ad: cq2k-1

Exciting Bumper New Solar Cycle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Aug 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQPodcast Episode 332

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Martin Rothwell M0SGL, Ed Durrant DD5LP, Frank Howell K4FMH and Bill Barnes WC3B to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief and this episode’s feature is a discussion with Dr Scott McIntosh of the National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, the USA regarding Exciting Bumper New Solar Cycle.

ICQ AMATEUR/HAM RADIO PODCAST DONORS

We would like to thank Richard Langmead (5B4AJG) along with our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include: -
    • Researchers Predict a Surge in Cosmic Rays
    • Radio Hams Assist Teams on Ground with Contact Tracing
    • International Air Ambulance Week 2020
    • Hawaii Ham Radio exams in the USA during the pandemic
    • German Radio Amateur Falsely Accused in Greece
    • UK Ham Undertakes Lands End to John O Groats Solo Cycle
    • ARRL Board Elects New CEO
    • Findlay Radio Club Hamfest Cancelled
    • FCC Proposes to Reinstate Amateur Radio Service Fees
    The ICQPodcast can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2020-8-30_15-38-47.png

N4FZ likes this.
  2. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yawn. No sunspots again today...

W7XLR likes this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This just in: New study shows likelihood of a permanent absence of any further significant sun spot activity, apparently due to a not well understood "latching" effect of being so low for so long.

N4GST, KB1MM, W7XLR and 2 others like this.
  5. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh, link to this study?

KB7RWA likes this.
  6. AJ6KZ

Source: Me.

It was a joke. I'm just venting some frustration. :)

N4GST, W7XLR, N2GQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Maunder-Deuce"
    . Throw some wire up in the trees; 160 is the new 80

KN4EQG, N2GQ and NL7W like this.
  8. K2MQJ

K2MQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No sunspots? Love it...160, 80 and 40, my favorite DXing bands are better now. 20-15m DXing was quite boring, way too easy, no challenges.
    160 and 80 DXing take some operating skill and CW proficiency, not just a fat wallet and a loud mouth. I wish old Sol a great long snooze and pleasant dreams.

WU7X and WA4KCN like this.
  9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Good one!

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Someday, when 2200 is the only band we can make contacts, we'll all lament the days when "160 was the DX band" :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N4GST, VK5FUSE, VK5GG and 1 other person like this.
  11. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yawn............
    I won`t waste my time listening to this click bait podcast again.

KR3DX and K5VZD like this.
  12. AJ6KZ

What do you mean? This is one of my favorite podcasts. Every show features a good round-table discussion on a variety of topics by people who are experienced hams and come from a number of different walks in life. It is very down to earth and straight forward.

W7SJP and K4FMH like this.
  13. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have fun.

14. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL :)

15. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you seen all the other crap on here? I mean, without sounding like a donkey... Certain people are now being propped up by the "content creators", so the view count follows suit. All in the name of a few bucks. And the comments on these master-works are laughable, blind loyalty and genuine support!

Back to the sunspot argument. Maybe I'm not on the radio every day, but I've lived through the "dreadful" cycle 24 too, and operating QRP or mobile most of the time made it that much more difficult, not to mention the crappy dipole I had back at the shack... I can't recall myself complaining. It's still very easy to make FB contacts, even on 20 and 17m (my favorite bands).

I'm with you guys though. A few dark spots on the sun will certainly make things a tad easier for me, and my KX2 on the picnic table, as the summer fades... :)

AJ6KZ and KR3DX like this.