ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Followers

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by N0XVZ, Nov 25, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0XVZ

N0XVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently, I had a random ham start "following" me. I lurk here more than I post, so I'm not a prominent community member. I know it's common on forums to have followers, but I find it a little creepy. Is there a way to remove or block unwanted followers?

N9WFT likes this.
  2. K8VHL

K8VHL Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He's a new ham from a country where "following" can be interpreted as a sign of respect. He's currently following 728 hams, including me. I guess you and I are not special. :(:(

N9WFT and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

There's no way to block them. At least not in the current version of the XenForo forums software. Maybe in a future update (coming this winter).

But it's totally harmless really. It just makes it so they can click on "My News Feed" and see posts from users they follow.

Outside of that, it means absolutely nothing

Dave
    W7UUU

N9WFT likes this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Googlebot is Following me :cool:

N3RYB likes this.
  5. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I was followed by a Ham from Turkey. And I get it. It felt a little creepy to me also.

I sent him a PM, and he did not respond to it. I know he has been on the Zed, so he almost had to get it.....Prior to sending him a PM here, I sent him a greeting of sorts by signing in on his Web guest list deal. The individual I am speaking of lists his vocation as Personal Security...

I found it weird that he is/ was following me, and did reply to any of the correspondence I sent him here. It kinda felt like he was stalking me.

I will tell you that I have been followed by two regulars on the Zed, one of which is a Moderator....He knows who he is and I am not selling him out. In these cases I did not find the following me weird

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I know the ham you're referring to. He probably has hundreds on his "follow" list. He's totally harmless. To him, it's an act of respect I truly believe.

And yes, moderators VERY OFTEN follow users - in fact, the mod team will "follow" users who have had "reports" filed on them. The moderator team uses their "news feed" (where those being followed show up when they post) just to make sure that user is not causing further issues.

I have hundreds of users on my "follow" list - as the head of the team, it's part of my job. Same story for the others on the team.

But just like the fellow in Turkey, I'm totally harmless as well :)

For NORMAL users, the "follow list" is pretty much a nothing. In fact, I'd wager MOST users don't even have a clue where you go to see activity of that user in the progress of your "following them".... it's not obvious, and doesn't trigger alerts.

Dave
    W7UUU

N9WFT likes this.
  7. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, I learn a lot from the staff here. Thanks for keeping us informed and keeping the peace here. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A person can follow you without the need to tell you. Just go to upper right on this page, click on "search" and then "posted by member" and type in a call and posts from that call will come up.

9. W7UUU

True - but when you "follow" a user, every one of their posts appear in your "news feed" - so you can daily check what your followed users are up to.

Just click on your call sign, then "Your News Feed" to see what your followed users are posting

Dave
    W7UUU

10. N0XVZ

N0XVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm just stuck in a rut in how I use the forum. I usually click "Forums" then "New Posts". I don't even see a "news feed", but I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Dang rut...:D

11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the upper right of this page and to the left of INBOX AND ALERTS should be your call. Click on your call sign with your mouse, and you will see "Your News Feed" at the top of the second column when the choices come up.

12. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.