ad: MyersEng-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I said it was an example (they're not closed here, you can use the drive-through). Pick the indulgence of your choice and cut back there so you can afford your license.

Chris

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, how many hams who have violated the rules and have thousands of dollars
    in equipment in their shack try to get their fine reduced because the plead hardship and an inability to pay?
    It just seems to me, if you're on the air breaking the rules, cussing etc. and the FCC knocks on your door,
    there should be no hardship etc. If you can't pay, the FCC should seize your equipment, antennas etc. and
    sell it off to settle as much of your debt as possible, or, if you own a house, be able to put a lien
    on it until your debt is paid. Look at what the IRS can do to you if you don't pay your taxes.
    They can seize your house, bank accounts, business etc. Look at what happened to CB radio in the 1970's.
    My dad in the latter half of the 1970's paid a $20 fee for his call, KYH-0398. What happened? Many people
    didn't get licensed and the Citizens Band went crazy to the point the FCC just didn't have the resources
    to enforce the rules. The fee was dropped to $4, and while that got more people licensed, the enforcement
    dropped off. I've scanned the CB frequencies over the years, and unless there was interference and complaints,
    the FCC did nothing about people who were running thousands of watts of power. This is just my opinion, but
    if the FCC went after the rule breakers, and got rid of the so-called "hardship" pleas, and actually collected the
    fines imposed, they would be in better financial shape.

--KD7YVV

WQ4G likes this.
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Poor example if it doesn't reflect reality.

Totally agree!

Regards,
    -Bruce

K3XR likes this.
  4. KI4POT

If I buy a license for everything I'm likely to do in a year (fishing, bear/deer hunting via smokeless and black powder) I'll end up spending about $70/year on licenses in Virginia.

Chris

WN1MB likes this.
  5. KI4POT

It reflects reality here.

Chris

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t agree with your analysis that amateurs are exempt from administrative fees.

Clearly in Section 9 there is a distinction made between an amateur radio operator licensee and a non-commercial radio or TV station. The exact same language of non-commercial radio or TV station was used in section 8, so it doesn’t include amateurs. Had Section 8 been intended to exempt us it would have said so, as was done in Section 9.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't give 'em any ideas.

8. K8BPZ

K8BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is not much incentive to upgrade, especially younger/new hams and older hams without much retirement income.

9. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I always like to know what my money is going to buy me. What am I going to get for the $50.00. I just renewed my Advanced class license and not not want to upgrade to the new code less extra class license, so this will not affect me for almost a decade. Other posts are saying that they will cancel their ARRL membership to pay for this. I do not have to worry about that as I have never been nor never will be a member of the ARRL

10. KM6EVP

KM6EVP Ham Member QRZ Page

As we can see, the changes can be brutal for an "average ham radio Joe". Many "Ham radio operators" will not be happy of these changes and in reality this will drive them "The ham radio operators" to either drop their Licenses and use the easy route to "illegal operation" or in other words the use of "Pirate bands" in their minds been free of use. The FCC system is becoming a failure by taking some unnecessary actions and pursuing to diminish the "Hobby" to the lowest levels. Some other countries have it more organized without monetizing and squeezing the "operators necks" with even a better and "privileged" frequency range with only one license compared to the way the FCC in the US handles and manages the licensing system. It is a shame to see this changes becoming a reality, but it is what it is, specially when "The swamp" is becoming more "swampier" than it was.

N6ATF, WQ4G and (deleted member) like this.
  11. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This will be the first hobby that the volunteers have to pay to work for nothing. Go figure.
    It all comes down to money sooner or later. Where is the giving?
    I'd like to find out as well what my $50 bucks is going to get me?
    This will definitely cause an additional drop in licenses.
    However, if you've taken a look at all the expired licenses the 10 y/o call signs are the most that are dropping. >4900 just in "7" land. WOW

N6ATF likes this.
  12. WN1MB

Easy answer: your license and use thereof - for ten years. You know, just like your driver's license, except you're driving a radio instead of a car.

K8PG and K2CD like this.
  13. AC5H

AC5H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's only an annoyance to me. HOWEVER- The lifeblood of this hobby is young people whose numbers are declining due to cell phone usage, etc. We really need to at least waive it for those under, say, age 21.

W1YW likes this.
  14. WN1MB

Why?

K3XR and KU4X like this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Jack Vanity calls to $200 or more and leave everyone else alone. There needs to be a steep price for vanity, very steep.

AD5HR and WN1MB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.