ad: HamHats-1

DX Web Sites, Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA0KNP

WA0KNP Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got back on the air last February after a 15 year layoff and I am having a great time working h.f. DX with 85 watts from my ICOM IC-718 and a 70 foot random wire antenna 8 feet off the ground. I have worked 66 entities at the present time and I am hoping to hit 100 by the anniversary of my comeback in Feb of 2002 so I have a ways to go. As for those DX spots on the web...I check 'em out occasionally but I have never worked anyone who was recently spotted. I think the best comment I've seen in response to the original post was the one which said the fellow who made the original comment should have skipped the amplifier because he didn't need it anyway. I have never operated with more than 150 watts in the 40 years I have been licensed. I think guys running the big amps present more of a congestion problem than the pileups that result from the DX spots on the web. Turn 'em off and we can all have more fun! Merry Christmas everybody and 73!!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

They can be very helpful, but I tend to agree that they make it more difficult at times, especially for QRP stations. The DX sites are definitely a mixed blessing.

3. KH6DV/SK2022

KH6DV/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you have outlined the pro and con havent you. If you rely on the packet clusters you can be sure there will be a pile up when you get there. If on the otherhand you run low power and a compromise antenna you better search the band for DX stations that havent been spotted yet. I dont see the problem, The big guns who love to bust pile ups do "a" and the others do "b". I use the database on DX Summit as a research tool, being a propagation nut its a great resource. No matter how much you wish the packet clusters would go away and leave you to your just found juicy one, its not going to happen. My biggest complaint is every time I have a nice manageable pile up going someone spots it, next thing you know its out of hand and the rate goes down. This is progress, I guess,and we cant avoid it.

Ron KH6DV

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amps or no amps, it's all relative. If everyone was required to operate QRP, the same QRM would exist only at a different level. If everyone operated with 1.5kw, the QRM would be the same only at a different level. The amp WAS necessary to make the contact. I cannot support your statement that I did not need the amplifier. How would you know! Were you there?

Making a two way contact on 80 meter phone with a very weak signal, and the DX is running 1.5kw on the other end, 100 watts would not make it, unless you had an elaborate and very effective directional antenna array which I do not. Then you could possibly make it. Going to CW probably would make it on 100 watts but doing it on phone is more difficult and more challenging. A weak signal on CW is fairly easy to copy whereas on phone it is not and, I do not operate CW (that will generate alot of postings). Having the extra power capability can and does make the difference, on 80 and 160 meters.

The higher bands, I have to agree, an amp is usually not needed. Making contacts on 40-10 is easy with antenna requirments not as large. That's why I do very little operation on those bands. I go where the challenge is intense.

Reading your bio, I notice you do not operate 80 or 160. Good luck with your 100 watts on those bands if you ever intend to operate there. It's a totally different propagation world where high power is the norm and signal absorbtion is much higher. There are very few hams on those bands not using amps.

Besides, this posting is not about me using an amplifier, (waiting for the amplifier timer was an attempt at a little humor), it's about the Pro's or Con's of the DX Web Sites. Keep it on subject. No spitting please.

5. K2GW

K2GW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually all the big gun amps are the problem, not the DX Cluster. If you would have tried to work him barefoot, there's no warm-up time.

Gary, K2GW

6. WA0KNP

WA0KNP Ham Member QRZ Page

It was not my intention to insult anyone's operating procedures...just a suggestion that if you REALLY want a challenge....keep the power down, no matter what band you are operating on. But, to each his own..as long as its legal! I realize I am getting off the subject...so I will bow out gracefully!

7. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's another, similar idea. Let's say you're watching #cqdx and a report comes across that YA5T just worked a station somewhere in your general area on 10 meters. Sure enough, you fire up the rig, go to his frequency and there's a cubic acre of pileup going on. Point your beam in the general direction of Afghanistan, tune away from the pileup and you just might hear Uzbekistan, central Russia or Sri Lanka coming in. Or, if you call CQ somewhere nearby, someone in the area might come back to you. After all, DX is a two way street, and there are hams on that side of the world who might want to work you as much as you want to work them.

