ad: vanity

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ2L

WJ2L Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a modification to this NPRM is necessary where youth less than 18 or still in college could be fee free? Indeed, this field of communications and electronics does enhance society producing many highly skilled and educated which benefit our country. We need not discourage the profitable skills that are brought to the county by making fees a problem for them.

KD2SHN, KG7HVR, K3MRK and 1 other person like this.
  2. N4URW

N4URW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep times are changing. No more free licenses and yes this will reduce the number of people that want to get into Amateur radio. Not a good move. This is a hobby and equipment is expensive enough without having to dish out $50.00 for a license and every time you renew it. Total BS. Maybe a one time fee and I do not agree with every renewal you have to pay $50.00.

W8CFC, KX4BW, AE5SB and 2 others like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We can't - here's why:

A US amateur license is actually a combination operator and station license. The Communications Act limits station licenses to no more than 10 years.

That's why a GROL can be for life, but radio and TV stations have to renew.

For many years, FCC and predecessors made a big deal about the difference between an amateur radio operator license and an amateur radio station license - to the point that some hams had multiple station licenses, and others had no station license at all. During WW2, Amateur Radio in the USA was suspended by simply suspending all Amateur Radio station licenses. All through the war, FCC held amateur operator license exam sessions, but there were no amateur radio stations to operate.

Note that callsigns belong to the station, not the operator, even though hams tend to think of them as one and the same.

WJ2L, K5MPH, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

License terms are 10 years, so it works out to $5 a year. Problem is, the $50 is up-front.

KE4ITL, KF6FRR and NX6ED like this.
  5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Man...the ARRL is going be hurting....$50 for the license and no money left for ARRL membership.

KD2SHN, N8ZI, KB2YJK and 10 others like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

How many "less than 18 or still in college" are using a top of the line cell phone that requires a monthly cell fee?

Let's stop creating "victims". There is nothing unreasonable about the fee structure proposed. As N2EY indicated there is nothing new here. A proposal is not a change in the regulation.

N4UP, W5ESE, KC1DR and 10 others like this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

People who buy multi-kilobuck radios to "ragchew" with other people on multi-kilobuck radios complain about a $50 fee paid once per decade? That's $5/year. Maybe cut back on 1 Starbucks latte a year and put that fiver in the "license fee jar".

Chris

KG7A, KR3DX, K2WPM and 11 others like this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. So $50 every ten years. That's not going to break me. I'll just give up my ARRL membership to make up the difference.

Impact on "young people" ? Hard to say. What's a "young people"? If my grandkids had any interest in getting licensed, I'd just give them the $50. Then by the time they'd have to renew, they'd no longer be "young people" and will decide for themselves whether it's worth $50. I think most parents, grandparents would foot the $50 bill if it's something their "young people" really wanted. It's peanuts compared to having to buy them a new iPhone every year. So I don't think a $50 fee is going to kill amateur radio for young people.

Who it will impact is people lower on the economic spectrum, young or old, for whom $50 is difference between buying food, diapers, paying electric bill.

KG7A, KD2SHN, K0PV and 6 others like this.
  9. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

50$ for a renewel? Or some beginner needs to pay 50 to get the privilege to talk on a 40$ Chinese handheld as a tech? No sale. Let them have your license back. If you want to yack, you can get on 11 meters and wait for sporadic E or sunspots to come back up. Mod you ham gear and put it to work. You can run as much power as you can buy, make up your own custom "callsign" as you please, and go to it. FCC forgot 11M and left it as a jungle of free communications! And no chance of any other service taking over there, they would be run off in 15 minutes, no matter what they paid for the spectrum. Yea, you can pay or you can go "outlaw" where there is no law. Never done that freebander stuff but they sure set fat and happy and do as they please!

K5MPH, KG7HVR, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

The cell phone monthly fee is worth it. Charging $50 for an amateur license, for a hobby that hasn't got the attraction that smartphones do, is going to decrease our numbers...which is what THEY want.

KD2SHN, WA4JHE, KF6FRR and 1 other person like this.