ad: QSLWorks-1

FCC Allows Remote Testing!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0DHG, May 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I guess I’m a virtual driver because I’ve been renewing that license online for - I don’t know how long!

N6HCM likes this.
  2. N1CCK

N1CCK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m glad they did. In text i read it like you were saying their license wasn’t the same as if it were taken in-person, kind of like the “no-code” connotations.

N6ATF likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-5-7_17-31-55.png

Which definition fits?

Any use of the word degrades the person it is aimed at. But you knew that already.

KE8OIR likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Screenshot_2020-05-07-19-56-39.png Don't blame me that's what the younger kids were saying they like being " virtual kids"
    Maybe that's old people are the ones that Re out of touch!!! Just because something's in Webster's doesn't mean how it's used that way nowadays.
    In fact I've heard many kids asked " what is Webster's".

5. WR5B

WR5B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is this much energy being wasted on worrying about people cheating on a test that has all of the questions and answers publicly available?

I don’t condone cramming questions to pass the test, but honestly, with free tools like Ham Study and the QRZ practice tests available it is almost foolish to sit the exam before you have taken enough practice tests to have seen every question that could possibly be on the exam.

Online testing only serves to reconcile for formal need to have a proctored exam for licensing with the reality that with the resources available to new potential hams in 2020, these exams should never be failed regardless of if it is online or in person.

People losing their minds over the completely unreasonable possibility of rampant cheating should really be clamoring to get rid of the public availability of the question pools or bringing back code. They won’t be doing that though because it requires more effort than typing strongly worded forum posts on QRZ.

N6HCM, N6ATF and N3FAA like this.
  6. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes l agree that guys worry too much about cheating. We have exams that the average 8yr old can pass, so would people really want to suffer the shame of getting caught cheating.
    And how many 8yr olds have photo id anyway?

I recall a log entry back in 2005, which was on this site if l remember correctly. It was a QSO between myself & an American station.

Problem is that l was too busy with my career back then. Hell l never even had a radio.
    So either the station got the callsign wrong or someone used my callsign, perhaps knowing l was not on air at that time.

But l didn't bother to correct it, or did l lose any sleep over it.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    N6ATF likes this.
  7. N6ATF

N6ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

I got into ham radio in 2003 in part because of my quasi-elmer orchestra director using an autopatch. Wish I could set one up in a tethered aerostat or blimp with HT coverage across San Diego County. I don't have cell service today, just a 911-only cell in the car.

8. N6ATF

N6ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait... where did that quote come from? Can anyone link to it here or share a screenshot?

I've seen some second-hand complaints about the Laurel Facebook page, but is that actually run by the VEC chairman? It's weird that it isn't a proper vanity URL & has random numbers at the end: https://www.facebook.com/Laurel-VEC-1112593565500385/

9. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

And I can get hit by a bus when I walk out the door. Amateur radio is all about new technologies and this guy is going against the way society is moving.

N6HCM likes this.
  10. KA3QOT

What are you talking about?

N6ATF likes this.
  11. KA3QOT

I know several people who are licensed as Techs and never go on the air. Total license does not equal total average users.

N6ATF likes this.
  12. KA3QOT

I know one person who received an online degree who is making over $150k a year as a software developer. Your Cheetos reference is far from accurate.

N6ATF likes this.
  13. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

amateurs no longer develop or advance technology or the hobby

N0EE, N6HCM, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  14. KA3QOT

I know one person who received an online degree who is making over $150k a year as a software developer. Your Cheetos reference is far from accurate.

15. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

As much as I hate the new digital modes, is not K1JT doing some pretty amazing weak signal work? Maybe the the advancement of technology by amateurs is slower, but surely there is still some....

N6ATF and K6LPM like this.