ad: cq2k-1

HamClock How To From a Linux Admin

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WU6R

WU6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video for further improving an already fantastic device. Thank you!

KM9G and M1WML like this.
  2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In one corner of my desk space in my office/shack, I have a Raspberry Pi with a small screen running Hamclock, Pihole, and sometimes scanning the local and state P25 police/fire/EMS transmissions. Nifty toy.

I don't know about hamclock being "better" than Geochron. I have a Geochron 4k as well, and despite showing some similar information, they really serve different purposes.

My hamclock is my primary clock in my shack/office -- I have mine configured to give both UTC and local time, as I generally keep my Windows toolbars hidden and my cellphone is kept sorta behind me when I'm facing my radios and personal machine. If you pull up my 'zed callsign page, you'll see a recent picture of my personal computer and radios; the computer and big monitor I use for my job are out-of-frame to the left of the picture, and my cell phone's charger stand is a little bit further to the left, since the default screen lock display provides a cue as to the next item on my calendar.

To the extent I use my hamclock, it's a handy quick reference to greyline; I have a pane giving local weather conditions (it doesn't quite align with the official NWS info for the airport in my back yard, but it's close enough), and if there's a DXpedition I'm interested in, the VOACAP pane can be set to provide a quick reminder as to which bands might be open to that location, in case I want to take a quick DX break from work.

Also, since hamclock complains if it loses its NTP source, it provides a visual alert for me if I or the cat have bumped the other RPi in the shack. That other Pi has a GPS hat, acts as a local stratum 1 NTP source, and runs NodeRed to help with antenna switching in my station's automation. However, the connector I have that permits me to power that Pi over ethernet is a bit touchy, so if the stand it sits on is bumped....

The Geochron display is prettier, I think, than the Hamclock. But while I do sometimes reference it for time purposes (my company recently did an acquisition gained some business and employees in Europe and Asia; I now have a minion outside Dehli), and it certainly can show greyline, satellite positions, and other info...I think of it more as fancy art. I'll have that display on during the day when I need a break from streaming CNBC or Bloomberg on my Chromecast, or switch to it to provide some visual interest in the background when on a Teams call for work. It's kind of like a nice globe in that respect -- it provides information, but these days would mostly be just a decoration.

KM9G and M1WML like this.
  3. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N6DZK

N6DZK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. Should have been clued in when I read through the ESP8266 section. I have one of those adafruit cards here, but no monitor, so the pi was low hanging fruit (jiji) to get it up and running. If I pick up a pi 7-10" pi display sometime in the future that would make a great option. But for now, it is there in 22" glory up on the wall. I may press the pi 2 back into service and repurpose the 4.

5. DC3AX

DC3AX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I installed that on a different computer board without any issues. Orange Pis use lesspower and stay colder.
    However my intention was that clock on a recycled laptop screen in a nice picture frame on the wall of my shack. Unfortunately the ham-clock just supports some fixed pixel formats. It does not dynamically calculate the graphics but just scales up by doubling pixels in one or two directions. So that xrandr scaling would be interesting to understand. My experiments ended up on either a very blurry picture or one with pixel bricks.

6. M7TIC

M7TIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I'm John M7tic in the uk I'm looking to put ham clock on my android coddle box for my shack and can't find the Wright one. Where's the best Web site to look for it and can't afford to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for it meney thanks john

7. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Been running HamClock ever since I sold my Geochron 4k. Good app, not exactly a one for one swap. Far more stable, the Geochron sometimes had problems just hours or days of runtime. HamClock has been running without a problem for 90 days on a Pi 4.

8. M7TIC

M7TIC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great we're is the best sight to down load the softwere pi. 4 as I'm struggling to find a good one. Can you please send me the links you use please. All I can find is a slow glichy 1 on Android any help to get a good working 1 would be great thanks john

9. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John, Links and instructions are in the description of the video.

10. K5RFO

K5RFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone figure out the GPSD settings? I have entered my server and port based on my Xastir setup:
    localhost:2947

When booting, HamClock displays:
    GPSD: No Lat/Long
    GPSD: No Time

11. VE4DLA

VE4DLA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have it running in Peppermint on a netbook. Very useful

KM9G likes this.