ad: Mountaingoat-1

Finally bought a decent amp.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jun 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, after much saving and out smarting the wife I picked up the Ameritron AL-811H (800 watt) amp. It is much easier to use a tube amp than I had originally thought. I thought I would put this video together to try help others who are new to amplifiers.

AL-811H.png

KG0HG, KN4DUX, KD8DWO and 5 others like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI CRAIG,

GREETINGS FROM SALEM, NH.

GREAT JOB ON YOUR AL-811H SETUP AND TUNING PRESENTATION ...BRAVO....

ALSO, I REALLY LOVED THAT MFJ POWER METER WITH THE SENIOR CITIZEN READOUT....hihihi....

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OUTSTANDING SERVICE IN THE ARMY.

HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND

73 - K1LKP

K4BBN and WJ6F like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Confabulations on your amp! I have a couple of Heathkit Warriors that have 4 811s. Fine tube. And becoming more readily available. (Even the Chinese ones are getting better....contrary to some rumors.) May the Watts be with you!

NA4RA and WJ6F like this.
  4. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks much for the comment! I do like that meter. With that one I don't need my glasses, and I can read it from across the room....

K1LKP likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice amp, and I hope to work you soon

WJ6F likes this.
  6. K2BLU

K2BLU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pronounced AMERI- TRON --NOT AMITRON!!!

KR3DX likes this.
  7. VA3FLN

VA3FLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video. I picked up an Ameritron 811 a while ago but haven't set it up yet. I need to put aside a morning or afternoon to install all of my grounding wires and rod first, but your video really helps when there is no Elmer that can come by due to Covid-19.

WJ6F likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

They couldnt get much worse and with the original Shuguang factory shut down and the new one ramping up dont expect much beyond returns sent back out again as they have done in the past, especially 572B's
    They will never be a 811A no matter what is painted on the glass. In reality they are a FU-811 which is a Chinese copy of the G-811 which is a Russian copy of the RCA 811 of WW2 from crash landed B-29's and their ART-13 TX.,,,NO A added.
    This is from a 1973 Shuguang tube manual:
    https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/095/f/FU811.pdf

Dont run a AL-811H past 600W maximum on SSB without processing and 500W with if you want reasonable life from perfect tubes.

Here is the latest Chinese 811 with correct markings as a FU-811 and a 1250V rating, what it does in an Ameritron amp is anyones guess. It appears to be from a new source as the Shuguang logo is missing. Who will be the first to buy some?

I'll continue researching sources.

Bottom Line: Any 811 version from the 1939 RCA to what is sold today has a 40W CCS and 50W ICAS rating in audio service which can be compared to SSB.

The 811A, only built in the USA, no matter what is painted on the glass, is 45 and 65W respectively.

That video is interesting in that he only shows it at 50W drive and 500W out maximum. But it does show the maximum tuning time to be used. 500W is great for long life but most actual owners just read the manual and go straight for 800W and destruction.

Also tuning for a plate current dip in a linear amp has been obsolete since the 60's. The GRID current meter is the most sensitive and best indicator for GG triodes and SCREEN current for tetrodes/pentodes.

Carl

KR3DX and WB9AZA like this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K9SXM

K9SXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for making the video Brother, I am very interested in the 811-H and hope to secure one by end of year.
    Keep up the good work. Best 73's Roger K9SXM

WJ6F likes this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be nice to be perfect.

N7HRR, KC1DRW, WK0DX and 2 others like this.
  12. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think if you can outsmart your wife, setting up a tube amp has no secrets for you :D

WJ6F likes this.
  13. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The way prices are increasing, the amp will be worth what you paid for it in three years.

14. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once she finds out he's bragging about outsmarting her, he may have to choose between the half that has the transformer or the half that has the tubes :p

W5AAG, WK0DX, PA0MHS and 2 others like this.
  15. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020