ad: Mountaingoat-1

Hedy Lamarr Day 2021

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2JLD, Nov 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT4ZM

KT4ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll say it. VOIP is not ham radio. But I'm not the one organizing this event. Your efforts in organizing and perpetuating recognition of Ms Lamar's contribution to science, and to radio in particular, are commendable, and greatly appreciated. I believe I read an article stating that she was responsible for conceptualizing a anti-aircraft missile detonation system that exploded "in proximity" to the target. One can imagine how the design must have aided the allied war effort. Best regards, KT4ZM

K3OXL, KA0HCP and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KB6KPK

KB6KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

What a perfect way to celebrate her and the fantastic imagination she had, creating the tools of spread spectrum communications. Those that state that it won't be on the AIR are truly confused about the vision of Ham radio and the poupous of such. We are experimenters using every form of communications. Including WIFI, Bluetooth, Voice over internet Protocol and so on. R.F transmissions in the traditional way direct from radio to radio via antenna as many Old timers are so hooked on use all the current technology in the current rigs in the hobby. They use Bluetooth mics to communicate with the desktop transmitters so they have the freedom to go get a cup of coffee during a QSO without missing a word. They use WIFI to look for DX spotting via the internet. The list of things that Hams use based on her patent it amazingly long. V.O.I.P uses all of the above including R.F. by Hams all over the world. Attaching a transceiver to I.R.L.P or All-star Nodes expands our ability to communicate via R.F and it is used all over the world. N9H call sign not only is necessary because it is being transmitted R.F. all over the world but in the tradition of bringing our world together through communication Hams all over the world in apartments, in high rises in city's, or in there cars commuting from jobs or just traveling can participate and help bring the world together. Having a vision and using it to help people expand and improve there life's experiences is what we in the Ham Radio are licensed to do. Lets continue with the experimentations.
    KB6KPK

N0TZU and (deleted member) like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, [no]!

Is two hams having coffee at the kitchen table a "National Ham Convention"?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    W1YW and N7XCZ like this.
  4. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well said

5. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

There was an HF Hedy Lamarr Special Event in August. The call was K4H and requisitioned to the W4IBM Amateur Radio Club. I just got the QSL last week.

6. W6IWI

W6IWI Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a 2017 movie about her (Bombshell - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6752848/ ). We saw it in a theater. It includes a lot of audio from interviews of her. As I recall, the recordings were discovered accidentally. They really formed the outline for the movie.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hedy Lemarr was an amazing person.

8. WA3JKD

WA3JKD Ham Member QRZ Page

The picture IS Marconi. Mandl's picture is here: https://www.wikitree.com/photo/jpg/Mandl-28

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that listing Ms Lemarr's petty transgressions (shoplifting laxatives!) really tells us nothing about the person or why they are worth celebrating.

QRZed is not a 'life review' when you go to heaven...

Cleary Ms. Lemarr was a brilliant person with limited practical outlets for expressing same. She is not the first nor the last.

Chip W1YW

10. W2JLD

check in on tuesday and pick up a qsl card from our event

11. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AGREED:
    Nothing against this fine lady, but if you get a call sign, it should be put on the air.
    I understand it may be difficult for you to find a CE op but at least ONE phone station could be put on the air for that day.
    QSLs for an internet event is a new thing to me. I thought they were to confirm two radio contacts.
    just sayin', you should be able to find one of your group's members to put a station on the air to honor this lady.
    Nothing against VIOP, I just don't call it radio or a replacement for it. YMMV

K3OXL likes this.
  12. W2JLD

With Voip there are several nodes which include repeaters that have rf signal and there are several -L'S and -R'S , which are repeaters and links.....these link will often have Allstar or another digital mode integrated into those.

Like it or not the internet has provided a means to get out on the air...........this event will have rf signals as well as analog and digital signals...whatever signals they are it IS still amateur radio!!

13. W2JLD

no matter what you do there will always be naysayers who want to frown on everyone's effort in this hobby............I am proud of what we do in recognizing a individual whom made a huge impact on all of us in the 21st century.

If you think you can do better then by all means knock yourself out

W9AFB likes this.
  14. G0SKA

G0SKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fascinating history of Hedy Lamarr. g0ska

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The implication of 16) is that LaMarr is seated next to Louis B. Mayer. In fact. she is sitting next to William Randolph Hearst.

N6SPP likes this.