ad: M2Ant-1

Hamvention finds new home in Greene County | Dayton News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ND8D, Aug 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ND8D

ND8D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.whio.com/news/news/officials-to-announce-big-event-coming-to-greene-c/nr77W/

XENIA —

Greene County officials announced the annual Hamvention event will relocate there after the Hara Arena closes.

Greene County Agricultural Society Board of Directors made the announcement in partnership with Greene County Board of Commissioners, city of Xenia and Greene County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Since 1952, Hamvention, a multi-day convention of ham radios, has been sponsored by the Dayton Amateur Radio Association.

“We are so excited to be working with the Dayton Hamvention to bring an event of this caliber to the Fairgrounds and Expo Center,” said Alan Anderson president of the Greene County Board of Commissioners, in a release. “Spend time with this group of professionals and volunteers and their passion for running a first-class event immediately becomes abundantly clear.”

The annual economic impact of this event is about $17 million, in hotel stays, restaurants, gas stations and local merchants.

“We appreciate and value all the time and effort of the many partners, in particular the Greene County Agricultural Society, the Greene County Board of Commissioners and the Greene County Convention and Visitors Bureau, has put into helping Hamvention find the right venue to continue our long history here in the Miami Valley,” said Ron Cramer, general chairman of Hamvention, in a release.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfect.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember driving thru Xenia the 1975 summer after the F-5 tornado on 4/3/74 while on vacation. We came from NH and stayed with old neighbors from NH for a few days in the Cleveland burbs and then headed to Memphis for the National Street Rod Nationals in my 38 Buick Roadmaster sidemounted 4 dr sedan with a 455 Buick engine and TH-400 transmission. The side trip to Xenia was a must on our agenda. The devastation was still very visible with many areas looking like they were just hit.
    I cant imagine being in it.....shuddder!

http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/ddn_archive/2011/04/19/xenia-tornado-of-1974/

Carl

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure Xenia and Greene County will be great hosts!

5. K8EF

K8EF Ham Member QRZ Page

can we still say are you going to Dayton this year ?

K4YND likes this.
  6. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ya sure can....weve been going to the "Trotwood" Hamvention for years without saying so :) :)

ND8D and K8EF like this.
  7. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, as Hara is actually in Trotwood. OH.

It will be interesting to see the particulars of the new venue as they become available in the coming weeks.

K8EF likes this.
  8. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K8CCA

K8CCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet they will put big tents up for the "indoor" vendors and the flea market will be a mud bog when it rains.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

looks like it will be another 20 or so miles further from San diego! Better add an extra half hour to travel time. 3 Days and a 1/2 hour!

AF6LJ likes this.
  11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

greeene fairgrouunds.jpg
    next Flex Destination

AF6LJ likes this.
  12. WN6U

WN6U Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you going to go? I thought your body was too pooped to pop. o_O

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should assume they will add tents....think HAMCIRCUS

As opposed to HAM Zoo....
    ;-)

14. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hell of a place to locate a funeral home....

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Carl,

Let's move forward and not scare folks off:) Tornadoes eventually hit everywhere; even my house in Belmont was clipped by one in 1999.

In KY they are regrettably common.

Chip W1YW