ad: Flexradio-1

FCC ULS System Outage

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Up in smoke! I'm repulsed!
    High-altitude ElectroMagnetic Pulse (HEMP) wouldn't help the Commission's computer systems either! :eek:;):cool:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    W1YW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, another country with a profoundly night and day difference in population sizes to present as well thought out evidence. Glad you like the various divisions of the DVM managing your personal affairs; 73 and big old bear hug for you too.

Glad you are back up QRZ and thanks for this outstanding service that you provide. I use it every day; it's the only logging program I use.

3. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AHHH GOOD another chance to post my second favorite commercial:

NL7W, K0DD, AJ4LN and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

updates to QRZ FCC data is slow

W8JBM likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That is NOT what ham radio is all about. Shame on you for even joking about something that will get someone arrested.
    John
    K4AGO

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand it's not that modern...
    [​IMG]
    :p

1 person likes this.
  7. WB3HUS

WB3HUS Ham Member QRZ Page

I know what the FCC needs to protect there computer system , they need a WALL built around them.

8. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I walked into a site or two almost like that years back. Shudder!

K0DD likes this.
  9. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You Guys are funny... The Federal Communications Commission is totally a political entity. It's function is Policy Generation... It's unwanted task is Regulation and Enforcement of said Policy... Their only happy moment is cashing the BIG Checks from said policy and enforcement. Wonder what drugs these happy campers are on? fcc-commissioners-01302019-print.jpg

This IS THE FCC DATA CENTER October 2015. Real Photo They have moved everything to a commercial entity for their data ops and support... Blame some IT nerds for the failure.

FCC_DATA_CENTER.JPG

Erika DD

N0NB likes this.
  10. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember this expensive walk down incompetence lane?

"Last year, The Enterprisers Project spoke with Dr. David Bray, CIO of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission [now accused of lying to the press, and congress] about his ambitious plans to overhaul the agency's then 207 legacy systems and move all physical servers off site to a commercial managed services vendor.

The FCC IT organization recently completed “Operation Server Lift” (as the initiative was dubbed) and is now enjoying a number of benefits. In all, the move to the cloud and a commercial service provider reduced rack count from 90 to 72, lowering both footprint and operating costs. The move also eliminated or consolidated infrastructure where possible, like retiring two servers that were 11 years old and weighed one ton each. It reduced on-going maintenance costs from more than 85 percent of their IT budget to now less than 50 percent of their budget.

The overhaul – dates back to January 2014 and culminates in ticking down the hours of Sept. 4, 2015.

==

At the time, FCC CIO Dr. David Bray blamed the bombardment on all those nasty hackers:

"These were deliberate attempts by external actors to bombard the FCC’s comment system… While [it] remained up and running the entire time, these DDoS events tied up the servers and prevented them from responding to people attempting to submit comments."

Yes. Well. So. Anyway. About those DDoS attacks.

On Monday FCC Chairman Ajit Pai issued a statement ahead of an FCC Office of Inspector General (OIG) report that found that no evidence of DDoS attacks had been found.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...eutrality-was-legitimate-traffic-report-says/
    https://enterprisersproject.com/article/2016/1/behind-scenes-how-fcc-migrated-cloud
    https://govcloudinsider.com/articles/2016/08/26/bray-fcc-cloud-spinosa.aspx
    https://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing/2017/06/fcc-cio-leave-first-its-kind-role-government/138387/

11. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry but that post did not contain partisanship. Yours did. 73

12. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you have me confused with someone else. Is it partisan to equally deride R's, D's, and I's?

13. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like I originally stated, there are other forums here on QRZ to discuss politics. Have a good day.

14. K0AJS

K0AJS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am one of the new hams affected and it's weird because the people with grant dates of 2/5/19 seem to be the ones with issues. I downloaded the ham license database from the FCC website and my name and call sign are present, but if I search anyone with a grant date of 2/5 they are not in qrz's database. 2/6 and 2/7 seem to all be there. I am not that worried about it I just like database mysteries LOL.

15. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah. It appears that instead of 'partisan,' you really meant 'political.'
    I guess the first post I quoted was not precisely political, but falls more in the realm of 'partisan ideological.'
    My first post fell in the realm of observable, verifiable fact.
    My second post was something of a playful smear on all politics.
    From what I have written, is it even possible to decisively determine my political perspective?

With all that said...

The FCC is part of the executive branch of government.
    The head of the FCC is a politician, appointed to a political office by another politician, the President.
    While the FCC is charged with enforcing law, it also generates regulation.
    Regulation at the FCC (as well as nearly every other department of executive branch) has been political for decades, changing when the presidency changed.

The very mention of the FCC makes a forum inherently political, as the FCC itself it inherently political.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.