ad: MLSons-1

Gigaparts Explorer Backpack Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Feb 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

200w.gif

KL7KN likes this.
  2. W2PDN

W2PDN Ham Member QRZ Page

KE0GXN likes this.
  3. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, this IS the CB world. There's not much difference. Just because someone passes a test,, it doesn't make them a good person. If, however, you look at comments on the YouTube site itself, the comments will never be so harsh. That's just the QRZ community at work.. I personally would never post a review here. This community takes their hobby wayyy to seriously..

KA0USE and KQ1V like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you don't suppose that YouTube might "moderate" the replies to videos, do you? I'm going to make a wild ass guess that in order to post comments to YouTube videos, one has to somehow sign up - an in doing so agree to some form of Terms of Service or Users Agreement. And I'll bet that YouTube's ToS or UA is considerably more voluminous than that of the Zed.
    Don't paint with such a wide brush. Just as there are those in "this community" - assuming you mean the Zed - who take the hobby "wayyy to (sic) seriously", there are others who take the hobby far too trivially. How so, you muse? Well...for example, ignorance of, or complete disregard for not only license class based sub-band allocations, but band edges, too. And there are more. Plenty of 'em.

Sometimes an email or private message is the more prudent way to reply or comment. However, many YouTubers seeking celebrity status literally beg for support and comments. What's that old saying? Be careful what you wish for?

KE0GXN likes this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Muse" that is one just word you don't hear every day! I think that too many people, in this forum, take this HOBBY way too seriously. Some people posting present themselves as self-proclaimed know-it-alls, or technical experts, or resident sages, etc. That is OK, hammy radio is a snapshot of humanity - it takes all types.

I think it's nice someone takes the time to review a radio, or bag, or whatever. If they get it for free, good for them!

There's something in the hobby for everyone!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  6. KE0GXN

You do realize a YT channel owner can moderate or delete any comments posted on their channels?

And as far as some taking the hobby way too seriously, you obviously do not hang out here much….The only ones taking the hobby way too seriously are the ones making ham videos for profit.

We as you say in “the QRZ community” are not the ones hanging out in garages, he-sheds or spare bedrooms seeking attention and filming our ourselves pontificating about a hobby to make a buck off of people to pay bills or facilitate the acquisition of gear.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    KL7KN, K9TDW, KA9JLM and 2 others like this.
  7. WT4BT

WT4BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rodney/KA0USE, unfortunately GigaParts does not give any REAL details about the pack other than 600D polyester and other rather vague bits. No mention of what kind of zippers (extremely important IMHO), amount and placement of padding (ever carry an ALICE for long distances?) and other construction details which could make or break a pack in real use. How long will that polyester last in the sun and rain. If it gets scuffed and worn at pressure points?
    Yes, car to picnic table does not call for robustness, but if you happen to be on the trail when a zipper lets go or the bottom falls out..., even having a zipper fail when you are on-site (even at that 50-foot-away picnic table) can make an enjoyable day into real hassle.
    Mac/wt4bt

WN1MB likes this.
  8. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

say it ain't so!

up to now, i had no idea.
    if one can pick and choose the comments, then what real purpose do comments serve? besides self-gratification.
    rhetorical question.

KE0GXN likes this.
  9. KQ1V

No good comes from ANY Social Media, and I include YouTube in that category as well.

N2LC and KT4QD like this.
  10. KE0GXN

I 100% agree with the social media part.

But….there are some very knowledgeable radio/electronics people making YouTube videos out there that play absolutely zero of the games that are evidenced by the ones posted here.

With said, like anything in life though one should always verify, do their own due diligence, study and research before taking some rando’s advice on the internet. But as you know, that line of thought is long gone this day and age.

Nowadays folks just want to learn by watching videos and then going out and buying themselves a $25 dollar BoJanky and playing hammy.

Hey man, it’s like you Navy boys used to say back in the day….

“It’s not just a job, it’s an adventure!” :p:D;)

W5CJA and KQ1V like this.
  11. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

check!

12. KQ1V

"Be all you can be..." oh wait, that's the Army! :eek:

Yeah, I agree with you, and I can always do without the "schtick" - that just grates on me. FYI, I heard, and have not confirmed that Hickok45 gets free ammo while the firearms he reviews are loaners. So free this, loaner that, I could care less about. If they do the corny and annoying "schtick"... yeppers, you've lost me.

KE0GXN likes this.
  13. KE0GXN

LOL. I was the “Aim High!” generation.

KQ1V likes this.
  14. KQ1V

I remember that! The good old days of recruiting advertising!

“Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines… it’s a great way of life…”

KE0GXN likes this.
  15. KT4QD

KT4QD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you, any product review on YouTube needs to be taken with a dose of salt. If not for the knowledge/skill of the reviewer, then for potential conflicts of interest.

There used to be an app that front-ended YouTube, and basically skipped the first 25% of any video you used it on. Not sure if it is still around.

KQ1V and KE0GXN like this.