ad: Halibut-1

HamRadioNow: Eclipsing ARES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...on their phones.

2. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG. Paranoia strikes deep.

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anti-emcomm trolls? Maybe ARES should take a hard look at why emcomm draws negative attention from the rest of hamdom. It's self inflicted damage and
    evangelizing the virtues really doesn't help. Throw in an ARRL mailing advertising "emergency communicator" (Tech) classes, and a lot of new hams never go
    beyond public service or drop out when they aren't at an emergency on a daily basis. Too bad because amateur radio has so much more to offer.

WJ0B likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Where will you guys be? I am staying with friends on a farm, probably a few miles away....

5. KK5JY

Not only that, but hams in general, ARRL included, need to rethink what "emergency communications" really means. Amateurs are not supposed to be the first line of participants in an emergency situation. In fact they are supposed to be the last line of participants. And I quote:

§97.113 Prohibited transmissions.
    (a) No amateur station shall transmit:
    (5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services.​

Ham radio is not, in any way, a substitute for communication systems of any other authority or radio service, unless that service has ceased to function during an emergency situation.

All this business about weather spotting and EOC activation on ham repeaters is arguably not even allowed under Part 97, if those same activities could be licensed and conducted under a proper public safety or other LMR service license.

Ham radio really is "when all else fails." The part that doesn't get advertised is that from a legal standpoint it is "but not before then."

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

,,,in Russellville.

7. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be sleeping in my secret location, somewhere on the planet they call Earth.

8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Violated on a daily basis and no one cares and it's actually encouraged by some that should policing the practice.

9. KK5JY

No doubt. But it speaks to your point about how the "emcomm" guys should take a look at why nobody takes them seriously.

10. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be several miles NW of Hopkinsville.

11. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a terrible backdrop for terrorist actions. People will be spread out across the country to watch the eclipse, not packed into a subway or arena or stadium or airport. Come on now.

12. N2SUB

I'll be on my back porch in my underwear eating a bowl of fruit loops while smoking a cigar and drinking warm, flat beer left over from the night before. You should stop by. ;)

WE4B and N6QIC like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll bring my wife. Make sure the beer is WARM.

N6QIC and N2SUB like this.
  14. N2SUB

Call me when you're close and I'll stick it in the microwave.

15. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 6th century it was considered a disaster, and need to sacrifice a human to please the gods. I hope we are more enlightened since.