ad: chuckmartin

FCC Allows Remote Testing!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0DHG, May 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5FJG

W5FJG Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Without the course, one cannot complete the application. That's different. It's a complete training course to allow one to carry a gun concealed. Assuming you're legal otherwise to do so. (Not much different from the FCC, which has it's own character requirements.)

Not a huge digression.... If I can complete a concealed handgun permit online and only see a real person when I take my picture and pick up my card, then it's not the end of the world if we test for amateur licenses online too. And they don't even need a mug-shot. :)

3. KE8OIR

KE8OIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I tested with W5YI-VEC, and it was a very good experience. My timing in getting interested in amateur radio fell after the stay-at-home orders befell us and at present, I'd have had to wait until August at the earliest to test locally in person. Instead, I was able to buy books, study, watch a few youtube videos, and run through practice tests leading up to the exam. I also obtained my Bachelor's Degree online through Western Governors University. The stage of my life and career I was in when I went back to finish meant that online was the only viable option for me.

That said, I strongly believe in the human component and try to interact with others as much as I can. But being relegated to staying at home and no large group gatherings, aspiring hams need alternatives means of training, mentoring and progression. Online exams should be a trivial concern. It's time to move forward, and I, for one, am very grateful for the VECs that are thinking about the here and now, and the future.

BTW, I've already submitted a ticket to update to my callsign: KE8OIR

N0TZU, WD5HNI, KA3QOT and 3 others like this.
  4. W4JF

W4JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

55% of technician class licensees drop out of ham radio. Why? Apparently most of them had no burning desire, no drive, no learning, no appreciation or wonderment about radio, and found quickly that you actually need to know a few things to enjoy the hobby/service. But on the subject at hand, I have no problem with remote testing as long as there is some kind of verification process that prevents cheating. Becoming a ham has been so watered-down by the FCC with the support (sometime silent support) of the ARRL. And to another posters comment...I agree....I don't think the FCC really gives a rats behind about the amateur radio service. We are witnessing that in the gigahertz bands. Not enough people (and I am talking 30 and 40 year-olds) are coming into the hobby. Why would they? What in the world would be their motivation? All of the podcasts today talk about how to get young people into ham radio. Nobody has an answer, not even a decent answer. You can thank the internet and cell phones for dimming the usefulness of the amateur radio service. So if you want remote testing, great. Just do it right, otherwise, why not just deregulate the entire amateur radio service and spectrum into a fancy CB entity. It's almost there anyway if you listen to the SSB-end of most bands that are open during this dreadful sunspot minimum.

G7NFP and KA2FIR like this.
  5. WB3BMS

WB3BMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got an MSEE from Georgia Tech 30+ years ago the 'old way' and got an MSCS from Georgia Tech last year all online. All tests were administered remotely via https://www.proctortrack.com/ and I had extensive interaction and collaboration w/classmates and instructors via canvas, bluejeans, and hangouts. Having done it both ways, for me anyway, online is/was the way to go. Ham radio should be on the vanguard of technology like this, not clinging to archaic and unnecessary tradition and formality. We should embrace the new opportunity for licensing and still seek to encourage new hams to join local clubs. Thinking back, I've never joined a club because they offered exams, I've joined to use their repeaters, attend field day, etc.

W4MMR, N6HCM, N6ATF and 5 others like this.
  6. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree anyone that has the technical savvy to defeat a online testing system would find it easier and less trouble to just study the material and pass the test.
    Tests can be structured to minimize cheating. As a TA in college I have seen multiple choice exams that were nominally open book but anyone who used their notes or text book were the ones ultimately that failed. Consulting texts and notes during an exam chews up a lot of time.

Just my thoughts

Graham

K7ANK, N6HCM, N6ATF and 3 others like this.
  7. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

If this is the man from the Laurel VEC, he is arrogant, selfish, cocky and should be forced to step down from that role. And I will do EVERYTHING I can to have him removed.

And why are you defending this idiot? He can't defend himself?

This man, in my view, is a dictator. And he's the reason young people don't go into the hobby.

VE3GCX and K9UR like this.
  8. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm working on that right now to have him removed.

K9UR likes this.
  9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Correspondence courses have been offered for higher education for years before the proliferation of online academics.
    It seems that correspondence degrees had always have had the reputation of being less worthy than a traditional degree. Often times this might've rightfully been the case . So many fraudulent and poorly accredited curriculum gave such form of study a bad reputation.
    With the rise of the internet the explosive growth of nontraditional education proliferated along with many fraudulent paper degree mills that published so many fake doctorates. However? Similarly there also was greater growth of traditional accredited academic institutions that have managed to offer education opportunity via online making for more affordable and economical way to educate the masses. Many that might not afford the vast amount of time and money to receive traditional educational degrees. As more of these have found acceptance and grown more the norm and popular form of opportunity.
    The question is, does this truly require less dedication or does this make it a less worthy effort or diminish the prestige of obtaining a degree by such means?
    Surely with the past reputation of fraudulent Correspondence Courses certainly doesn't help secure popular opinion. But as more mainstream takes online study this opinion begins to fade.
    The question is has this gone mainstream enough and is it in fact the individual able to demonstrate the dedication effectively enough that the general amateur community respects this system of entry.
    Traditionally amateur radio was considered a prestigious institution.
    Does online lessen the prestige of similar institutions?
    Modern attitudes change across society.
    It is an ackward time for many traditionalist.
    As progress seems to indicate, the general long-term members of this community believe that the dedication required for entry has continued with a reduction of tradition.
    Does online exams reduce the dedication and is it easier or the potential for fraud any greater?
    Perhaps we should put less emphasis on multiple choice questions and require more emphasis on apprenticeship and do more to mentor and set a higher example of respect for the traditions. Practice a higher standard and initiate the new ham through a sponsorship of peers that live by a higher standard and value. Put more prestige back into the community.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    KC9YGN and AF7XT like this.
  10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hummm

That sounds like a damning indictment of character to me. I'd like to know what you base that personal attack on .

