ad: chuckmartin

H.R. 555 Reply from Senator Mazie K. Hirono in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Feb 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

A response to the letter we forwarded for HR 555 from the Hawaii Senator

February 2, 2017

Dear Mr. Holbrook,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 555, the Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017. I appreciate hearing from you on this topic.

The growth of telecommunications and the Internet has been one of the most significant drivers of innovation in history. Ensuring that people in Hawaii have access to fast, affordable, and secure telecommunications is an essential building block for a strong 21st century economy.

On January 24, 2017, Representative Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) introduced H.R. 555, the Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017. This bill would direct the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to amend regulations concerning private land use restrictions on amateur radio communications. Specifically, the bill directs the FCC to require private land use regulations, like those put in place by condominium homeowner associations, to provide accommodation for amateur radio communications. This change would mean that condo associations and other private entities would be required to allow amateur radio equipment to be installed and could only put in place the "minimum practicable restriction" to "accomplish the legitimate purpose of the private entity seeking to enforces such a restriction."

H.R. 555 passed the United States House of Representatives on January 23, 2017, and has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should the Senate consider H.R. 555, or similar legislation, during the 115th Congress.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you would like to stay in touch with me on this or other issues of importance to you, please visit my website at: http://www.hirono.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if I may be of assistance to you in any way.

Aloha,

[​IMG]

Mazie K. Hirono
    United States Senator

Attached Files:

KB3ZYN likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So, he hasn't said anything.

Why is this news?

KB3ZYN, WA7WJR and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

A typical political brush-off. IOW, he has no idea what ham radio is - or can even conceive that the internet might, just one day, go down. Like when a major hurricane hits his home state.

4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should the Senate consider H.R. 555, or similar legislation, during the 115th Congress.

In other words, he has no position on it and will wait and see what --if anything-- he hears from his constituents if and when a companion measure comes before the Senate.

KB3ZYN, KU0O and (deleted member) like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

What I find interesting about this letter is that it is almost identical to the one I got from a senator in my state. There must be a "say nothing" template that all legislators' staffs get when they take office. Insert bill text here. Insert nonsense feel-good but-not-offensive-to-opponents description of the bill here. Sponsor goes here, bill number goes here. Press "send."

KB3ZYN, K9MOG, KF4ZKU and 3 others like this.
  6. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Functionally identical to letters from Senators and Congressmen in my state.

This is a meaningless, boilerplate, "insert topic here" response that's typical of Congress today.

"In the Senate, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) and Brian Schatz (D-HI) were critical in voicing their concerns to protect community associations. CAI members are very grateful to these two fine Senators for their support. CAI will continue to work with these Senators and others to ensure community associations are protected."

http://www.cqstatetrack.com/texis/statetrack/insession/viewrpt/main.html?event=503d035031

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    KB3ZYN likes this.
  7. KK5JY

That quote is probably the most informative I have read yet in describing the state and future of the bill, regardless of whether it passes or not.

N1EN and (deleted member) like this.
  8. K1NKR

K1NKR Ham Member QRZ Page

We flood them with form letters because "it's the way to get our voices (note plural) heard." Then we bitch because we get form letters back?

Come now.

VE3PMK, KU4X, WX7P and 1 other person like this.
  9. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know Guys? Even here in my "Hometown" of Concord, CA our "City Mamas and Papas" are EXTREMELY ANAL towards we HAMS!!! In our case in a "Older established neighborhood" we CANNOT HAVE A TOWER HIGHER THAN 30' without a permit!!! AND IF you want to go up any higher than that you've got to apply through our "Planning Commission" and then get permission from neighbors within 400 yards of your residence and ALWAYS THERE'S ONE NEIGHBOR WHO SAYS "I DON'T WANT ANY STINK'N ANTENNAS IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD!!!". I might add that even if you get all your neighbors permission and spend $9000 OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET, the city will only allow you 15ft. more (total 45ft!!!). So even though you've tried to do everything "BY THE BOOK" you still get the proverbial "SHAFT"!!!

KB3ZYN, NL7W and (deleted member) like this.
  10. KK5JY

And that's under PRB-1... this is what HOA hams have to look forward to under ARPA.

And imagine what it will be like if you live in an HOA in a town like this? Then you get to deal with both the HOA and the city.

KF4ZKU and (deleted member) like this.
  11. K3BR

K3BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Typical meaningless, wasted communication. And, responding to one of her (I guess it's a her, can't tell by the name) constituents in that manner is rather haughty and rude. Never got past her office staff. We put up with that crap all of my life in MD until we moved South.
    They listen to us here, like it or not. (Except for Lindsay Graham!)

NE1LL, KF4ZKU and (deleted member) like this.
  12. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it's probably generated by a robot and 'signed' by an aide with a rubber stamp. Hey, I just realized this is yet another ARPA thread! I wonder if they could all be gathered up and moved to a political action thread? Then they wouldn't show up under news and ham discussions and we wouldn't be baited into clicking on them anymore. No more circular arguments about "need" and people who demand "relief" because they never read their CC&Rs.

13. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Googling the name produced this bio (link) and photo:
    [​IMG]

K9FV and W4KJG like this.
  14. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

First, I abhor HOAs.
    If you think thas passage of this by some miracle this bill passes, you will ever get anything more than a dipole, screwdriver or verticle that cannot be seen from the front of the house approved by the HOA, you are delusional. This whole drill is a waste of time and energy for anyone wanting anything more than a compromise antenna.

W9AT, KK5JY, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  15. KA7CCP

KA7CCP Ham Member QRZ Page

this is no new news , band plans and allocations are more important right now