ad: MyersEng-1

FCC ISSUES NPRM TO ELIMINATE CODE REQUIREMENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1MH

K1MH Ham Member QRZ Page

N1IRL[/quote]

"Catch the new wave on the airwaves!!!"

What are you talking about? Nothing is going to change.
    What new wave? I don't see any new modes being proposed.

When the code is eliminated you will still have people out there that are dead set against learning anything.

We'll see how many upgrades there are when this takes effect.

Of course we may see some ground breaking club stations. Each Walmarts, McDonalds, and Burger King could offer them as a perk for their employees. You could operate during break.

The sad part about all of this is these are adults that are acting and talking like this. This is kids stuff.

Mike - K1MH

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it would be great if all the NCT's and so on, that intend to get onto HF as soon as the CW req is lifted, started listening every night to HF--

Put some dipoles up, as high as you can;

Listen to the give and take;

Listen to how the general sense of discourse differs from repeater operation;

Listen to the lingo;

Learn how to 'zero beat';

Listen to good operating practice on HF;

Categorize what DOESN'T work: i.e. general discourtesy; unclear articulation, and so on;

Listen how to call CQ rather than saying :'listening 64';

Listen to the DX, figure what the good times of day are to what region;

Check out the telnet DX clusters if you wish;

And so one.

HF is a different world, a world you are being welcomed to, and one that you should be a big part of.

But keep in mind the 'corporate culture' is there, and it has an almost 100 year tradition. It hasn't changed-- because it works.

Get ready to have some great fun and be PART of that tradition!

Chip N1IR

3. K1MH

K1MH Ham Member QRZ Page

No I don't think that can possibly happen because according to many posts I have seen all of the NCI members are being held back by 5 WPM and we are going to see some truly magnificent stuff from this group.

I found the reason they aren't allowed to think for themselves they are wired together and pool their brain power. I hear its all tied to big computer in NH or on the Jersey Shore somewhere. Not buying it? Me neither.

According to the posts I have been reading SSB will disappear and all of the No-Coders, who aren't allowed to think or speak for themselves, (N1UUG) will be operating using all of the digital modes.

To tell you the truth I am kind of curious to see what people that aren't allowed to think or speak for themselves have to say. Will they become a network of repeaters that constantly repeat, "Catch the new wave on the airwaves!!! "

I know I can't wait!

Mike - K1MH

[​IMG]

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see the person wanting to use a high gain antenna on Amateur frequencies for WiFi.  They would have to know about antenna design, that is obvious.  Since they are on Amateur frequencies they would have to know about how to ID properly.  Allowed bandwidth and frequencies would come into play.  Knowledge about emergency communications would come up, if only to assure that they do not interfere.  RF safety and maximum legal output would have to be known.  Basics of transmission lines, electronics, Ohm's law, and waveforms.  Things like digital logic, oscillators, and RF PA design might be handy, if not necessary for the project.  I think I covered it, but it sounds very close to the topics covered in written tests for an Amateur radio license.

I think I answered your questions.  You probably didn't like my answer though, since what I just described is just about every topic seen on the current written tests. While a person may choose to be oblivious to other modes they can still get the 75% correct required to pass the tests.

Morse code knowledge is only required if one wishes to operate CW by hand. A person can be oblivious to Morse code if operating by computer, just like a person doesn't need to be able to decode PSK 31 by ear before operating that mode.

If that is all you got to defend Morse code testing you have to work harder... much harder.