Okay , now what little credibility you had disappears entirely . Is it impossible for you to do any fact checking and due diligence on a given subject if only to the extent of attributing a dubious quote to

N6ATF likes this.
  11. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think remote radio license exam testing is long overdue, as is doing a lot of other things remotely as well. We have had the technology for some time now, but it’s been employed mostly in large companies and a few other situations, like some in education. It’s taken the tragedy of the Coronavirus to overcome inertia and make it mainstream in other areas.

Many things we just accepted as requiring in-person interaction are now being done remotely. We even do routine doctor ”office” visits now by teleconference. And once this virus is no longer a threat, society won’t go back to the way it was.

Traveling to do something non-critical like take a ham radio test will seem as anachronistic as taking a horse and wagon to town on market day and bartering chickens for supplies.

KA3QOT, N6ATF, W9AFB and 1 other person like this.
  12. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those using online college courses as justification for promoting more online amateur radio testing:

Do you think the overall value of a College Diploma has gone up or down over the last 30 years? Honestly, college degrees now hold about the same value as high school diplomas did some 30 to 40 years ago. Now, that's not to say their value has diminished specifically and only because of online testing.... but the proliferation of taking tests while covered in Cheetos didn't help.

I find it odd that the two areas are being conflated.

WA5VGO and K6LPM like this.
  13. EA7FV

EA7FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it depends on the way the test is established more than other things because at the end the candidate need to study and that's is what it is.
    For example, AARC VEC does online tests with a present proctor dificulting strange things, whereas ARRL has performed tests remotely in the anctartica(are those licensees worthless or valueles?)
    Does people only value "online licenses" where it has taken place in such a location like that but no other common places? Or is just a matter of complaining because they complain about everything, as an ARRL and AARC VE I can say that the integrity of the tests has not been compromised because the AARC choose the VEs you are going to collaborate so you can't just throw a $100 note under the door... or at least is as difficutl as the normal session.
    Again you're supposed to keep integrity of the system itself, if you doubt of that integrity is kind a doubt of yourself(not you as KG5CJA I'm referring to a general case)

73's
    EA7KCH / AK2GR

N6ATF likes this.
  14. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting reading all your opinions.

I am from UK where only the Foundation test is available online.

It's only a matter of time before the next 2 stages are available online. Some question how they will overcome the practical test required in the intermediate exam. They overcame that in the Foundation exam by simply abolishing it.
    So they will do the same with the next stage. Although the technology exists to create "virtual" practical tests, l very much doubt that they would even consider that.

A guy who sat that test
    was telling me that he had to fit a plug on the coax. Then fit a mains plug on the wire. Most 10yr olds would have no difficulty passing those tests. If l was presented with such tests as an adult l would see it as an insult to my intelligence.

They changed the exam structure in UK several years ago. Which means that all 3 stages must be passed in order to obtain a full licence.

In the 90s that was not the case. We could sit the RAE which was a 2 part City & Guilds exam. That gave us a B license. If we wanted an A licence then we had to take the Morse test.
    However the Morse test has now been abolished in most countries.

But no more jumping straight to the top anymore (as l did).
    But l didn't see it as an easy way in as l can recall that those exams were very difficult, many failed them.
    When l saw the questions in the "modern" exams l thought someone was having a laugh.
    It's no longer difficult to get into ham radio.

I assume that it's always been a requirement to sit all stages of the exams on your side of the pond. No sitting the top exam, skipping the first stages?

Is there an age limit to sit ham exams in USA?
    I assume it's about 14 over here as that's the youngest person l have heard with a licence.
    But that was 20yrs ago so things may have changed. Having seen those Foundation exam questions, many 11yr olds would have little difficulty passing those exams.

15. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have done a bit of analysis on the best data I could find regarding total amateur radio license numbers and total amateur radio licenses as a percentage of the total U.S. population. The data may not be accurate or complete but it is the best data I could find.

Total licenses (all license classes) - June 97 - 678,473 - 0.24 percent of the total population.

Total licenses - June 2007 - 654,695 - 0.22 percent of the population

Total licenses - June 2017 - 743,894 - 0.23 percent of the population

Total licenses today - 762,907 - 0.23 percent of the population

How is Amateur Radio dying if we don't immediately introduce online testing? Aside from the COVID-19 lockdown? Seems to me Amateur Radio has been relatively stable as a niche hobby for the last 23 years...and this data spans across great increases in telecommunications infrastructure and computer technology. It includes the growth of cellular access, the birth of smartphones, the expansion of broadband internet access, and multiple generations of computer technology and software. Seems HAM radio is just fine without online only testing.

Last edited: May 7, 2020