FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are right but it may be time to change that that My Belize V31KW is for the operator just like my 1st Phone was was for the operator
    in the Old day we all had to pay a fee anyway

K8PG likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

$5 a year is a budget buster? Really?

K2WPM and K0UO like this.
  3. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think $5/yr is unreasonable. However the cost to process that $5/yr, every year would be more expensive to the FCC.
    I think that's why $50/10 yrs was proposed. Process once, and forget about it for 10 years.
    I take it this is in addition to the fees charged by the VEC's who administer the test?
    Yes, there are hams who spend upwards of thousands of dollars for their stations.
    On the flip side, there is the budget ham (like me) who saves a little each month to buy a
    radio on E-Bay. The TS-430 I own was given to me by my late uncle in law who was not a ham,
    but enjoyed listening to hams and shortwave stations around the world.
    He used an old car battery that he would charge and then hook that to the radio.
    I was fortunate in the fact that the radio was given to me.
    That 430 sat for 4 months until I could afford a power supply able to feed the radio what it needed.
    Then I was the one listening until I could afford an antenna tuner. For me, $50 to renew would be a
    bit of a hit in the billfold, but I guess it's one more thing I should save for and plan for,
    This is why a lot of hams buy secondhand equipment. While it is nice to have the latest stuff,
    there's something to be said for secondhand equipment. If it works and is in good condition, why not?
    While the $50 fee may seem high, it CAN be saved for. Am I for it? No. Most things are online these
    days, and the online license renewal only requires someone at the FCC to confirm it right?
    I hope it doesn't go through. With the COVID 19 pandemic going on, $50 is a bit of a stretch right now.

--KD7YVV

KE4ITL, W5ESE, KG7HVR and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC1NY

KC1NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course $50/decade is not a budget buster or even of much consequence for most people. However, just what is it for? Most licenses that I have to renew (driver, fishing, hunting, CCW) have fees that are in essence a tax which is paid to the state. Why are we being taxed by the government?

KG7HVR, N6ATF and N2EY like this.
  5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt they will get enough money from this new fee schedule fiasco to pay for another mile of a mythical wall or a lawyer for Steve Bannon.

It's way past the time for the individual states to Succeed from this cluster mess thing that we call a union.

6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I have justification for letting my license expire next year.

Why pay for something that gets little use.

7. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because we have money and they don't.

KG7HVR, AA4MB, K5PHW and 1 other person like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The rest of us never got a break when we got ours in JR High in the 1950, 60 and 70s!! We all had to pay a FEE back then even if you failed (It was an honor) we Worked for it (Studied) and we had to Pay to Play! now you just memorize questions anyway

K0PV, K8PG and WN1MB like this.
  9. KT9OUT

KT9OUT Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If I recall correctly, FCC disliked the fee because they weren't making enough money to offset the cost of collecting the fees.

I suspect that was more a function of their vanity rules being too loose with respect to people who spend their nights and days churning the system, and they certainly could modify the rules to prevent that in the future.

One easy rule change that would solve that issue would be to drop the vanity system. :D