FCC MUM ON MORSE CODE ISSUE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. NO8M

NO8M Ham Member QRZ Page

Joshua,
    Not sure if you can get away with this, but what I did to prepare for the code test was to spend my lunch hour on the computer taking practice morse tests on www.aa9pw.com. For the last few weeks before I took the test (that was in January) I did 2 or 3 practice tests a day while eating the lunch my XYL lovingly prepared for me. And you know what? I passed, no problem. Now I just have to reprogram my head to work at higher speeds...because that 5wpm stuff is a mental deathtrap of counting dits and dahs.

Either way, good luck to you when you get the opportunity to knuckle down and knock it out. ;-)

2. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just for clarification:

It takes about 10 minutes to log in to QRZ.COM and read new messages, maybe longer if you type responses. 10 minutes CW practice with a program like www.morsecat.de a day is enough to learn the code in 60 days or less.

We can do without you for 60 days and when you pass your test, we'll give you a BIG welcome back!! [​IMG]

3. N3WRH

N3WRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well when the goverment stated better learn the code well....... Learn it i have been trying for 4 months ill try some more and take element one I took my general theory apr and passed i dont want it to go so goverment hard at work oh well

4. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You see me posting a lot, but my job has me in and out of this guard shack (yes, I'm a rent a cop) constantly.

I post pretty steadily, yes, but some posts are the result of coming in, typing a few letters, helping a truck driver, typing another sentence, checking a truck out, answering the phone, answering the radio (the work one) typing a few more, etc.

From what I've heard from many, you need uninterrupted time periods, but not to exceed 20 minutes. Avoid burnout [​IMG]

And I don't get a lunch break here. Since I'm the only guard at the gate, except for when I lock it for bathroom breaks, I'm 'on duty' for 8 hours. Lunch is achieved by having a few bites between trucks [​IMG]

But hey, I'll get it. I'm still crossing fingers and toes to be out here 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I don't mind the job. Just living here 6 days a week in excess of 8 hours a day is the issue, really. Ok, truck drivers who don't bathe are an issue too. Different topic for a different thread.

I also don't "zed" much from home at all. On rare occasions. This just fills the momentary gaps. I read the mail more than posting, definetely.

(Note: Posting this at 12:45. Started this at 12:29. Few interruptions)

5. N3PKC

N3PKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow all the no-coders are against dropping cw requirements, in fact so was I before I upgraded while this was being discussed a couple of years ago. Who is the ARRL speaking for when drafting these proposals to begin with?

6. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an observation...

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Why doesn't Fred, our humble host here on QRZ.com, get flamed for starting a Code/no Code thread?</span>

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

So far, just me on this thread.  I'm in the minority, definetely.  I know this because I'm lumped into that majority quite often [​IMG]

I'm sure plenty of them are wondering why the heck I want code to be kept. I wouldn't be shocked if I get a few phone numbers to doctors in my messenger from them.

But hey, no biggie. I don't run out immedietely when the latest technology hits. I didn't carry a cell phone till I got remarried either. Some people can't live without them.

Someone's gotta be the odd NCT, might as well be me.

8. N3JBH

N3JBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Because he is Lord Fred and he can do what he wants.
    Ask him his possition on the code subject. it may well surprise you all. [​IMG]

9. M3KCK

M3KCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite a Flame because he has The Extinguisher!!
    es 73
    Regards,
    Andrew  M3KCK

edit:
    And was it not Fred that Started that Nprm Thread that had Hundreds of pages and Thousands of Posts??

Sit back and watch the Hit counter!!

10. kd5rpo

kd5rpo Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the FCC. The announcement shows that they are more interested in WT Docket 04-140 rather than the Morse issue. It seems to me they have the priorities in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.