5. K8EF

K8EF Ham Member QRZ Page

well times are changeing and so should ham radio it is clear that are numbers are dwindling and getting new hams interested in our hobby is hard in the information age at best,i think dropping the code requirement will make upgradeing alot more attractive to novice and n\c techs stuck above 50 mhz phone operation but i do not belive it will attract new hams by any means,me myself being in radio over twenty years twelve of it as a ham i have not run out of new things our modes to operate on above 50 i,m plenty busy with my 220 reapeaters and ssb2 ssb6 ssb440 sat work and digital modes echolink irlp packet who in world in the first 15 years in this hobby would even want, or have time to compeat for bandspace with every one crying and arguing on the hf bands.i think ham radio needs to move with the times to compeat with the internet and big cell companys to get some new calls out there after all this hobby is a hard enough job to stay on the air and maintain a active station when 24 million people just have to sit in front of a computer to work the world and comunicate we have alot to compeat with now to recruit new calls well mabey some oof you hf operators can dust off those old 220 radios and help us young guys keep the alocations we have and not lose any more band space to big money companys that are eager to pay big $$$ for the space they say we dont use blow the dust off that vhf uhf gear and get on the air and remember the next time your on the road and see that big cell tower that they are all lisenting and want YOUR!! alocation to line those pockets of them fine italian suits they wear any way i spent more than my two cents 73 and hope to here you on the air 223.880 pl 123 - in nw ohio grid en81be 144.900 simplex link pl123 echolink node 233948 kb8vxh all the best:) [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. N4EDT

N4EDT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have any of you that think that code should be mandatory ever considered that it might be easier to sell that it can be fun? Have you ever thought that instead of forcing it as a prequisit for earning HF privilages that you might discuss the efficeincy and effectiveness of Code as a communicaitons tool? No just mandate it. Well that attitude is one of the factors leading to the declining numbers of licensed Hams. Oh, I know you passed your code test when it was 13 words a minute and everyone else should too. Things have changed and amateur radio must too if it is to survive. Mandate licensing and testing for all digital modes. That will kill the developments in that area too. KI4GKS

7. WD5KCA

WD5KCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, you guys that uploaded the canned comments from NCI without bothering to customize or even add a few misspelled words!

You should be embarrassed and Rettysnitched.

Maybe the "know coders" are on to something with the "laziness" dig.

8. W0LC

W0LC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can hardly wait to hear what is said and posted about the happenings on HF SSB when some of the posters on here that enjoy name calling, flaming, categorizing individuals that use CW, enjoy CW, that learned CW, tested through CW, etc., etc. get their "free upgrades" when the next phase of the Feds actions take place.

If this mentality continues on into the push onto HF SSB, I can hardly wait for the new generation of individuals that will pick up where the former lids on 14.313, 3.895, etc., and all the famous frequencies once held thier rhetoric and fueding QSOs.

It should be a real enjoyment for all of the ops out there to tune in to, stateside and foreign.

I understand where both sides come from, I don't agree with all that is stated by either side of the issue; but I certainly won't participate in that inane and childish mentality on the air let alone on the forums. When I see an obvious stupid comment or remark, I ignore it and consider the source. We have had enough of the ex-KG6IRO's, and all the rest out there. We certainly don't need more of them.

It will be great fun to entice new amateurs and motivate older amateurs when listening to the bands when more same self centered and angry individuals start hitting the PTT button on the HF SSB radios out there hiding behind anonymity.

170 pages of postings and to be sure, neither side of the issue will bend. So what is left? Insult, injury? I hope not; because if this sort of activity carries over onto HF SSB, the Feds make take other measures and NPRM's that none of us will like or be able to live with.

Think about it.

9. WA4AJ

WA4AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That just about says it all!
    A word to the wise is sufficient.
    73 de W4LAE [​IMG]

10. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

kc0lxk:
    "Let's see the person wanting to use a high gain antenna on Amateur frequencies for WiFi.  They would have to know about antenna design, that is obvious."

Why? You can buy off-the-shelf high gain wifi antennas right off ebay. You don't need to know anything about how they work.

kc0lxk:
    "Since they are on Amateur frequencies they would have to know about how to ID properly."

What do they need to know? Since they are using a published data protocol (considered to be RTTY by the FCC) they can identify using the inherent protocol used between the wifi units themselves. All they need to know is that they need to identify. Since some of the wifi equipment has Linux loads available for downloading into the firmware they will have the cron command available for doing the identification.

kc0lkx:
    "Allowed bandwidth and frequencies would come into play."

