ad: portazero-1

Ham Radio Aviator Attempts New York To Paris Speed Record

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, May 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian Lloyd WB6RQN Flight Commemorates 90 Years Since Lindbergh
    New York, USA, May 22, 2017 - As pilot Brian Lloyd propels his single-engine plane named "Spirit" eastward into the sky this week from Republic Airport on Long Island, he embarks on a dual mission. He is commemorating Charles Lindbergh's famous solo transatlantic flight that made history in May of 1927, while simultaneously attempting to break a speed record for the New York to Paris air route. To make things even more interesting, he intends to communicate live via radio with Ham operators while in flight.

[​IMG]

Brian Lloyd WB6RQN in his airplane Spirit with HF radio

"I am driven by the spirit of historic flights," Brian Lloyd said, "it is important to remember the pioneers like Charles Lindbergh, and their contributions to aviation. Their bold actions made today's air travel possible for all of us."

While he is soaring over North America or international airspace using the call sign WB6RQN, Brian encourages Ham radio operators to contact him on the following frequencies: 14210 kHz USB or 7130 kHz LSB. His HF radio is a Mobat Micom-3, running a maximum power of 125 Watts, with an antenna under the fuselage. He also utilizes ALE, Automatic Link Establishment, on the Amateur Radio HFLINK frequencies http://hflink.com

The radio schedule is posted in the Project Amelia Earhart website http://projectameliaearhart.org/ham-radio

“I’ve been a ham radio operator since 1976 and enjoy radio communications very much. The plane is set up with HF radio through the normal pilot headset controls, so it is easy to use. The HF is normally utilized for aeronautical purposes on trans-oceanic routes,” Brian said.

[​IMG]
    Brian Lloyd flight live tracking map: New York to Paris in the airplane Spirit

Mr. Lloyd expresses the special significance of this transatlantic route, "My father taught me to fly when I was 14 years old. We flew to the 1985 Paris Air Show together in a single engine aircraft like this. Aviation is in my family; both of my sons are pilots."

Commercial airliners fly long distances every day, but non-stop ocean flights are quite difficult for small propeller planes, which have limited range. To make it possible, Brian Lloyd modified his 1979 Mooney airplane to carry 150 gallons more fuel, then equipped it with modern navigation equipment, long range radio, and satellite communications. Still, the flight is not without risk, and special safety gear must be taken along. The public is able to track his flight on the web, social media, as well as Ham radio.

The flight commences after the first sign of good weather for the route, beginning on Monday, May 22. When Mr. Lloyd returns to USA from Paris, he won't have much time before taking off on the next phase of Project Amelia Earhart, a round-the-world commemoration of Amelia Earhart's historic flight, which departed 80 years ago in June of 1937 from Miami.

[​IMG]

Pilot Brian Lloyd breathes oxygen while flying at high altitude in his airplane Spirit

About: Brian Lloyd, 62, is a pilot, flight instructor, engineer, educator, and radio operator. He lives near San Antonio, Texas, USA. The commemorative flights are co-sponsored by The Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum, a non-profit in Texas, and many other individuals who contribute to supporting the flights through donations.
    Project Amelia Earhart website: http://projectameliaearhart.org
    Press Kit: http://projectameliaearhart.org/press

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

KM6GUA, N3DAW, AF7EC and 5 others like this.
  2. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Godspeed

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I wish him a lot of luck, he may need a little.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

AK5B and WG7X like this.
  4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish "Brian" all the "LUCK IN THE WORLD" in his up & coming flight, in essence telling ALL OF US never give up on your OWN PERSONAL DREAMS & and the continuing QUEST of "MAN" to PROVE IT CAN BE DONE!!! BLESS'M ALL!!!

REGARDS,
    Jim Davis-NN6EE
    Concord, CA
    Ham since 1962

N6SPP likes this.
  5. G4DYO

G4DYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck Brian. Have a safe flight.
    Brendan McCartney G4DYO (Retired Heathrow Air Traffic Controller).

6. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We'll be listening for you on 40/20M from South Texas, Brian and bonne chance!

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to FlightAware.com he is en-route at this moment from Texas to N.Y. @ 2120z - 05/21)
    Tail number N916BL is listed as a Mooney M-20 Turbo. You can track him here:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N916BL

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. PY1KZ

PY1KZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck and God Bless You in this Jorney my dear friend!!!
    73's
    Miguel Dau - PY1KZ (Retired Fighter Pilot and ATP)

AF7EC likes this.
  9. KQ6XA

10. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be interesting to read what he had to remove from the plane to accommodate all the survival gear, comm gear and extra 900 lbs of fuel, and still get to maximum gross take off weight, or close.

The Mooney Encore I flew for awhile had a useful load of 1100 lbs, and he's carrying 1200 lbs of fuel alone.

AK5B likes this.
  11. KQ6XA

Some photos of Brian Lloyd with his airplane Spirit, taken this morning prior to takeoff at the airport in Texas. Photo credit: Josh Flowers.
    [​IMG]
    Brian Lloyd prior to flight of airplane Spirit 21 MAY 2017 in Spring Branch Texas USA

[​IMG]
    Brian Lloyd pauses prior to flight of airplane Spirit 21 MAY 2017 in Spring Branch Texas USA

[​IMG]
    Brian Lloyd prepares for flight of airplane Spirit 21 MAY 2017 in Spring Branch Texas USA.
    You can see the Micom 3 HF transceiver control head in this photo, it is the furthest upper right unit on the panel.

VK3GOR, AF7EC and W5BIB like this.
  12. KQ6XA

[​IMG]
    Photo take a couple weeks ago, during upgrades to the airplane Spirit. Shows improved avionics. early May 2017. See HF radio Micom 3 control head at upper right of panel.

[​IMG]
    Brian Lloyd holds the extra 100 gallon fuel tank during installation in the Spirit airplane. The tank is located approximately where the passenger seats used to be. Photo taken in early May 2017 during upgrades to the plane.

"Does this tank make my airplane look fat?" asked Brian.

[​IMG]
    Brian Lloyd in airplane Spirit, mid-day on 21 May 2017 at 20,000ft over USA. Photo by Brian Lloyd live upload via satellite.

VK3GOR, N2EY, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  13. KQ6XA

[​IMG]
    Drawing of HF radio system on Brian Lloyd's airplane Spirit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    VK3GOR, N2EY, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  14. KQ6XA

[​IMG]
    Photo of HF antenna during installation.

VK3GOR, N2EY, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  15. W8LMG

W8LMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, those of us who do not hold an Advanced or Extra class license do have an opportunity to work him on 17 m. Guess one out of 3 bands will work.

VK3GOR likes this.