ad: ProAudio-1

Electrocution Poll

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by KL7AJ, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell us your experience!

2. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

220 at 20amps but it was long before I was a ham.

Don't try this at home.

3. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Repairing appliances for 20yrs I have encountered a few shocks in my life.
    Curt

4. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have got nailed countless times by outlets. My arm has been numb for hours afterword.

But, I prefer to feel for plugs and jacks around the back of equipment. One day I was working on a defunct Ten Tec PS. I was replacing the fuse, and made the mistake of leaving it on. Well, while feeling around, my finger went in the hole for the fuse. You can guess what happened. [​IMG]

5. KB3LIX/SK2023

KB3LIX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Been "BRACKED" more times than I care to remember !
    Good reason to keep one hand in a pocket at ALL times when working on anything above 15-20 volts. Had to learn that the "HARD WAY"
    BUT, it was a sincere learning experience.

Even got bracked by my -48 dc telco plant once. Never thought that -48 would feel like that.

Woo Hoo Hooey ! ! !

bill     KB3LIX

6. KC0KBH

My dad has been zapped by welders numerous times.

7. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

B & W TV Set the CRT has a charge on it even with the power off I still frogged around as a teen put my elbow to chasis and finger on the CRT, well you know what a capacitor does at discharge ?  got a poke ! .

also got bit while working on a live 120 VAC outlet had to leave the power on while replacing the electrical outlet by the way kids don't do this stuff at home, I think mainly the guys at work wanted to see if I would get a poke or not, besides computers were on line.

8. KL7AJ

I need on o' them thar pocket difibrimacators.

eric

9. KD4CFL

KD4CFL Ham Member QRZ Page

277 volts is the worst. It just hurts, and it can make you sick.
    I have been knocked down twice while working on light switches.
    It blows up real good when you short it out.
    I have even seen a coworker jump off of a twelve foot ladder to get away from it.

10. K7FE/SK2017

K7FE/SK2017 QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member

I grabbed the link coupling of a tank circuit in a transmitter with 2000 volts on it when I was 16 to adjust it for a frequency change. It knocked me out. I woke up on the floor where I had fallen, away from the transmitter. Had I fallen towards the transmitter, then my brother would be an only child.

Be careful.

Terry, K7FE

11. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'v have had 110Vac go across my hand while working on a video poker machine and it felt like a bug bite. The worst shock of my life was 20,000 volts from a car ignition coil going right across me chest, my heart hurt for a few minutes but I was ok since I was 28 at the time.

12. Hi how about our mains system here in Australia its 240 AC volts ....really something to play around with  ....makes your exit to a new-life much quicker !

73`s Roly

oh no would not like to try ours out at all ! [​IMG]

13. KL7AJ

Hey.. You're revealing your age when you talk about LINK COUPLING, you know! [​IMG]

Ahhh...such fond memories!
    \\

Eric

14. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Had my Globe Scout at the time, and it was cathode keyed. Unbeknownst to the newbie Novice (me) that meant there was B+ on the key. One day I went for the plate switch and key at the same time and ZAP!!!!!!!!!!! The B+ for the 6146 was about 750 volts and I got it all. Fortunately I was a healthy 13 year old at the time.

The stupid thing? I did it more than once. I never lost consciousness, but it sure knocked the bejeezus out of me.

You wanna talk shocks and burns? Try an RF burn - the higher the frequency, the more painful and longer lasting.

15. KC0KBH

My old lawnmower zaps me a lot. One time I was working on it, I started it up, and then purposely knocked the spark plug wire off. I was touching the handle. It started to stop from wide open, and then it started back up again without the plug wire on. It zapped me a good deal before I realized what it was coming from. The weird thing- the mower will run with the plug wire off. A little harder to start, but works fine w/out it on.

My question-
    Why sometimes when you get zapped is the part of your body hard to pull away from the thing zapping you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.