Why? The bandwidths used by the units are fixed based on the protocol in use between the units. So are the frequencies.

kc0lxk:
    " Knowledge about emergency communications would come up, if only to assure that they do not interfere."

Why? If the units they are using are operating in the amateur bands why should they have to worry? Remmber, the FCC said there are no objective means for measuring technical and operating skills. Isn't knowing where your unit is operating a "technical" skill? If you can't objectively measure this skill, how will you test for it?

kc0lxk:
    " RF safety and maximum legal output would have to be known."

Why? The commercial antennas that would be used meet liablity requirements if used as intended. If you aren't going to modify the transmitting units that meet FCC requirements and are using commercial antenna units that meet FCC guidelines as well as liablity requirements why would you need to know anything about RF Safety? Or maximum legal output?

kc0lxk:
    " Basics of transmission lines, electronics, Ohm's law, and waveforms.  Things like digital logic, oscillators, and RF PA design might be handy, if not necessary for the project."

Why? These wifi units can be purchased right off the shelf at Best Buy. I saw them there just this afternoon. If I plug a commercial antenna purchased off of ebay into them and
       ****   That's the only reason I need a ham license ***
    why should I have to be tested on all the other stuff?

kc0lxk:
    " I think I covered it, but it sounds very close to the topics covered in written tests for an Amateur radio license."

What you covered was the stuff that would be needed if someone were intending to build non-FCC approved equipment.

But if the people doing this are just like the no-code techs that just want to plug their 746pro into a vertical antenna and work DX then why should they have to be tested on anything?

kc0lxk:
    "I think I answered your questions."

No, you didn't. You put forth the requirements for someone doing experimental work advancing the radio art. You didn't answer anything for either someone who just wants to get on the air and talk or just hook up a long-distance wifi link to their buddies house using FCC approved equipment and commercially designed antennas.

kc0lxk:
    "  You probably didn't like my answer though, since what I just described is just about every topic seen on the current written tests.  While a person may choose to be oblivious to other modes they can still get the 75% correct required to pass the tests."

There isn't anything wrong with your answer, but just like the no-code techs who say they shouldn't have to learn Morse Code because they will never use it, these folks will never measure bandwidth or frequency, will never be involved in emergency communications, will never need to worry about RF safety, will never have to design any equipment, will never be involved in transmission line measurements or impedance calculations, or any technical stuff at all.

The only thing you have come up with is that they will need to know they need to identify themselves every 10 minutes.

THAT is the only thing that would need to be on any test they take. That could be a warning lable on the back of the registration card they send into the FCC to get their license and everything would be copacetic using the logic the no-code upgrade advocates use.

If your never going to use anything on the test then why is it on the test. Do I have that right?

You still haven't answered that fundamental question.

tim ab0wr

11. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm.... 100 K instead of the 60 that CW resides in nowadays? Sounds good to me.....

12. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pay attention, fella!! There are quite a few trying to do just that!!

The only people saying CW woin't go away are those on CW now. The strong push is to ban it, just as spark was banned.

13. K7JAZ

K7JAZ Guest

That's a good positive, constructive and helpful post. It's a shame it's the only one like it I've seen in this thread so far.

Dang, Chip; you're almost making me regret all the nasty things I've posted to you in the past!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I did answer your question.  But just as I thought you didn't like the answer.  I thought you were talking about Part 97 operation, but you shoot me down claiming, basically, that everything falls under Part 15.  Which is it?

You talk about hard coded frequency controls and then talk about reloading the base station with Linux.  If you wipe the original firmware to load another, the frequency and power limits are now gone.  The control operator would have to know about Amateur frequency bands to make sure they were within their legal limits.  That would also apply to the hard coded frequencies, a person would have to know the original hard coded frequencies were on a legal Amateur band.  I could go on and on about how your explanation is flawed but you don't seem to have the grasp on FCC rules and radio electronics like you claim you do.

15. K2XI

K2XI Ham Member QRZ Page

If this goes through . Ham is DEAD. remember C.B. when it was required to have a license ? We all know the truth. bottom line we have the guys that earned it and the ones that want a free pass.
    K2XI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.