ad: Alphaant-1

Exothermic Ground Rod

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Sep 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Now apologize.

Try reading from the start and you might understand he got what he asked for.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to see some pictures of that.

3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well it hasn't happened as of late at least not at my QTH because I don't use them anymore.

4. W4HM

This is probably not well known but a direct lightning strike to a ground rod(s) can fuse the soil surrounding the rod(s) into a glass type encasement effectively making the ground rod(s) insulated from contact with the soil and useless. It's like a Fulgurite with a steel/copper rod inside it.

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the so called "direct lightning hits" that systems have supposedly withstood have been high voltages discharges of various intensity but not a direct lightning hit. Having had the opportunity to review forensic photographs of direct lighting hits between the 1930's and the mid 1990's I can say that I have not witnessed any lightning protection system maintaining it's integrity after a direct hit. Lightning protection systems are meant to minimize damage to a building...not survive a direct hit.

W4HM likes this.
  6. W4HM

That's correct.:)

7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Actually it is quite possible and done every single day. Cell Towers and Commercial Broadcast towers are hit everyday and suffer no damage. You do see some damage, and most I have seen that suffered damage was either poor workmanship, or non conforming practice. In other words an installer screwed up and created a path to go through the building and equipment vs around it.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

And exactly how do you differentiate between a large discharge and a direct hit? Cell towers and broadcast towers may be hit with discharges every day but of what magnitude?
    The Lightning Protection Institute archives show a little more than "some damage".
    I would side with the experts that claim the difference is due to a partial discharge and a direct hit.
    The difference in energy dissipated is huge. Your measly downcomer system in no way can survive a decent lightning hit.
    It is designed to handle a charge build up in hopes of avoiding a direct hit. When the charge build up is slow enough it works well. Unfortunately some direct lightning hits are experienced...and the results are devastating.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been at my RF sites when they have taken direct hits. It can scare the bejezus out of you, but it happens many times during the summers here with little ill effects. Twice this summer, I have had Polyphasers short due to strikes, but they are expendable protectors, and that's OK. Not all strikes are the same, they can vary in amplitude quite a bit, so nothing is 100% safe, but in the 5 years managing 16 sites with towers ranging from 40' to 300', on the Colorado plains to 11,000' mountains, the most damage we have had are blown utility meters because they (the utility) doesn't have the level of protection we do. Once you arcover a 480V, 3phase meter it's all over...

NL7W likes this.
  10. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

All magnitudes. IN TX alone there are over 6,000 towers and only God knows how many nationwide. Shear numbers alone tell a moron it happens frequently, yet little or no damage ever occurs. Like I said, when there is damage, chances are most likely a moron installer went in and screwed up the Ground Plane or used mechanical connectors.

11. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Same here, been in many a tower sites with direct hits. Even danced with Ball Lightning a few times. No damage to equipment, just underwear blown to shreds.

12. M6PKV

M6PKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Might try this too..

N5HZR likes this.
  13. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

that's a good way to get rid of the moles at my qth. my cat is slipping out their. but this was a good demo really cool. that is one big ground connection.:);) well done

N5HZR likes this.
  14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

They're attracted to sugar. Regular chewing/bubble gum clogs their digestive tract.

15. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

great tip thanks again 2nd try is always a charm on your project great job.;)