ad: elecraft

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 110

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jul 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK2OZ

VK2OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please explain why you are swearing and foul mouthing some body because they expressed an opinion contrary to yours that is what i meant when i said in a later post about being abused on air for stating an opinion.As for learning morse i did it with daily practice and the determination to learn it sitting in front of the radio as i remember correctly an old AWA Radiola 7 shortwave band receiver which i used to listen to CW on 40 meters it had no BFO so i built one out of a book my uncle gave me as a present when i was just 14yrs old it was called Amateur Radio an RSGB book with lots of simplified theory and projects the old saying practice makes perfect holds true.
    As for the sending bit i did it using my uncles reel to reel tape recorder i built a cw practice oscillator using an OC70 transistor and recorded what i sent and played it back crude perhaps for todays standard but that is all i had i got my full call through diligence and effort i built my own station and have been a avid home brewer even till now and repair my own gear see i can read the colour code and have a knowledge of how things work and why.

2. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

And there we have it.....
    When people are unable to speak in a reasonable manner the insults come out.

I think you have made it clear to everyone here why you have problems with other Hams.....

Oh well , another one added to my block list - bye bye.

gregW:) OH2FFY

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. WI4WD

WI4WD Ham Member QRZ Page

On a lighter note! I noticed they have revised the saying for memorizing the resistor color code.

4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

No Greg, it is not an insult it is a statement of fact. When the premise of your argument is built upon strawmen, ad hominem and the misrepresentation of what I have said, there is really no other conclusion that can be drawn. If you want respect Greg, take the time to actually listen/read what I am saying with a view to understanding, rather than running off on tangents because your existing bias is that all low class licenses are idiots.

You see, the comment that you have built your strawman upon was not a generalisation about all adv calls. It was about a specific group of people doing a specific thing, which was intentionally setting me up for failure so they had something to laugh at. Now, you might think that this kind of behaviour is acceptable, i personally think people like that are assholes. And yes, the comment you made about that disaster of a antenna switch was troll. It offered nothing constructive and only served as a conduit to cause argument, that is the very definition of trolling, commenting with the intent to cause insult and argument, also a skill you have demonstrated often within this thread.

What is this, kindergarten? How will I be able to sleep at night.

5. VK2YES

VK2YES Ham Member QRZ Page

Would love to run a sparkgap transmitter. Nothing Easter then that, no frontend, no vfo, no crystals and mocking around with q factors and case noise. Just simply high voltage on a piece of wire

6. VK2YES

VK2YES Ham Member QRZ Page

Fase noise instead of case noise

7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not all Hams are appliance operators. Personally, I do not like 'disposable electronics' and prefer to work on my own stuff when possible. This is why I stick to Boat Anchors and radios with parts that have leads. In doing such I NEED to know Resistor Color Codes and Valve theory. You should also consider that part of the function (at least in the U.S.) of having Hams around is to have a subsection of the population familiar with, and trained in (even if self educated), Electronics Theory. The idea is to have a pool of people that can be drawn on in case of emergency or catastrophe. THOSE people just might need to know resistor color codes since not all communication equipment is SMT yet.

As for Elmers.... I live in Florida, where there are many Hams, and I have trouble finding people knowledgeable in Electronics Theory and radio repair. Many of the Old Timers, who are knowledgeable in such subjects, are dying off. So I have turned to the Internet and Email. There is still knowledgeable people there and if you need visuals many of those people will be glad to send you a photo or are willing to Skype with you. I have pulled several old Boat Anchors back from the jaws of the recycler with the help of Email and those here on QRZ.com. I call them E.E.s - Email Elmers (not Electronics Engineers).

Perhaps the solution to the problem is to create a new licensing structure where there are a couple of license classes for appliance operators who do not want to learn all the technical stuff. Along with these Appliance Operator's Classes would come restrictions on band, power, and modes. Those who want full privileges, or to experiment, can go further and earn higher class license with less restrictions.

Just my opinion... and you know what they say about those.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  8. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, there should be licence classes for Real Amateurs and for Appliance Operators.
    The classes for Real Amateurs should have Morse testing and an operating and technical level on par with the German "Klasse A" or "Klasse E" examinations.

The Appliance licence class, on the other hand, should have no requirements, be limited to 5 W, AM or SSB telephony, type accepted equipment and a small frequency slice "just south" of 28 MHz.

Oh, wait...
    We already have had such a thing.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KF9EM, WQ4G and OH2FFY like this.
  9. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

EXACTLY +++++++

gregW:) OH2FFY

WQ4G likes this.
  10. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Ham Member QRZ Page

At least those companies are RADIO BASED. ITMAZE is a private business that does computer work away from radio.
    ITmaze is an owner operated business committed to providing the best IT solution for each and every client.
    GOOGLE it

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    VK6NO likes this.
  11. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio... I'm still trying to figure out if I actually enjoy it. I'm thinking of selling it all and just buying a new tractor instead. But something always calls me back to it.

12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, I was thinking of selling my Tractor so I can buy a new (old) Ham rig.....

13. VK6POP

VK6POP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is understood as a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

VK4HAT likes this.
  14. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Straw Man: An informal fallacy to give the impression of refuting an argument while refuting an argument that was not advanced by the opponent. With the amount of straw men and ad hominem presented by some radio amateurs, I seriously wonder how they mustered enough logic to pass their exams.

15. VK6POP

VK6POP Ham Member QRZ Page

I seriously wonder why some people go to all the trouble to put down those who are pondering about what is, and what could be. Onno's article asks if there's a better way to do Amateur Radio licensing, yet in the responses in here there is very little thought given to how it could be improved, rather people want to hark back to the good old days, whatever or whenever they were.
    There's a loud cry of "I had to work hard for it, why should someone else get it easier?" and remarks of that ilk. It's disappointing that there's not much discussion about what's best for our hobby and its future, rather than focusing on the other guy getting more marmalade on his toast than I did.

VK4HAT likes this.