ad: ProAudio-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NX1V

NX1V Ham Member QRZ Page

I aint got 50 bucks.

N6ATF likes this.
  2. NX1V

NX1V Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have it. Some of us are stuck in a chair. In my lifetime, I've been fee'd out of every thing I ever enjoyed.

KE4ITL, WQ4G and N6ATF like this.
  3. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

$50 for 10 years isn't a bad deal. Would you have a different opinion if it was $25 for a 5-year license? I pay something like $70 for a 10-yr DL now.

As stated elsewhere, this really does provide some clear-cut evidence on wantedness (usage) by operators. With the ongoing additional requests for commercial frequencies this could help determine in a much more factual manner whether this hobby is alive or not and provide guidance on reallocation.

g

4. KD0USA

KD0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL is like most Unions and they collect dues and sell out the members . They
    supported no code now support no code on HF did nothing to assist hams who
    are told no antenna s from HOAs but are very good at all the rest you DECIDE

WB6DJI likes this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, for many of us older folks bitching and moaning about $50 every ten years being a hardship while on a "fixed income", think about it this way: You may be old enough that you'll probably only ever have to renew one time in your life.

So, the $50 is really a "lifetime" license fee ! Does that sound better than $50 every ten years ?

WN1MB likes this.
  6. K9EI

K9EI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just think of this as a Ham Radio Tax. The FCC must have some sort of cut going on and this is a part of how they balance the budget.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so much a tax as a fee-for-service. Or a toll, such as when you cross a bridge, go through a tunnel, etc.

N9LCD and N0TZU like this.
  8. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

During the 1960’s early 70’s wasn’t there a $4 - $8 filing fee?

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly! My license is up for renewal in 2024. One renewal later and I'm into serious geezer territory! Probably still good for one more after that? $50 is not an unreasonable amount to pay for a ten year license. I pay more than that for: QRZ, ARRL & Radio Club of Tacoma memberships, and those are shorter terms than my ham license.

Do I like the idea of fees for ham radio licensing? No, but it is probably something that was inevitable.

WB9YTG likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From March 1964 until March 1977 there were fees for US amateur licenses. The fee varied with time and the service provided (renewal, modification, special call, etc.) Novice was free, however.

WB9YTG likes this.
  11. KB4LOA

KB4LOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ajit Pai is a name to remember as the WORST FCC Chairman. And there would be more to be written in the history books. What a legacy.

KC1DR likes this.
  12. WB6DJI

WB6DJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I should Cancel my $50 ARRL membership dues since the
    ARRL seems so unresponsive these days, take PRB1 with HOA’s
    was a joke
    Mike

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

At least this topic gives the inexperienced Zed poster a reason to jump into the fray. As to the content of the post...you are the judge.

N2EY and KU4X like this.
  14. WB5TTY

WB5TTY Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio is the backbone of emergency communications in times of disaster conditions. When cell phones go down due to power loss and generators running out of fuel, Amateur Radio comes to the rescue. Also $50 will be a major barrier for youth to enter the hobby. The pool of Amateur Radio Operators will decline sharply. This another group of politicians trying to regulate something they knows nothing about or it is a move to kill Amateur Radio so the frequencies will be available for commercial use. It is not enough Amateur Radio Operators invest hundreds to thousands of dollars in their stations, now some politicians think we should pay a license fee for the privilege of offering our stations for free when the government run communications fail. In my 45 years as an Amateur Radio Operator I have provided life saving communications on several occasions. Everything from a sail boat under attack by pirates to passing emergency traffic that saved lives. Many of the phone patches and relays were for U.S. Embassy locations in South and Central America. Now when I am 69 years old and on a fixed income they want me to start paying $50 to renew my license. Want to save money then issue free lifetime licenses like many other countries.

N6ATF likes this.
  15. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the selling points the ARRL has used to justify their membership dues is their advocacy and “spectrum defense” for amateur radio. Their failure to even recognize the threat posed by the RAY BAUMS act to the amateur service is telling. Putting a $50 fee on new licenses will kill any kind of youth licensing outreach. This could wind up being a way to back door enough attrition in amateur radio to justify selling off our spectrum.

KG7WBW and N6ATF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.