ad: M2Ant-1

Great Technical References from N1UL, Dr. Ulrich Rohde

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Arthur Collins et Hulrich Rhode, 2 étoiles dans le domaine de l'inginering...

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The story of Art Collins is unfortunately not easy to dig out and thus we take pieces of it to mythologize the man.

Art was quite the innovator/inventor and knew how to press against the patent monopolies. That is what put him in business in the Great Depression. Needless to say, a variety of key radio technologies came out of Collins Radio (later Rockwell Collins). Totally worth celebrating.

What is less well known is what essentially put Art Collins out of business: a version of what we would now call 'the internet'--a distributed, wireless connected(at least in part) computer network--some 50+ years ago.

Talk about being ahead of your time, this is the poster child. Art lost his job on that one.

RS is still going strong because it has a variety of technologies and is not heavily compromised by the failure of any one. And as W9BRD pointed out, they aren't a company that MAKES ink!

3. W4BJT

W4BJT Guest

Dr. Rohde, I have fond memories of working with you on proposed changes at WOM back in the early '70s. I learned a lot in your classes in Gainesville too. 73, Frankie, W4BJT.

4. N3WGM

N3WGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never talked to this gentleman but we make contact on FT8 often.

5. G1MHU

G1MHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe make R&S HX002H2 an affordable product?

6. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure what price you consider to be "affordable", but I assume that you mean "cheaper". If it was cheapened, it wouldn't be an R&S HX002H2, it would be something else resembling a less capable, lower quality product. You never get more than you pay for. Quality and performance cost money.

I want to have a $100,000 ham station, but I only want to pay $1 for it. :p