Great Technical References from N1UL, Dr. Ulrich Rohde

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. I8QJU

I8QJU Ham Member QRZ Page

In my work I have had the opportunity to use Rohde & Swartz equipment, I confirm the great quality and precision of these instruments.
    Thanks dr. Rhode.

N9FM and KO4LZ like this.
  2. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

one word...
    Awesome

3. VA3EP

VA3EP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the papers, have added to my reading list.

I was fortunate to work N1UL on 20M FT8 on 2019-12-25 19:09.

Truly a giant in our midst.

Eric VA3EP

4. K5JKR

K5JKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for these articles.

5. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This didn't sound quite right. A little bit of Googling and reading of Wikipedia indicates that R&S was founded in 1933 and N1UL was born in 1940. But he does have a connection. R&S was founded by Lothar Rohde (and Hermann Schwartz). Lothar Rohde is Ulrich's father.

Short bio
    Only skimmed them so far, but they do look interesting. I have two of Ulrich Rohde's books on my book shelf and he has contributed several articles to amateur radio publications. He has contributed a lot to amateur radio.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ulrich's dad was the 'Rohde' in R &S. I believe Ulrich remains an owner in R&S.

But Ulrich is a successful business man and inventor in his own right. Didn't come up on anyone's coattails.

Ulrich was a recent co-author of a very interesting two-part series on metamaterial switching, in the latest Microwave Journal issues.

Chip W1YW

WA9ZZZ likes this.
  7. W2KYM

W2KYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked you many times on FT8!! 73 Dr. Rodhe!!
    Jim

8. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ausgezeichnet, Herr Doktor! Vielen dank.

9. N1UL

N1UL QRZ Lifetime Member #303 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good morning to all, yes R&S was found 1933 by my father and his friend and colleague from the university and their first product was loss tangent measurement device for ceramic at RF frequencies.
    R&S has no outside share holder, only direct children become owners of R&S, which has about 13 ooo employees and $ 2.2 billions in sales.

i control conflict free 25 % of the company, and unfortunately I am the only RF engineer amongst the owners, the rest have different education and interests.

On the positive side having no external shareholders outside the two families we are really a well balanced team.

Thanks for the interest and best 73 de Ulrich
    N1UL

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    KC0KEK, G1MHU, W4ABC and 6 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ulrich,

I think the thing that most interests the folks here is that you've not only maintained the legacy of your father, but personally extended that important spirit of innovation and progress into new realms , undreamed of just a few years ago.

Ulrich is the man!:)

Stay well!

Chip W1YW

PD0WAG and WB4NQF like this.