Electrocution Poll

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by KL7AJ, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'v have had 110Vac go across my hand while working on a video poker machine and it felt like a bug bite. The worst shock of my life was 20,000 volts from a car ignition coil going right across me chest, my heart hurt for a few minutes but I was ok since I was 28 at the time.

2. VK3KXW

VK3KXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi how about our mains system here in Australia its 240 AC volts ....really something to play around with  ....makes your exit to a new-life much quicker !

73`s Roly

oh no would not like to try ours out at all ! [​IMG]

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey.. You're revealing your age when you talk about LINK COUPLING, you know! [​IMG]

Ahhh...such fond memories!
    \\

Eric

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Had my Globe Scout at the time, and it was cathode keyed. Unbeknownst to the newbie Novice (me) that meant there was B+ on the key. One day I went for the plate switch and key at the same time and ZAP!!!!!!!!!!! The B+ for the 6146 was about 750 volts and I got it all. Fortunately I was a healthy 13 year old at the time.

The stupid thing? I did it more than once. I never lost consciousness, but it sure knocked the bejeezus out of me.

You wanna talk shocks and burns? Try an RF burn - the higher the frequency, the more painful and longer lasting.

5. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

My old lawnmower zaps me a lot. One time I was working on it, I started it up, and then purposely knocked the spark plug wire off. I was touching the handle. It started to stop from wide open, and then it started back up again without the plug wire on. It zapped me a good deal before I realized what it was coming from. The weird thing- the mower will run with the plug wire off. A little harder to start, but works fine w/out it on.

My question-
    Why sometimes when you get zapped is the part of your body hard to pull away from the thing zapping you?

6. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very curious, is this poll an Event or a HamFest??

Dennis [​IMG]

7. W5KLB

W5KLB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use to work on mobile electric power plants for aircraft. I was working on one that had 115VAC 200 amp 3 phase power and accidently got my probe across two phases. All I seen was a brillantly blue ball of flame and remembering waking up on my sitter seeing spots. I wasn't hurt or anything, it just taught me to pay a little closer attention to what I was doing.

8. N0PU

N0PU QRZ Member QRZ Page

When I woke up I had a lot more respect for the rules about multiple cycle discharging of capacitors in a Radar Modulator...

9. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Another BRACK in particular stands out,

One day while doing a rebuild of a directional
    AM stations phase monitoring system, I was at the base of tower #1, and for whatever reason, I grabbed the copper tubing feeding the base of the tower.

To this day, I do not know why I grabbed it, I knew it was "Hot"

Brain Phart, I guess.

Talk about an en"LIGHTNING" experience ! ! !

Fortunatly, it was only 1 kW, but it got my attention right quick.

bill       KB3LIX     [​IMG]

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without a doubt R.F. burns at A.M. broadcast frequencies are the most painful of all. I know from experience and charred flesh!

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.