ad: chuckmartin

FCC MUM ON MORSE CODE ISSUE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Fred:
    It is clear QRZ is at a loss because of your extremely low involvement with the rank & file posters here.
    The last time you made a similar comment the thread was pulled, probably by someone fearing an inquisition.

Anyway, I'd sure like to meet you sometime, perhaps over a few beers, are you a Montana native?

2. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Are you running for political office?

Yes...its only a "FEW" of the NCTs that are no code people.

3. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Oh brother!!

4. KD5KZL

KD5KZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've taken and passed all the written tests with no studing. Well, that is a slight mis-statement. I've been well trained in the U.S. Army in the principals of RF energy.
    There are a number of General, Advanced, and Extra class Amateurs that ask me for technical advice.
    I've never once resolved their issues with code, but with an operational knowledge of circuits, a knowledge about computers, and which end of the iron is hot.
    I've studied the code for 6 years now. A T still sounds like an E, an A sounds like an M or N. And all the numbers sound just the same.

Does the code show who know more about electronics and who is going to advance the hobby?

There are digital methods now that can get a signal through when you cannot even hear the code. So there goes that arguement.

Let us keep the code for those that love it so. But let us also give a small set of HF for those who do not understand the great love of the code, but who have technical skills.

5. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

You completely missed it here Charlie. For me its never been about anything other than a bunch of paranoid nerds insisting on the hazing ritual of Morse requirement. I welcome/d ANYTHING as an alternative to the GOD ALMIGHTY Morse test. Trouble shooting & repair of equipment as a test or whatever, it makes no difference. But no......that is irrelevant to the holy grail of Morse.

Be it 1, 5, or 10 years in coming, you can't imagine the JOY it will bring me when the Morse requirement is finally dropped. It will be a revisit to the place when grown men shed tears of blood over the death of the 13 & 20 wpm requirements.

6. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

kd5kzl:
     You have completely missed the boat. It is, and always has been the use of Morse as an amulet to ward off the evil people (those who don't suck up or can't) like yourself. It ain't about tech skills, its about a nerdy click. They couldn't care less about any qualifications other than the Almighty code.

7. W5IEI

W5IEI Guest

Look,
    When they drop it what we're going to get!!!
    YIPPEE!!!
    Mike

8. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL and i'm sure FISTS have code testing programs which go up to at least 45 wpm. These should be given FCC recognition for the purpose of reciprocal operation in the event the code requirement goes away.

9. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Vote for George Bush on the moon.

10. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

N7YA, you are putting out MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF TRUTH. "mostly CW and occasionally fone" I look forward to trading some dits and dahs with you.

11. W5IEI

W5IEI Guest

Snappy comeback [​IMG]

12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hear, hear!

13. KB5WX

KB5WX Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie ,

Ya done went and hit that nail on the head again . [​IMG]

14. W3DBB

W3DBB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is likely the F.C.C. will drop the Morse Telegraphy testing requirement in the next couple of years or whenever they get around to it. The driving force behind the elimination of the CW test requirement seems to come from those with a pecuniary interest in the Amateur Radio Service. I'm talking about ham equipment manufacturers, publishers, and others who make their living off this hobby/service/whatever. For the business to remain viable in the face of declining marginal profitability the high moguls of ham radio need greater numbers of licensees. They will soon find out (again) their memory is defective, as they learned the first time in 1987 with Novice Enhancement and again in 1992 with the Codeless Technician license.

Check out sometime what our nation's Founding Fathers had to say about factions, and the creation of same. The Codeless Technician license was a popular, yet awful idea as it created a permanent underclass of amateur radio operators. Traditions of amateur radio operators, a sub-set of tradions of the human race, are too important to be screwed around with in a cavalier fashion.

This problem has roots reaching back decades. Before 1935 the F.C.C. and Federal Radio Commission had CW exams first at 5 wpm, and later 10 wpm. From what I've been able to find, the learning plateau that occurrs between 10 and 15 wpm was known at that time. The raising of the CW test requirement to 13 wpm in the mid-1930's seems to be the genesis of all of the CW testing headaches. This was an early failed attempt to 'improve the breed', a precursor to the Incentive Licensing fiasco 30 years later.  My belief is the 13 wpm requirement of 1935 necessitated the 5wpm Novice Class in 1952. But back then at least, the Novice Class license was a one-year only non-renewable ticket that made some sense. It was either up (to General) or out, or start again.

The 5 wpm requirement for a General or Extra Class license is minimal. The only valid reason a liberal guy like me can see for not being able to accomplish this is either medical or psychological. Unfortunately, the lowered CW test requirements for a General or Extra class license, implemented in the year 2000, created more destructive factions (5 wpm Generals, 5 wpm Extras).

A perusal of any of these code/no-code threads will reveal the bickering factions express enmity running long and deep. And with a Federal Communications Commission that exists ultimately to serve 'we the people' signalling it's intention to create more destructive factions (no code Generals, no code Extras) in the near future, the movers and shakers in the business of ham radio will be disappointed once again.

Those failing to learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Doug Burlew
    KA3TGV

15. KI4HPW

KI4HPW Ham Member QRZ Page

From the original post: "And it further proposed to adopt a rule to limit the number of applications a licensee may file on a given day for the same vanity call sign."

Somebody help me on this one. Why would someone apply for the same vanity call more than once--much less on the same day. Are vanity call signs handed out by lottery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.