased two of these little gems. The seller will give you a discount for subscribing to Eric's YouTube channel. Talk about ham radio brotherhood!

KM4NOW and W7GST like this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    KE4YMX likes this.
  6. VK3JHA

VK3JHA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. During dxpedition to Lord Howe Island VK9HR the biggest surprise antenna was a 80m full size dipole we made on the spot from a spool of insulated wire and a plastic shampoo bottle for the center insulator plus electrical tape.
    No Balun just a current choke by coiling the coax.

We put it up fairly high in the pine trees in a open field and the signals where 59+ into Europe and the USA following the gray line propagation through the entire evening and morning on 75M SSB.

John VK3YP / VK3JHA

KM4NOW likes this.
  7. KE4YMX

Here is a conversation piece,, ugly i know but it works ;)

Attached Files:

US7IGN likes this.
  8. VA2XTC

VA2XTC Ham Member QRZ Page

100W max

9. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Live in a condo so my homebuilt 1/2 wave 20m dipole that I use with 100W is in the attic. Back when conditions were okay got every US county and over 270 DXCC on sideband with it. It cost $3. So you can indeed do a lot with a little. I've heard of creative people slipping good radiators into flagpoles and rain gutters too.

10. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

A plastic ice scraper works well for the centre of a dipole, just drill a couple of holes in them, or hold a nail with pair of pliers and heat it up to make the holes, or an old soldering iron. You can use bolts and wingnuts, or just run the wires through the holes. You can make a choke by winding a few turns of the coax around the handle, and zip tie it in place, or use electric tape. Make several and write on the clear part with a magic marker what band each one is for. Throw those in the back of the car with a hank or two of paracord, and you are all set!

73 and All the Best!

DE W8LV Bill

WP2B, WA8FOZ, KE5WMA and 1 other person like this.