ad: HamHats-1

HamRadioNow: Eclipsing ARES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ridiculing something or someone is a bizarre way to criticize. Its something bullies do all the time.
    If you don't like the way something is done say so without the ridicule.
    We can all learn something from others ideas and points of view. ridicule turns off discussion
    because it shows disrespect for others. and then we get a "typical" qrz thread :):)

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N2SUB likes this.
  3. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

The only people who are demonstrably panicking over this event are Government employees.

I have seen this exact same hype in the US in 1991. None of the Gubbermint traffic claims were true. I know, I was there and drove and saw the event. Borders were clear, and roads were under normal or even less than normal conditions.

Nebraska gubbermint employees panic:
    http://kdvr.com/2017/08/11/nebraska-to-ban-semitrucks-from-i-80-highways-for-total-solar-eclipse/

To help alleviate the congestion, the Nebraska Department of Transportation is going to ban oversize semitrailer trucks from using the state’s highways for several days, the Omaha World-Herald reports.

Oversized loads that move heavy equipment and use pilot vehicles will not be allowed on state and U.S. highways, and Interstate 80 from sunset on Aug. 18 to sunrise on Aug. 22.

Standard 8-foot-wide semiloads will still be able to travel through the state.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hatred? Go back and read my last posts in this thread, ARES has an image problem and being thin skinned about criticism won't solve the problem.
    What's being done on any level to fix the problem? At least the Nazi reference hasn't been thrown in ....... yet. By the way I only really hate brussels sprouts:)

N6QIC likes this.
  5. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not sure Ive ever heard that. The Earth's magnetic field is produced and influenced by the movement of molten material in the Earth's iron core. The Earth's magnetic field polarities at the N and S poles have flipped about every 450,000 years in Earth's History but I haven't seen anything attributing it to solar phenomenon. Im not saying it isn't a factor, I just haven't heard that.

A CME like the one I imaged in my first post would certainly disrupt communications and power grids and create costly financial havoc on the Earth if it had been pointed our way. Whether it could actually cause the polarity of our poles to flip, Im not sure about that.

Jim
    W6NYA

6. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In a few parts of the Country ARES has an image problem, In others it does not. Its not obvious, but lots is being done to fix those areas that do.

Criticism is fine as long as there respect to all shown. When you "put someone down" is is not criticism.

I agree on the Brussel Sprouts....

7. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have stated ....could flip..., as I was certainly speculating. I would imagine that if the current polarity were "fragile" a solar push seems plausible (to me).

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect it's all about the strength of the magnets involved -- my money is on the sun's magnet. ;)

9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

From another thread, Thank you K3XR. The perfect Eclipse/Disaster video.

K3XR and W9RLG like this.
  11. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

!BRAVO!

WJ0B and N6QIC like this.
  12. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Much ado about nothing when there are far more serious concerns going on around us ;)
    G3SEA/KH6

WJ0B and KM4KGN like this.
  13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The Great American Eclipse is a predictable communication outage event*
    • Outages will happen on and around the morning of Monday 21 August 2017
    • Primarily, it will be a cellular system overload outage, in various locations.
    • Outages will start on the evening before the eclipse (20 August) and continue throughout the afternoon of the eclipse (21 August).
    • Cellular system communication outages will occur in the vicinity of the zone of totality path.
    • Overload outages could certainly delay or block cell calls to emergency services or 911.
    • The most vulnerable locations for overload outages will be in rural areas along the "eclipse highways" (highways that cross the totality path).

The communication outage event will be due to:
    1. mass influx of cellphone users into areas where there is normally sparse cellular coverage (rural)
    2. unusually high traffic in areas where the cellular system is "just barely adequate for normal usage" (suburban)
    3. simply not enough bandwidth in many of the eclipse path areas for such high user demand (urban/suburban)
    4. higher than usual bandwidth per user due to social sharing of photography and video of the event
    Why is a cellular outage of any concern?
    • Cell phones have become the mainstay of public communications.
    • Highway emergency telephone boxes have been removed from many highways recently.
    • Phone booths, once ubiquitous, have been removed from most public locations.
    • Cellular voice calls are the primary method now for 911 and emergency services.
    HF/VHF/UHF ham radio communications are unlikely to experience adverse effects.
    Whether ham radio will be of service to the general public can not be easily predicted.

*A communication outage is an interruption in the normal service of a wireless or wired communication medium, such as radio, telephone, cellular, internet, television, or cable.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    KD5BVX likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie,

Please see post #11.

I asked several colleagues about this. There may be outages, but the portatowers are being set up along many routes, especially the SC and Nashville-Southern KY corridors. If anyone wants more specifics, I have a meeting tomorrow and can ask for further details.

The anticipated problem is with live streaming during totality. Unfortunately most people do not realize that a smart phone or tablet without an 16-18X attachment is incapable of capturing totality, and its an interesting question what happens to the CCD without protection during partial eclipse.

Chip W1YW

15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cell Companies have the capability in their Switch Translations to block all
    but emergency ie 911 calls during the congestion window.
    G3SEA/KH6