HamClock How To From a Linux Admin

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM9G

KM9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After you get to the part where you can run `hamclock` and do the config, you're done. The rest was to make it standalone. I believe there is a hamclock.desktop file to add to the menus also.

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Please understand that many people like myself do not have an interest or desire to learn another OS that it in itself is a very time consuming undertaking. Many just want to enjoy being on the radio with the time they have to do so.

A year or so ago, I managed to get Hamclock running with what info is on the ClearSky web page, but it took me many, many frustrating hours to get it to run at a resolution close to my normal 15" computer screen. It's a neat piece of software but the added screen took up too much space and my logging software already offers a grey line map and propagation charts. I put Pi's hotspot SD card back in it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  3. KM9G

KM9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha! I downgraded mine to a 1B+ and I'm happy with its eye candy.

N6DZK and M1WML like this.
  4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not trying to slam you OB, but with your VIDEO it didn't do ANYTHING FOR US!!!
    Our visual on one of my TFT MONITORS IS THE "GeoChron" black box, it's not ONLY USER FRIENDLY BUT WE DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THE "B.S"!!!
    Maybe for younger individuals they can DECHIPHER WHAT YOU HAD MENTIONED ON UR TUTORIAL, BUT FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE OVER 40 I DON'T THINK IT WAS INFORMATIVE @ ALL!!! My opinion only of course!!!

N7ZV and M1WML like this.
  5. W0MVV

W0MVV Ham Member QRZ Page

hamclock.jpg Built over the last two days on an old Pi 1-B+. Works beautifully with 24" wide screen monitor (1920x1080 w/xrandr scaling from 1600x960). What a great addition to my shack! Love it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    KM9G and M1WML like this.
  6. WU6R

WU6R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video for further improving an already fantastic device. Thank you!

7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In one corner of my desk space in my office/shack, I have a Raspberry Pi with a small screen running Hamclock, Pihole, and sometimes scanning the local and state P25 police/fire/EMS transmissions. Nifty toy.

I don't know about hamclock being "better" than Geochron. I have a Geochron 4k as well, and despite showing some similar information, they really serve different purposes.

My hamclock is my primary clock in my shack/office -- I have mine configured to give both UTC and local time, as I generally keep my Windows toolbars hidden and my cellphone is kept sorta behind me when I'm facing my radios and personal machine. If you pull up my 'zed callsign page, you'll see a recent picture of my personal computer and radios; the computer and big monitor I use for my job are out-of-frame to the left of the picture, and my cell phone's charger stand is a little bit further to the left, since the default screen lock display provides a cue as to the next item on my calendar.

To the extent I use my hamclock, it's a handy quick reference to greyline; I have a pane giving local weather conditions (it doesn't quite align with the official NWS info for the airport in my back yard, but it's close enough), and if there's a DXpedition I'm interested in, the VOACAP pane can be set to provide a quick reminder as to which bands might be open to that location, in case I want to take a quick DX break from work.

Also, since hamclock complains if it loses its NTP source, it provides a visual alert for me if I or the cat have bumped the other RPi in the shack. That other Pi has a GPS hat, acts as a local stratum 1 NTP source, and runs NodeRed to help with antenna switching in my station's automation. However, the connector I have that permits me to power that Pi over ethernet is a bit touchy, so if the stand it sits on is bumped....

The Geochron display is prettier, I think, than the Hamclock. But while I do sometimes reference it for time purposes (my company recently did an acquisition gained some business and employees in Europe and Asia; I now have a minion outside Dehli), and it certainly can show greyline, satellite positions, and other info...I think of it more as fancy art. I'll have that display on during the day when I need a break from streaming CNBC or Bloomberg on my Chromecast, or switch to it to provide some visual interest in the background when on a Teams call for work. It's kind of like a nice globe in that respect -- it provides information, but these days would mostly be just a decoration.

8. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

9. N6DZK

N6DZK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. Should have been clued in when I read through the ESP8266 section. I have one of those adafruit cards here, but no monitor, so the pi was low hanging fruit (jiji) to get it up and running. If I pick up a pi 7-10" pi display sometime in the future that would make a great option. But for now, it is there in 22" glory up on the wall. I may press the pi 2 back into service and repurpose the 4.

10. DC3AX

DC3AX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I installed that on a different computer board without any issues. Orange Pis use lesspower and stay colder.
    However my intention was that clock on a recycled laptop screen in a nice picture frame on the wall of my shack. Unfortunately the ham-clock just supports some fixed pixel formats. It does not dynamically calculate the graphics but just scales up by doubling pixels in one or two directions. So that xrandr scaling would be interesting to understand. My experiments ended up on either a very blurry picture or one with pixel bricks.