ad: elecraft

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a VPN, custom built pi ad blocker and use only trusted search engines for starters.

No, I'm not looking at illicit things, unless the zed is on the, well, can't say 'black-list' anymore, so, use your own terminology.

I am a computer scientist, and learned long ago if you think you know whats going on, you don't.

There are no regulations to force consumer protections. Its amazing where and how data travels and what is done with it. What if your ISP decides to block your third party VOIP? Hasn't happened? Think again. Use whatever search engine you want and read about Vonage. Blamed for a DMCA violation for something no one in your family downloaded? No? Its out there, IP spoofing is easy.

This is just me. I do this stuff on my network as an exercise to better understand internet protocols and programming. It travels well with my business as well. I enjoy tinkering with stuff I guess.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    W9YW likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Luxury.

The code tests were never 100% copy. And the written tests were, and are, extremely basic.

Which is how it should be.

3. N2EY

4. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am surprised it has taken the FCC this long to start charging a fee. Not much is free especially something as enjoyable as ham radio can be. It always seemed unusual to me. I do wish somehow the funding could be used for enforcement.

It does show the FCC is not concerned about the historically low use of HF or the impact a $50 fee could have on activity levels.

5. N2EY

You pay one fee if you go straight to Extra or General.

No. The proposal says address changes are free. They are "updates", not "modifications".

6. N2EY

The way it is now, a license class upgrade doesn't change the expiration date.

If they charge a fee to upgrade, you should get a full new license term in the bargain.

K4NWD likes this.
  7. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear ya. But look at it this way. For $50.00, you get a 10 year license. Ten years of ARRL membership will cost you $500.00.

NK8I, KA1YBS and WA4KCN like this.
  8. KB9ML

KB9ML Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There IS an exception for amateur radio.... ‘‘(1) PARTIES TO WHICH FEES ARE NOT APPLICABLE.—The regulatory fees established under this section shall not be applicable to— ‘‘(A) a governmental entity or nonprofit entity; ‘‘(B) an amateur radio operator licensee under part 97 of the Commission’s rules (47 CFR part 97); or ‘‘(C) a noncommercial radio station or noncommercial television station. page 738.

KE4ITL and KA1YBS like this.
  9. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think we will be swimming in money.

10. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

And a choice of one of 3 magazines instead of 2.

KE0AOS likes this.
  11. K1SHE

K1SHE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

id be ok with that as well

12. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Source please.

This is from the NPRM, page 9:

"We note that, while the statute previously limited the Commission’s authority to charge fees only for specific services listed in the Act, the RAY BAUM’S Act now requires the Commission to collect fees from several previously uncharged services. As such, several services in the personal licenses category will be subject to new fees. One such example is Amateur Radio Service licenses, which were not listed on the fee schedule in section 8 of the Act, but are now subject to fees under the broader mandate of the RAY BAUM’s Act." (My emphasis.)

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-116A1.pdf

Regards,
    -Bruce

K2WPM likes this.
  13. KJ6TSX

KJ6TSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on guys $50 for 10 years sounds like a deal, Heck a 5 cent candy bar now costs almost $2 bucks and is gone in 5 minutes

73's
    George KJ6TSX

WA5VGO likes this.
  14. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I think that can be changed: A simple stroke of the rule making administrative pen could easily eliminate that Part 97 "Operator License and Station License" gobbledygook.
    After all, it all works out Hunky Dory and Okie Dokie in the Great White North, so it could work here, too.

It's curious to me that my Commercial GROL, GMDSS, and Radiotelegraph are good for life (as you explained above) but not my AMATEUR license!

Every other Commercial/Professional endeavour in my life has always resulted in crushing annual or biannual "Renewals" with VERY Painful extractions and till-tapping from my hard earned family income. Usually? "The Government Taketh, AND the Government Taketh More...

But at my age? Well "Good for Life" doesn't mean a whole lot anyway: After the Taxes come Death, and maybe ESTATE Taxes! But I won't be worrying about a thing...

73 DE W8LV
    (Disclosure: Also sometimes W8LV/VE3)

15. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys need to stop whining. $50 every ten years? Here in the Netherlands we pay appr. $50 each year.

WA5VGO, WN1MB and LA6VQ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.