ad: elecraft

Hamvention finds new home in Greene County | Dayton News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ND8D, Aug 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

2. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well stated. I think just about anything will be an upgrade from flooded toilets and falling roof tile panels that were famous at HARA- this change is probably a decade or more over-due. Be open minded. Change is good. There might be a few bumps but that will invite innovation and adaptation - all positives.

KD8QZT, WA8FOZ and K4MFD like this.
  3. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Their web page says "Rent entire building (seats approx. 750) or rent one-half building (seats approx. 350)." The largest building,
    150’ X 160’ - - has this description: "Pens are in place, Can be used for animal shows or sales, Show arena and bleachers in building, NOT heated or air conditioned, Independent sound system in building, Cement floors." Others have posted photos, above. They plan a public sale of Turkeys, Chickens, Hogs, Rabbits, Sheep, Goats and more at the upcoming Greene County Fair.

It looks like a good place for a County Fair - - but the Hamvention?

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen! Or to quote one William Safire: What a bunch of "nattering nabobs of negativism."

KB0TT likes this.
  5. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

As William Bendix ( The Life Of Riley - fame ) would say. --------

" What a revolting development this THREAD is ! ! "

JB

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. WA3CAS

WA3CAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Replacing an air-conditioned building with tents doesn't sound like a good idea. I've seen several very successful hamfests fall apart after changing locations. I wish the Dayton Hamvention folks the very best.

KD8QZT likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?

Which ones?

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

DARA welcomes volunteers to assist--not just from the Dayton area. I believe one of the benefits is free admission, but I could be wrong.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

HARA--"It looks like a good place for a hockey game--but the HAMVENTION??"

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AHAHAH!

Bonnie,

RE: Outbuildings...

Its more than likely that after a clorox bath and clean up, the only hint of livestock will be these pictures.

Hope to CU in 2017.

Chip W1YW

11. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I found an outbuilding, but some wouldn't like the location:

http://www.irvingconventioncenter.com/

12. WM4RB

WM4RB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How far away is the Greene County Fairgounds from Hara. I stay the the Brookville KOA when I come to Hamvention. Hara is about a 10 minute drive from there. Just wondering how much further the Fairgrounds are.

13. WM4RB

WM4RB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like about a 45 minute drive from the Brookville KOA. I will need to find a closer campground

14. W3DDF

W3DDF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Gaithersburg MD hamfest. It was huge when it was at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds but when it moved to a minor league baseball stadium in Bowie it was a mere shadow of itself.

15. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

My bet is the five standing buildings will be vendor space. They will rent tents on the north side of the facility for forums. The tailgating space.....no idea. Perhaps the race track.

My advice for Dayton 2017 - bring boots. Folks on "ham abouts" will be SOL.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    KB1SF likes this.