ad: elecraft

Hamvention 2021 Cancelled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your antibody immunity from prior infection probably has less than a 3 or 4 month lifetime. You can get COVID again in that case. Your are not 'done with it', unfortunately. You certainly have a longer 'immune pass' with your vaccination. Perhaps a year. Much longer with the Oxford vac.

I have a friend who had COVID in March and was re-infected--and in the hospital-- with 'rems and roids' in November. He was very sick both times.

Just passing this along as a friendly welfare for yours and others, health. Always consult your doctor.

BTW, I am not a slave myself; I stay home (or in my office bubble)because that is my decision, for myself and the welfare of the common good. Again,my decision. Your motivation may differ.

No vac here until probably March for 65+...

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    K4WH, WA7AXT, WA5VGO and 4 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard this morning that DARC is contemplating cancelling Friedrichshafen, which was/is scheduled for late June,.... perhaps they will give us an update in coming days.

Not sure what you meant by your post, referencing DARC...perhaps you were confused.

DARC is the German version of ARRL.

Chip W1YW

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I am done no fears. My wife and daughter are doctors and I have had both my vaccine shots. I never knew I had it until after the fact. If you choose to hide is your choice.

WA1EIB, KA0TIX, KB0VIY and 3 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask your wife and daughter about the immunity longevity of the Moderna and Pfizer vacs.

You will need another shot , probably by the end of the year or early next year, according to my physician. According to my AZ colleague--also a physician-- the Oxford vac may provide T cell immunity benefits for a prolonged period of time, perhaps a minimum of several years.

I am glad you are vaxxed... wishing you the best:)

Chip W1YW

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. K0LQK

K0LQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone has a choice, to wear a mask and social distance or NOT.
    I choose to be very carefull and wear a mask etc.

K4WH, N3MLB, AJ6KZ and 3 others like this.
  6. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, several setbacks in the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic make necessary the difficult decision to cancel Hamvention 2021. Hundreds of volunteers have been working to do everything necessary to bring this Hamvention to the many amateur radio enthusiasts and vendors who support the Dayton Hamvention.

Vaccine distribution both in the United States and around the world is lagging behind what was planned. In addition, the emergence of a more communicable form of the COVID-19 virus increases the potential for further public health problems in the next few months. We make this difficult decision for the safety of our guests and vendors.

Those who had their tickets, inside booths or flea market spaces deferred last year will be deferred again. Those who purchased 2021 tickets, inside booths or flea market spaces will also be deferred. If you desire a refund instead please email tickets@hamvention.org and we will contact you.

Stay tuned for information about a QSO party for the 2021 Hamvention weekend. We are looking forward to the 2022 Hamvention!!!

Executive Committee, Dayton Hamvention 2021

Capture.PNG

N4BCD, W7UUU and W1YW like this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Until your dream becomes a nightmare. Careful what you gloat about. Karma...

WA5VGO, NG9F, WO9LF and 2 others like this.
  8. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had some pithy comments on the whole matter but nah, not on some ham radio site. Not worth the grief and conflict that any discussion will create. EDIT. I will say, at some point people will reach their breaking point. It is like it is a war, except you are asked to spend your life in the bomb shelter, locked away, all the time. Rather than that being sporadic and not a daily event, for a long war.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hate to hear it. I was so hoping to get to Dayton this year but guess will wait till next year now. Hey, we'll get through this.

As an aside, I get my 2nd Pfizer vaccine shot tomorrow morning. I will still be wearing a mask and distancing for the near future until we start seeing a dramatic drop in cases. We *STILL* do not know whether the vaccine prevents ALL infections, possibly allowing one to get infected with minimal to no symptoms yet still pass it along, or whether it confers absolute immunity. Best to be cautious and keep that mask for awhile longer. No biggie to me.

..............Bob

WA8FOZ, WG7X and W1YW like this.
  10. K4YNZ

K4YNZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your mask wont save you.......
    So wife is already on a GMO type drug. MODS bodies response to T cell action. Just like the covide drug. No one knows the long term impact of either genitic drug!
    NO comments please. Unless you are a rank Nuro that treats MS!
    We been managing Doctors for 30 year. Not going to let COVID change that.
    Doctors are very often WRONG!
    John

KA0TIX, N8ZI, W7RY and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.