ad: CQMM-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 113

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Aug 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio_300.jpg
    Australian Digital Mode Qualifications

The qualifications for using Digital Modes in Australia can be summed up with a single sentence:

"Morse, RTTY, FSK and PSK are digital modes and you must also remember that the bandwidth of a data transmission is dependent on speed and mode."

That's it.

In this episode we explore what is needed to use Digital Modes in Australia, what requirements exist in the syllabus and what you need to know to become a Digital Mode Diva.

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast about the 1000 hobbies that make our community. You can listen on-air, on-line or on-demand. Get your own personal copy from the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/, or search for my callsign VK6FLAB on iTunes, Google, or your personal podcast directory for your weekly fix.

Onno VK6FLAB

2. VK4SDD

VK4SDD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For fox sake Onno, the path to using digital for foundation license holders is clear UPGRADE TO STANDARD.

OH2FFY, W6IR, VK6ATS and 5 others like this.
  3. VK2OZ

VK2OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Onno you always seem to want the easy way to get more priviledges simple earn them upgrade and get them stop asking for handouts.

OH2FFY, VK6NO, VK6ATS and 3 others like this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice troll. Pity it has nothing to do with the requirements in Std or Adv syllabus for digital modes, which was what the post cast was explaining. Perhaps you are the Digital Diva Onno was refering to and this got your panties in a knot?

Here is the full text, i am sure you can quote me the parts were Onno is saying F-Call should have something?

5. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

By "Morse" I assume you mean CW. I'm surprised to hear that it is a digital mode down there.

VK6NO, VK4TI, VK6ATS and 1 other person like this.
  6. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

DIGITAL.gif

VK6NSB and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  7. VK4HAT

8. VK6NO

I'm just asking for what has been asked for over many many years.

I actually gave up a lot of my privileges when the callsign allocations were altered to get more members into the hobby for certain groups.

I thought it was only fair to ask for something now. Cheers

VK6APZ/SK2022, VK4TI and VK6NSB like this.
  9. VK4HAT

You sat an exam that gave you 400w, if you want 1000w perhaps you should upgrade countries. People just expect everything to be given to them now days. Back when I was a kid, we had to walk to school through 3ft of snow backwards uphill with no shoes on and twice on Tuesdays. And our ham radio set was made by SPC, two tin cans and a piece of string, we did not need anything more than this. Oh we also ate dirt for dinner.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  10. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Ham Member QRZ Page

And F calls aren't expecting everything given to them EH?

11. VK4HAT

This one isnt.

12. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

Sigh
    another stawman huh , fine let there be a 4th class however the current adv ticket covers higher power by general opinion

certainly the line to beat the dead horse is over >there

13. VK4HAT

While my post was mostly tongue in cheek, there was certainly a lot of truth in there. Remember the trial of 1000w? How did that go for you? It failed because of 2 main reasons, firstly because advanced calls were to lazy to apply for the trial and go through the regulatory framework to use 1000w, IE Upgrade their knowledge to use 1000w.

So the rest either did not care about 1000w or they just want something for nothing like f calls are constantly being accused of. The 2nd and most damning reason was because 20% of those audited could not demonstrate compliance with the LCD and EMC regulations.

You like to think that the Adv call makes you special and the suppository of all radio wisdom, the reality is many Adv calls do not even understand the laws that govern their use of spectrum. So yeah lets give a bunch of idiots 1000w just because they are old. You had a chance to upgrade and get 1000w and did not, and yet its the F calls that are killing the hobby. Pot Kettle Black.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  14. VK6NO

My asking for 1000 watts was also tongue in cheek as you are aware of. I was one of many in Australia that could not apply to be part of the trial as we were in restricted zones as laid out by ACMA.

I personally would not have applied at any rate as my antennas are very close to the street and little children do like to climb my fence to retrieve their ball or helicopter etc.

Before anyone asks YES they are under constant video surveillance from shack operating desk. Would have been nice to frighten the spiders in the loading coils or traps though. Computer program down loaded does show this station would have been legal in its present setup.

My comments or replies I make on here are only made to try and achieve a stable and sustainable amateur radio population. I love my hobby to bits and I strongly believe all conflicts that do raise their heads should be solved firstly by open discussions.

If this fails we should see two different lines open to us.

For example do you like and want this? Answers are only YES or NO. Now these two lines must only put up by the man/woman asking the question and not by me or anyone else.

Count them up at end of required period and see who wins. If answer is A YES then we all should get together and proceed to the next step. We could call it a Referendum on AR.

Another tongue in cheek "I am not OLD but people out there do pay taxes for me to enjoy my senior years" I thank you all so much.

Have a good day from Lindsay VK6NO

VK6APZ/SK2022, VK4HAT and VK6NSB like this.
  15. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

Kinda surprised at your reply , you seem to know all about what I think contrary to what Dear Diary tells me
    Not having the KW is far more complicated than you realise , however the time is like your upgrade coming
    time to put another try together it seems .

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.