ad: CQMM-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's like saying that my Amazon spending habit is funded by my credit card company. Technically, it is, but they send me this silly bill every month, and have a stupid rule that if I don't pay it each month, they'll eventually cut me off, and sue to collect the money.

So even though the credit card fronts the money to the merchant, I'm still the one who ends up paying. The bank won't allow the money they pay the merchants on my account to exceed the amount I pay them, over the long run.

Similarly, Congress fronts the money for the FCC's operation, but they insist that the money be paid back in user fees. They won't allow those appropriations to exceed the user fees in the long run.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

-I believe the FCC should return to a separate License (Lifetime) and Station License (10 Year Renewable).

-$50/10 years is cheap. Do it. It gives us more authority to demand action/service from the FCC!

N0TZU likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps. But nonetheless, Congress must Appropriate funds each year for the FCC to operate, regardless of whether a single dollar is offset from fees and collections.

The FCC is funded by Congressional Appropriations, offset by fees and other collections (if they occur).

4. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes... But in 1970 you got a nice looking license to hang on your wall not a PDF file. I've had my vanity call for 20 yrs and I feel like I'm being robbed of $50 and get nothing to show for it. You want my $50, bring back the printed licenses like we used to have. Also, from where I sit the FCC has done damn little in the way of enforcement on HF, so why do they think they deserve $50?

Just my $0.02

KD2SHN, K0OLD, KG7HVR and 7 others like this.
  5. KJ4EJ

KJ4EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't mind a $50.00 fee for a lifetime license. But if there are fees to be raised they should be raised on the commercial side. Amateur Radio is a public service.
    As such it should be exempt because of that service from any fees.
    Buyers of spectrum should pay to subsidize the Amateur Service. I don't see them as being around providing a
    public service during emergencies. As for vanity call signs let there be a holding period, and a set number of lifetime changes of calls.
    As for those who bid on spectrum raise their fees since they raise fees to
    the general public. Just my 2 cents.

KD2SHN likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I'm not an attorney, but the plain meaning of the words says that they MUST offset with fees to $0.

The below is from https://www.fcc.gov/licensing-databases/fees/regulatory-fees , which states it in a different way but which amounts to the same thing.

Q: Why does my company have to pay these fees?
    sort by A: Each year, as part of the passage of the federal budget, Congress establishes an amount that the FCC must collect in regulatory fees. This year that amount is $339 million. Based upon 47 U.S.C. ยง159, the FCC is obligated to collect this amount from every organization that benefits in any way from the FCC's enforcement, policy and rulemaking, user information, and international activities.

The regulatory fee section of the law does not specifically exempt any group from paying this fee; although, it does allow the Commission to waive, reduce, or defer payment of a fee "for good cause shown, where such action would promote the public interest." The FCC has interpreted this to mean that regulatory fees will not be applied to state and local governments, amateur radio operator licensees (other than amateur vanity call signs), and non-profit organizations. The FCC also allows companies in precarious financial situations or bankruptcy to petition for a case-by-case decision on a waiver or reduction of the regulatory fee.

K2WPM and K0UO like this.
  7. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder where the useless league will stand on this issue? Will they (the ARRL) be just as toothless as they were with HOA's and the parity act?

KD2SHN, K0OLD, KG7HVR and 2 others like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It never stopped any of "us" Baby Boomers when "We" were young, because "we" had a thirst for knowledge.

Giving stuff away doesn't always work

K8PG, N0TZU, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd pay more than $50 if they'd start giving us something for the money. $50 just to change the expiration date in the database is ridiculous.

K0OLD, WB6DJI, KG7HVR and 1 other person like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They're paying Billions for spectrum$$$$$$ the amateur service pays nothing.
    It's not a money thing to the FCC, it's an administrative exercise.

11. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Oh the ARRL will raise their membership fees in order to help stop this proposal by the FCC. *wink*

KE0AOS, N4MIT and K0UO like this.
  12. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Convenient that this new fee structure comes up the same day ARRL hires a new CEO. I look forward to how he takes it. If this fee structure is passed, I forsee (or at least hope to forsee) a lot of $50 grants going out to new licensees (especially youth), which will be a new burden on their finances; but as N6AA said, they have so much money lying around that they don't know what to do with it all.

K0OLD, W0PV and K0UO like this.
  13. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

CB, FRS and MURS all use radio spectrum and should be charged fees for use of the ether...

KE4ITL and WQ4G like this.
  14. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You figure that these fees just couldn't be left overs from the last tax and spend administration. Try watching less lib news.

KA1YBS and N3FAA like this.
  15. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The younger folks should drink one less coffee a year, and it would be paid for. It's literally $5/year.

But at the same time, I'm never a fan of increased taxes or fees, especially since most things are automated these days with the FCC and require absolutely no manual intervention.

K0UO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.