ad: Alphaant-1

Finally bought a decent amp.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jun 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And he is also responsible for the disasters he created. Note he has been very scarce on forums for years now.....critics were a bit rough and with due cause.
    Also take whatever he puts on a web page with a grain of salt. Some is still wrong and any corrections only happen after enough pressure is created and credit is never given to anyone but "Himself".

Carl

2. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you cite any specifics about your allegations? What "disasters" did he create, when and why was he "wrong", and what was his critics "due cause"?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted that hoping you have the ability to do your own homework; I have better things to do with my limited free time.

4. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I did my homework and I found NOTHING wrong with the info on Tom's website. You used some of your "limited free time" to be critical of him, but you have "better things to do" when it comes to saying why you believe that he is wrong.

If anyone else can show me where Tom is wrong, PLEASE let me know, I am eager, willing, and able to learn.

N1WLD likes this.
  5. N1WLD

N1WLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would STRONGLY recommend that any Icom user spend the $70ish for a relay between radio and amp. I burned up the switching circuit in a 718 I used at my camp. Icom made a warranty repair, but told me they would not do it a second time. They cited the cause as using a direct connection between radio and amp and mentioned that ALL of their radios should be used with a relay if running an Ameritron (and several other) amp. I now have ARB-704 relays between all my Icoms and my amps.
    I would also comment on tuning the amp. Although the steps shown in the video may be ideal, I tune mine in half that time. Start by doing a proper tune on each band and note the settings on a cheat sheet ( If you're using more than one antenna, do it for each one). When you switch between bands, especially during a contest, you can quickly set the plate and load based on the cheat sheet. Then, with a 10 watt exciter, you can refine your plate voltage, increase exciter power to desired output, and then refine the load......done! Maybe takes 5 seconds!

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  6. N1WLD

Wow! So with your "limited free time", you wasted it by telling us all how bad Tom is, but offer NOTHING to back up your statements. That sounds more like a man with a personal grudge.
    But then again, you are a REAL Extra!!

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And you offer nothing period.

Somewhat true since Ive followed his antics since the 90's. Its more of a disgusted disappointment.

Very true and I also have the real world engineering backround and experience to back it up. What do you offer except a no code General? Maybe you should learn to not be so snotty if you expect others to offer help and at least learn how to do basic research before flapping mouth off.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

N2EY likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't that what marriage is all about?

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask either of my ex wives, because...they know EVERYTHING.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  11. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im glad Im a happy optimist, Ive seen way to much misery and anger in others.

W5AAG likes this.
  12. N1WLD

I never implied that I had any knowledge to offer! I also never asked for any help. I merely pointed out that you took the time to tell us all how bad Tom is, but offered no information as to why.
    As far as basic research goes, I'm quite capable, thank you, but really didn't care.
    As to being snotty, and "....flapping mouth off." Take a good look in the mirror! It's your bonehead statements implying you're so much better than the rest of us with comments like "What do you offer except a no code General?" and "I'm a REAL Extra"., oh, and this "I have better things to do with my limited free time." So, big mouth, what did YOU have to offer?? Your engineering background, and your REAL extra class license do not impress me one bit. You're "holier-than-thou" attitude makes me sick...and I'm sure some others here would agree. This is all I will post here!!