FCC fees for amateur radio - updates on implementation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Jul 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8QWS

N8QWS Ham Member QRZ Page

If they have a thousand cell phones and chargers to hand out in an EMP proof Faraday cage along with a few mobile Cellular repeaters to stage in areas for total coverage maybe they don't.. Otherwise they will just kick in your door and confiscate any working gear you have which seems to be the plan now days..

M1WML and KO4ESA like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You want to complain! Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. N2EY

No. VE means Volunteer Examiner.

Why not do some RESEARCH?

This isn't a new thing just being announced.

There will be fees for new licenses, renewals, upgrades and vanity calls. Address changes will be free.

KC1ILH, W7ASA, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2EY

Thanks!

Parking at the doctor and amateur licenses have never really been free. They were just paid for differently.

In the case of our licenses, the taxpayers have been subsidizing us for decades.

If they took installment plans it would be more.

If a person can't afford the license, how can they afford the radio?

Pass the hat every 10 years.

The reality is that we've been getting a free ride from the taxpayers for 44 years. We get to use pretty nice slices of spectrum, a wide variety of modes, power up to 1500 watts, using almost any radio gear we want - isn't that worth less than a penny a day?

Is your income the same as it was 10 years ago?

8% of $35.00 is $2.80

It was your legislators in Congress who passed Ray Baum's act, which REQUIRED FCC to enact fees.

And....there is a way to get a FREE renewal, if you act fast.

----

What has really happened is that The Congress has decided that those who have the benefit of transmitting on the radio spectrum should pay for it, rather than being subsidized. And thus the license fees.

Part of your cell phone bill pays for the spectrum auctions.

KD5BVX and KO4ESA like this.
  5. W5DMA

W5DMA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind to pay fee if the FCC stands behind the statement on every f...ing item's label that it shouldn't cause harmful interferences. Now with noise floor of S9 I have to forget about having DX QSOs even though my signals reach far far away. All I have is the Reverse Beacon Network reports that say I have been heard when I actually can't hear back any weak signal, so it's a NO NO for me for any license yearly fees. One time fee is OK though. Not to even mention permanent RTTY services exactly on the FT8 frequencies and other commercial services within the HAM bands.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I’d like to see the fee set at $50 for new/renewal license, and call changes. There are way too many people changing their call way too often. Looking at profiles on here, there are people that have had 3, 4, 5, plus calls issued in less than 5 years. All it does is block others from potentially getting those calls for 2 years.

K8PG, KR3DX and KO4ESA like this.
  7. KG5WRN

KG5WRN Ham Member QRZ Page

In 2021 $374 Million dollars of federally collected U.S. tax dollars were appropriated for FCC activities (including infrastructure and enforcement).
    $200.73 Million of that was paid out as salary alone, leaving $173 Million to be used to serve the Amateur Radio Community. Not even close to the lion's share.
    Of the 1,492 FCC employees a whopping 623 FCC employees make between $155,000-$170,000/annual salary. Source: Federal Communications Commission Salary Statistics (federalpay.org)

For 2022 the FCC will receive an additional $14 Million totaling $388 Million. Source: Appropriations Committee Releases Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Services and General Government Funding Bill | House Committee on Appropriations
    But with $388 Million, who knows how they'll ever provide us with the infrastructure and enforcement needed...
    I attached the sources of information I cited so other financially interested individuals may review the rest of the $29.1 Billion American tax dollars appropriated.

KC1ILH and KO4ESA like this.
  8. AD2CI

AD2CI Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it when PEOPLE capitalize certain WORDS, as if to express SHOCK and EXASPERATION! They must be LOOSING their MINDS, or something?

AG5CK, KC1ILH, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  9. AD2CI

AD2CI Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a DEEP BREATH and relax.

KO4ESA and KD5BVX like this.
  10. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do people continue to act like the $35 fee is supposed to go to enforcement or that it somehow goes to salaries? It doesn't and wasn't ever said it would.

K8PG, N2EY, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.