FreeDV Digital HF Voice QSO Party Apr 27/28th

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK5GR, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the signal source being voice information (compared to text or telemetry) is irrelevant, and the actual definition of HF DV in regards to FCC regs as a data vs voice mode IMO is ambiguous. I have been casually searching for a reference to clarify with no joy yet.

The reference link Operating Tips you linked in post #39 indicated DV activity on 20m, 14.236 USB. That would suggest it is being considered a voice mode.

If DV is to be classified as a data mode, not voice, that presents an equally bad situation for the proposed DV QSO Party. According to FCC Amateur band charts, data modes are prohibited on the event sponsor suggested operating frequencies for 80, 40, and 10 meters, as well as on 14.236 USB as suggested.

It can't be both ways, voice AND data o_O and if so, that's another regulatory train-wreck. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    K4AGO likes this.
  2. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Point(s)

3. KG5GCC

KG5GCC Ham Member QRZ Page

SSTV is a Data mode and yet it is in the phone section of 20M at 14.230

KF4ZKU likes this.
  4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

KF4ZKU and KG5GCC like this.
  5. K2SDS

wow who knew!! Interesting.

6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is so little information on FreeDV - I installed it on my linux machine this weekend, but only 1.2 is available for my build, so only 700c (well, besides 1600 and 800 somthing or other) is available. Are the two modes (700d and 700c) compatible? If no, will anybody be using anything other than 700d for this contest (or random everyday qsos)?

7. K2SDS

Good questions. As it stands the number of active FreeDV users is so small the best way to schedule a QSO and set the mode is to use the FreeDv chat site: http://qso.freedv.org/
    Not sure how that will work during the contest.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    K3RLD likes this.
  8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm. I may have to either update my operating system to a newer version (which was not a good experience when I upgraded from ubuntu 16.xx to 18.04), or try to compile the source myself (which I have never done).

In any case, I was using the FreeDV chat this weekend as "Rx only testing 700c 14.236" and didn't get any hits. My headset is due to be delivered today so maybe I can attempt a CQ tonight.

9. K2SDS

700d was used exclusively this past weekend based on my observations.

K3RLD likes this.
  10. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

@K3RLD
    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!

K3RLD likes this.