73, Creede

8. BEENTHERE

BEENTHERE QRZ Member

Although I do not own an amplifier; I agree with K2WH. There are times where the use of an amp is essential. Especially on the low bands, and yes, even on the other bands as well when signal absorption is high. Those who refuse to acknowledge this, simply don't understand.

9. N3WJL

N3WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I like using the Telnet Dx cluster. I've worked about 1/2 of the contacts I need for DXCC this way. The other 1/2 I've found myself. I don't see anything wrong in using it. 90% of the time I use it to see what bands are open to where and then I tune around on my own while keeping one eye on the PC for new spots to show up. It's a tool, just like computer logs and computer controled radios. No matter what the cause of the pile-up it still takes skill (and a few tricks) to get through.
    besides is it realy any different than the DX nets which the only purpose is to help you get the last few entries you need for DXCC or WAS?

Phil

N3WJL

10. NA2A/SK2023

NA2A/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe tuning around the bands,and being the first one to find that rare one for you isn't such
    a bad idea! Sometimes the old way works out better.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Dont use clusters, computers,beams or amps.Just a Jupiter , a 40m dipole and a muli-band vertical, the av640.For me the fun is hunting, finding and working the dx with 100w or less.To each his own.Still using a paper log and an old bencher paddle.

12. N3DD

N3DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill;
    Interesting subject....however the use of these dx clusters also begs the question "What next"?

Well let's see.. I can take my wonderful computer logging program and link it to the cluster to spot all the countries I need. When a new one hits it links to my beam controller, turns my beam to the proper heading, then my rig controller tunes to the proper frequency. Next thing you know we will have a program that actually works the station for you, sends and confirms an eQSL and presto...DXCC in an afternoon and you don't even have to be in the same room as your rig!!

It sounds far fetched....I hope!

73, Dom N3DD

13. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

QST ran an article about a guy who did this several years ago. Trouble is, toward the end of the article the automated system had locked the op out of his shack and was ragchewing on 80 with some of its buddies, saying nasty things about him.

I believe it was in an April issue . . .

73, Creede

14. BEENTHERE

BEENTHERE QRZ Member

HA! The best comment I've seen yet. Good one. Sounds like West World 2002 or Terminator III (The Ham Radio version).

15. SM5SIC

SM5SIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear fellow amaeurs,

May I remind, that we live in a free world and it is up to the individual ham to decide, whether he or she chooses to use dx web info or not. If somebody don´t like the Dx Summit or dx cluster, that the thrill of dx-hunting then disappears, then that person should not use dx web info. However nobody has the right to forbid or get upset about that some other amateurs like to use the Dx Summit. It´s like getting angry over that somebody has a another taste than Yourself. That is what freedom is about.

As far as piles are concerned, we should all strive for more efficient operation on the crowded bands. Since it is much more effective to deal with one owns shortcomings than other peoples mistakes, You should first focus on Your own operating habits. If You do things right, You will come through the pile with 100 watts, sooner or later, but then You must be in the right spot in the split, transmit in the right time, and be able to follow the dx-stations every move, at the best be able to anticipate what the dx-station will do next.

I You repeatly fail to get the dx-contact in the pile with 100 watts, then maybe the problem is not the gear or power but Your own way of operating. After all, there are serious dx people out there, that operate QRP. If they can do it with 5 watts or less, You must be able to do it with 100 watts. Why not have a chat with the nearest ham to You, that is on the DXCC Honour Roll? He will surely have some good piece of advice to give.

Morning about dx web sites, huge piles, lids on the bands, QRO-stations, generally speaking that things are not fair; is contraproductive and will not produce any results. Much better is to straighten Your back, tell Yourself that You are going to do what it takes, and then give Your best shot, try again if necessary, until You have that sweet dx in Your log and that nice QSL-card in Your hand.

See You on the bands

SM5SIC Göran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.